• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Harry James is 102 years old today

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Harry James is 102 years old today Reply with quote

All of you fans of Harry James, toast his 102nd birthday today with a shot of his favorite beverage...Smirnoff Red. Harry would be pleased that the trumpet world remembered him and in my case, not forgotten.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Harry James is 102 years old today Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
All of you fans of Harry James, toast his 102nd birthday today with a shot of his favorite beverage...Smirnoff Red. Harry would be pleased that the trumpet world remembered him and in my case, not forgotten.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

Red wine will have to do. Cheers, Harry! Cheers, Tony!
king leopardi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw him play back when I was in high school and was in seventh heaven. He's probably the whole reason I got interested in the trumpet.

Link

Happy Birthday, Harry
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Harry James is 102 years old today Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

Smirnoff´s off my diet but Harry is still on the plate. Hearing Harry´s Trumpet Blues made me dream of one day playing it myself - so we did, a score in concert key D (Jack Matthias), lower than the original - and the performing standard octava basso lower (double pedal range) First time 1973. A while ago.
I even have a copy of his "Harry James Trumpet Method - a school of modern trumpet playing", written by him and his father Everett (Robbins Music Corp. Copyright 1941!)) I bought it 1969.
An extremely versatile musician - capable of delivering all kinds of music in a most delicious way..
Recently I was astonished hearing his single tongue attack in Hora Staccato ; at the same time capable of such solid swinging. A true trumpet genius!
It´s really sad that he´s remembered only by us just recently having become oldtimers.
Yes - he sure is a favorite of mine.
Thanks for making me able to celebrate him!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry James was my high school band director's favorite player. So I guess my playing was influenced by Mr. James!

I especially enjoy recordings of the Harry James band when Buddy Rich played drums with them!

Thanks for the memory.

Dave
Mac Gollehon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HBD Harry James. Thanks for the heads up Tony and I will have one shot of Smirnoff and play Back Back Bay Shuffle at my gig tonight at Paris Blues.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 1953, at the tender age of 17 and learning trumpet at the local conservatory of music, the professor, during one class, asked us who our favorite player was, and all but two ( out of 13 I think ) students named Harry James, and I added that I wanted to play like Harry James. I never could, of course. But here I am, playing again after a 50 year hiatus, and still trying to play like Harry... and why not...he was the best...

Cheers to Harry James, and to you too, Tony !

PS: the text book we used was authored by Everett James, Harry's dad. I still have it and used it for my comeback.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, he was only 67.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Harry and Buddy Reply with quote

When I first joined Harry's band Buddy Rich was the drummer and the highest paid sideman in the business making $1500 per week. I joined at Harrah's Tahoe and the band room was one flight above the lounge where the band performed. At the stairway going up to the band room was a roulette wheel and Buddy was standing there when I arrived the first night. He actually spoke to me first asking "how's your chops, kid?" I answered that I had a "nick" on my top lip and he hollered back, "I didn't ask you how you felt. I asked you how's your chops?" My introduction to Buddy was to say the least, an eye opener. I walked up the stairs and met Harry in his dressing room and he couldn't have been nicer. Nick Buono, who had first joined Harry in 1939, had told me to play the opener "The Mole" absolutely as recorded because Harry would be upstairs listening and it had to be exact. Nick also told me that Harry would come down on the second number "Don't Be That Way" and stand in front of me the rest of the night. That was the audition. I was replacing Rob Turk who had told me to memorize the first 15 charts as Harry had a most unique way of counting tunes off. It was something that you learned after awhile and it resembled mind reading. Crazy but you had to be there. As for Buddy, there was one way to play a chart...his way. Harry loved him and to be honest, put up with his tantrums. It wasn't until Sonny Payne joined a few years later that Harry felt comfortable and to be honest, I had more fun playing with Sonny. Snooky Young told me that Sonny was his favorite too and there are a lot of great stories Snooky relayed to me about the "happenings" he had with Sonny. Practicing in my studio last night with a Smirnoff at hand got me thinking about all those wonderful years I was so fortunate to be a part of. Harry was checking me out over my shoulder.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this thread, and Mr. Scodwell's posts in general. I'd love to see a book on all these experiences over such an interesting career.
superviking805
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow, he was only 67.

From his biography I remember he never stopped working. He had a gig or recording, flew home to Las Vegas, got off the plane and checked himself into the hospital, and died the next day.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practically grew up with a Harry James' greatest hits type album. Later, got the sound track to Young Man With a Horn with Doris Day. Loved those recordings.

Went crazy with his Sing, Sing, Sing at Carnegie Hall (Benny Goodman) concert, too. Even later followed his under-appreciated blues band.

A legend.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, you are a treasure.

Your stories help me experience a little of what it was like to play with the greats. And Harry was a great, if not the greatest! (Don't tell Doc I said that...).

Sincerely,

Steve
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry could flat out play the crap out of the horn. I had a great uncle who was a professional trumpeter. He was on staff at some of the old theaters on the coastline of Conn. from the New Haven area on down to New York. His playing career lasted from the 20's to the early 50's. I never really heard him play as he was in his early 80's when I was born in 56 and was mostly retired.
I do know that he felt that Harry was a monster trumpeter. Uncle Louie was not easily impressed by most modern musicians of his day. He grew up in Naples and was very old school. If my Uncle Louie said Harry James was a monster on the horn, you knew it was the gospel truth.
epoustoufle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a big fan here.

You have to read the biography of him "Trumpet Blues".

https://www.januarymagazine.com/artcult/trumpetblues.html

Also the BBC radio documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfpLH9VSSYc
Paladin53

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Scodwell,
I too enjoy your stories. Every time you share one here I think what an interesting career you've had and wish you would write a book about the history you have witnessed and lived.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Practically grew up with a Harry James' greatest hits type album. Later, got the sound track to Young Man With a Horn with Doris Day.

I just watched that movie again last night after reading this thread.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that story about your audition , Tony. I'd love to read more of them. Maybe there's a book there ???
The big band era was my era and I miss it sorely.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
kehaulani wrote:
Practically grew up with a Harry James' greatest hits type album. Later, got the sound track to Young Man With a Horn with Doris Day.

I just watched that movie again last night after reading this thread.

I own the dvd and can't recall how many times I've watched it. I love it.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: