• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mark Gould on Showmanship and Nerves

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't use beta blockers because I've never felt like nervousness significantly harmed a performance of mine (at least not as an adult). Lack of preparation, or fatigue, or poorly chosen music, or adverse performing conditions? Yes, those definitely have, but nervousness really hasn't, so I don't personally see the need for any kind of nervousness-related medication.

However, I have friends and colleagues that take beta blockers - some just for auditions, and some for every performance, and these are people I like and respect both personally and musically. My opinion (take it for what it cost you...) is that we all face different and individual challenges in trying to make music the way we want to, and one individual not needing beta blockers doesn't mean that another also doesn't, or is wrong to take them.
GrowlerBox
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
I'll share my beta blocker story. West Side Story was about to open for its Fall and Winter of 2002/2003 run in Basel, Switzerland. It was a pretty intense show to put together in about just one week of rehearsal and prep time. My music director (who was responsible for getting me the job, as well as Evita earlier and Grease later), mistook my rather "energetic" (some would say "hyperactive") personality for nervousness and bugged me to try one of her beta blockers for one of the final dress rehearsal run throughs. To appease her and perhaps also to satisfy my own curiosity I relented and took one before the run through. It was a bad experience. I couldn't focus and made mistakes I know I never would have made had I not taken that pill - and as I made the mistakes, I didn't care that I made them. It was fortunate it wasn't an actual show but just one of the final run throughs.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Webcam Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested

That's a pretty extreme reaction, but a good lesson regarding the use of someone else's prescription. Do you recall the particular drug and the dose? Was your musical director's prescription for "nerves," or for some cardiac or neurological condition?
Honkie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a professional, so it does not really matter... but: I usually perform worse in public, than in rehearsals and jam sessions. I feel slightly less able to get to a comfortable, "efficient" way of playing.

Recently I was asked to perform Xmas carols solo, without accompaniment, in a non-concert format (meaning, to an unsuspecting, and potentially difficult, audience). For an hour. Nowhere to hide in this scenario. However, it went well, I just decided to focus on breathing well and enjoying the music.

This experience made me realize that performance problems I've had in the past are just psychological problems --- bad attitudes, bad perspectives. In my particular case, the problems are timidity and overthinking.

I have no interest in beta blockers and will never use them. Because of my Xmas carol experience, I have a new plan. I'm going to start busking regularly, as a soloist -- not to earn coins, but as a form of therapy, to become more firmer and more resolute in my music-making.
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In both my part time trumpet world and in my full time job (airline pilot) I find when butterflies occur it's usually due to a perceived lack of preparation or thinking about consequences rather than the task at hand. Keeping the focus on doing the job and making things work out well when the mind starts to wander helps me get back on track.
tim_wolf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do want to throw in a very interesting experience I had a few years ago with stage fright. I had a gig with a big band, and had several solos. The gig started at 3:00 PM. At about 2:45, it hit me that I had forgotten to take my propranolol. Since it takes two hours for it to "kick in," at this point it was too late.

I played great and had no issues with nerves. Why? I have no idea!
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim_wolf wrote:
I do want to throw in a very interesting experience I had a few years ago with stage fright. I had a gig with a big band, and had several solos. The gig started at 3:00 PM. At about 2:45, it hit me that I had forgotten to take my propranolol. Since it takes two hours for it to "kick in," at this point it was too late.

I played great and had no issues with nerves. Why? I have no idea!

And "no ideas had you"!!! You were able to attain that hypnagogic playful state, immersed in the music without thinking. Thatīs the way to do it!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Dark Knight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Still evaluating Reply with quote

I guess you could call it performance anxiety. For example, I would have the terrible shakes to the point where I am fighting to keep the horn on my face. It is not all the time. It depends on the "stakes". For example, in performance class it kicked up bad. Then, as the professor made suggestions and I played the piece multiple times in front of everyone, I relaxed and they went away and I actually started to have fun and open up.

It can happen when the concert piece has an extremely fast tempo and I am happily excited and adrenaline starts flooding the system. I am not sure I would categorize this as the same situation as just describe.

I have always been extremely "high strung" and have white knuckled it because I refuse to be ruled by it.

Yes, I have tried mental imagery, positive self-talk, yoga breathing and exposure therapy. In the latter case, I have forced myself to play my bugle for veteran ceremonies and funerals. Each time, fighting to keep the bugle on my face. Fortunately, relentless preparation kicks and I get through relatively fault-free.

I simply cannot control the flood of adrenaline.

This year, I have been given a very important exposed part and have begged to give it away, knowing how I react. The conductor and section really want me to try it. Of course, I am in the process of relentless preparation. But, the shakes came back, even during rehearsal.

Now the stakes are different. I do feel the pressure to do well for the ensemble; for the hard work that everyone else invests. So, I have finally consulted a physician and have been given a very low does anti-anxiety medication. I was told to try it at rehearsal to see how I would react.

Here is my impression. It did not take performance anxiety away but without the distraction of fighting my body, it allowed me to use positive self-talk and hear the voices of my teachers. The medication allowed me to focus on the music. And, when I made a mistake and had to play again in front of everyone, I was totally in the zone getting better, not worse because I knew that I was the focus of attention. For the first time, I experienced the joy of playing the trumpet in the moment --- versus --- the joy of it being over and having survived.

At this point, I have very mixed feelings because there is truth in all the posts and I do feel some "shame" for doing it. For example, when I attended my uncle's funeral, the U.S. Air Force sent someone to play taps, and later found out it he fingered the trumpet while a recording played. I got pissed. I was told that there is a lot of pressure, and they do not want to ruin it for the family. OK. Well, I was upset because I have been fighting the shakes through these ceremonies, forcing myself to confront the anxiety.

Maybe I am now cheating, too. But, for the last rehearsal, I really enjoyed playing in a way I had not before. I repeat, I did have nerves but I could use the traditional tools to cope, without fighting my body. I imagined that is the way normal players feel.

That is my 2 cents. I do not know if I will continue after this run. Maybe the benefit is to know I can do it, and try to get there without medication. I know my friends feel bad that I "have" to take a medication to do something that I am supposed to enjoy, even love to do. It seems paradoxical to them.

DK
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fight or Flight? The bronchial tree dilates. Breathing increases and as well as the heart rate. Run like hell or stay and fight the trumpet!

Fight or Flight triggers the Beta 2 receptors. High doses of beta blockers can impact the beta 2 receptors and restrict breathing.

I have no problem with high end performers using beta blockers. I have seen too many big time symphony players rely on alcohol and other forms of self-medication. Years ago this was more prevalent. One of my jobs was to stop them from getting fired and insist on progressive discipline.

But trumpet players should be careful using higher doses of beta-blockers. I was given them for high blood pressure as I got older. But I have asthma and fortunately my new internist realized prescribing a breathing depressant for an asthma patient was stupid!

Cheers,

Gordon Stump
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Gould on Showmanship and Nerves Reply with quote

I don't want to insult someone who has taught and mentored many, many world class players. I have been in recovery from alcohol for 33 years, and to my memory I never played on any occasion under the influence. In h.s. I had conversations with teachers about the drug and alcohol histories of many prominent musicians. I always had some anxiety before playing, but that is part of the energy and rush. I do agree with his statement about going out and knowing you have command. If you feel that positive about it, you are ready to play and there is no pill, booze, or drug that can supplant that feeling. This is MHO anyway. I appreciate teachers and performers like Mr. Gould who are matter of fact, too.
Dark Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Gould on Showmanship and Nerves Reply with quote

I love listening to Mark Gould. But, I also disagree. I think that the shame of taking medication (mine included) also clouds our judgement to facts. For example, it is well known that there are personality traits and characteristics. Some people are hard wired to have more anxiety than others and there are a combination cognitive behaviour techniques and medication depending on the severity. In the best of all worlds your activities align with your personality type. For example, those with a fear of flying do not become pilots. Those, who have a morbid levels of stage freight are not professional musicians "BUT" there have seen some. The love of music can be powerful enough to us draw towards that consequence.

All of my teachers have told me of their performance anxieties and how they evolved. In each case, by constantly playing in front of people since they were kids, they "attenuated" to the stimulus. Two of them played their formative professional years for the circus. And, if that does not toughen you up, nothing will. There is something varying important with that observation. I have been talking in front of hundreds of people, three to four time a week for almost 25 years. Some would find the situation mortifying. I was indeed highly anxious when I first started out. Now, it is like nothing to me, even ad-libing and "hamming it up". But, that took 25 years. Psychologists call the process developing "mastery of experience". I have had the time to do that, in that particular situatiuon.

Musically, I always have my pieces memorized and feel confident. I am told that my Remembrance Day work us better than most, to the degree my teacher would have play with him, while he takes on another instrument. Still, my hands shake to the degree I have trouble keeping the MP on my face. While playing I think only of singing through the horn. If I make a mistake, I have learned that it is OK and keep playing. And, I will still get business cards from the audience to come and play for them. So, they can not tell.

I am 100x better than I used to be and have come along. It is a visceral thing that I actually fight to control and it is exhausting. Two of the teachers said that they have had over 30 years to "get used to it". I have had only five so far. So, perhaps it is a developmental thing. And, in the immortal words of Clark Terry, I will just "keep on keeping on" until it finally is managable. For the short-term, for a specific situation I am experimenting with a low-does anxiety medication, supervised by a physician who is aware of my situation and has knows for almost 20 years

Well'll see.

DK.

blbaumgarn wrote:
I don't want to insult someone who has taught and mentored many, many world class players. I have been in recovery from alcohol for 33 years, and to my memory I never played on any occasion under the influence. In h.s. I had conversations with teachers about the drug and alcohol histories of many prominent musicians. I always had some anxiety before playing, but that is part of the energy and rush. I do agree with his statement about going out and knowing you have command. If you feel that positive about it, you are ready to play and there is no pill, booze, or drug that can supplant that feeling. This is MHO anyway. I appreciate teachers and performers like Mr. Gould who are matter of fact, too.

Bachatit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: b-blocker Reply with quote

I would disagree with Mark on several points:

1) A beta blocker does not diminish anxiety per se, it diminishes the physical response to anxiety (shakes, sweating, rapid heart beat)
2) A beta blocker is not a drug in the same sense as alcohol. It is not mind altering and doesn't change perception, nor is it addicting. It is not a benzodiazepine that reduces anxiety (and alters the mental state).

I have used a low dose beta blocker for years as it decreases microtremors in the fingers which is important in my profession as a microsurgeon.

The beta blocker has many positive medicinal effects and has been shown to prolong life for many cardiac patients. There are contraindications that must be ruled out by a physician, however a low dose beta blocker on an occasional basis is benign and can be a career saver for those who need them. Again, must be prescribed by a physician.

I would never disagree with Mark about music or trumpet playing (I would most certainly be wrong!), but I believe he's off here.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrowlerBox wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
I'll share my beta blocker story. West Side Story was about to open for its Fall and Winter of 2002/2003 run in Basel, Switzerland. It was a pretty intense show to put together in about just one week of rehearsal and prep time. My music director (who was responsible for getting me the job, as well as Evita earlier and Grease later), mistook my rather "energetic" (some would say "hyperactive") personality for nervousness and bugged me to try one of her beta blockers for one of the final dress rehearsal run throughs. To appease her and perhaps also to satisfy my own curiosity I relented and took one before the run through. It was a bad experience. I couldn't focus and made mistakes I know I never would have made had I not taken that pill - and as I made the mistakes, I didn't care that I made them. It was fortunate it wasn't an actual show but just one of the final run throughs.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Webcam Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested

That's a pretty extreme reaction, but a good lesson regarding the use of someone else's prescription. Do you recall the particular drug and the dose? Was your musical director's prescription for "nerves," or for some cardiac or neurological condition?

Yes, lesson learned. I don't know the dosage or the exact type of pill. I just know it was a beta blocker. And I don't know what her prescription was specifically supposed to treat. Sorry!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockford wrote:
In both my part time trumpet world and in my full time job (airline pilot) I find when butterflies occur it's usually due to a perceived lack of preparation or thinking about consequences rather than the task at hand. Keeping the focus on doing the job and making things work out well when the mind starts to wander helps me get back on track.

Well said - spoken like a true pilot. Don't get behind the plane!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding what Dark Knight wrote:

In general I think beta blockers are being over-used. But there are people who do need them and he is clearly one of those people. And there is no more shame to be felt in needing them and taking them as there is for a diabetic needing and taking his or her insulin dose.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing more common at a trumpet audition besides beta blockers is Petroushka.

DB
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Barenboim wrote:
The only thing more common at a trumpet audition besides beta blockers is Petroushka.

DB

Damn Mr. Barenboim,

THAT'S what went wrong at my 2004 CSO audition - I remembered to play Petroushka but forgot all about the beta blockers! All these years I've been wondering. I even offered to provide my own music stand. I thought I was a shoe-in...
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Daniel Barenboim wrote:

DB

Damn Mr. Barenboim,

THAT'S what went wrong at my 2004 CSO audition - I remembered to play Petroushka but forgot all about the beta blockers! All these years I've been wondering. I even offered to provide my own music stand. I thought I was a shoe-in...

Unfortunately no amount of beta blockers can fix your tone.

DB
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel Barenboim wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
Daniel Barenboim wrote:

DB

Damn Mr. Barenboim,

Unfortunately no amount of beta blockers can fix your tone.

DB

Unless they're being taken by the listener.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
I don't agree with Mr. Gould. I view having to take medication (or, drugs, as Mr. Gould mentioned) as being a choice that is better than having to submit yourself to a lot of stress, which I believe is even worse for your body and mind, than having to take beta blockers. If the beta blockers relieve you of undue stress, and enable you to perform on a higher level, without having to suffer through racing heart beat, sky high blood pressure, dry mouth, unfocused mind to name a few symptoms of the fight or flight syndrome, then, I would say use them under a Dr.'s supervision. If one suffers these problems, but can manage to overcome them, then by all means do without them. Beta blockers don't affect your mind, since they are not tranquilizers, or psychotropic drugs, so you can still be nervous, but your body won't react accordingly.

Thank you thank thank Mr irving! Both for writing your concise, informative post and for sparing me the time I would have wasted watching the worthless video.

I would bet good money that Mr Gould has never had major anxiety issues. Because most of us who have had a history of such unfortunate circumstances would never refuse to advise using the proper medicine to treat anxiety.

Willpower and die hard, rugged determination has no effect on a panic attack. Well actually it does. They make these panic episodes even worse. Willpower doesn't work on diarrhea either. I want to tell Mr Gould that the next time that he has a bad case of "the runs"?

That he should try willpower alone to cure it.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
Thank you thank thank Mr irving! Both for writing your concise, informative post and for sparing me the time I would have wasted watching the worthless video.

Don't let his idea about one facet of performance dissuade you from possibly learning something else that may be valid. Beta blockers seem helpful in appropriate instances and in this case, don't pay attention to what he says about them.

But he may offer other insights that could be valuable yet unnoticed if we just dismiss everything he says because of one viewpoint.

Learning is about taking in and using what works and discarding what doesn't. Dispite his disagreement on beta blocker use, he may yet have something else of value to teach.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: