• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Guys and Dolls 2018 - MTI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Guys and Dolls 2018 - MTI Reply with quote

hey gang

i just finished a two week run of Guys and Dolls this past weekend.
what a great show to play lead on

what a shamefully copied book to punish your musicians with.
this is another Finale copied book that is just dreadful to have to read
and you can bet that sight reading it is nearly impossible. it was revised in 2017

- this version tops out at Eb with plenty of Ds
- i had to cover the 2nd trumpet solo parts as i was the only trumpet
- lots of impractical mute changes and page turns
- Havana is a blast but it is so poorly notated that it's easy to step in

i still don't understand how an orchestra can play so out of tune and not nail their parts yet still find the time to text and play facebook grabass all during the show.......

i went of on them one day before the matinee.......but that's another thread........

i'm looking for the 1st & 2nd books to HAIR if anyone has a PDF of it for me

i'll be happy to answer any questions

ron
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing the same book for six weeks! The same deal, I'm the only trumpet player. Showbiz...

Pete
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rental books seem to be fairly consistently horrible. I guess they know they don't have to do anything but keep sending them out, decade after decade, filled with mistakes and hard to read pigeon-scratch.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree but since they had to input it into Finale at least they could have hired
a real person and not a monkey pushing buttons......

the barring is incredibly lame throughout with notation that i have never ever seen in a chart.....

LAMEIOUS MAXIMUS
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been booked to play this for a two week run. I’m hoping to be on second, as I’ve listened to Havana and don’t think I could play it very well. It’s at the top of my range. If any body has a copy of the parts it would be nice. We don’t get the music until 4 weeks before the first show and I’d like way more practice than that.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:
I’ve been booked to play this for a two week run. I’m hoping to be on second, as I’ve listened to Havana and don’t think I could play it very well. It’s at the top of my range. If any body has a copy of the parts it would be nice. We don’t get the music until 4 weeks before the first show and I’d like way more practice than that.

4 weeks? Luxury! I'm used to getting it the same week, one orchestra run-through, one dress rehearsal with the cast, then it's showtime! I take extra pride if the book is unreadable and the mute changes impossible. To actually enjoy doing shows you have to be a little masochistic, and I kinda' like going to the dentist.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played it this past weekend.

I've now played 4 versions:
- the original hand-copied rental (including a National Tour as the traveling Lead guy)
- the 2009 Broadway revival
- the 2008 Australian version
- and the August, 2017 version (the subject of this thread).

The 2017 version has individual books, which I think is a good thing. And many if not all of the terrible mistakes that are in the original hand-copied rental have been corrected. For me, the page turns were quite workable if you looked and planned ahead.

I really wish they had put the Havana duet into the 2nd book and not kept it in the 3rd book (like the original hand-copy).

This version also has a few members of the pit playing Latin percussion instruments during sections of Havana.

My biggest gripes about the 2017 version were the addition of DERBY mute (besides that it's not in the original, it's much easier to simply play into the stand) and the addition of "JAZZ MUTE" in "Runyonland."

The original says to go to Straight Mute for that section (although I've always played it open simply because it's a stupid-fast mute change). But for doing this in a high school setting (where it's a very popular show to stage), the ambiguity of "JAZZ MUTE" to a high school student, who's most likely struggling just to play the notes let alone any nuances, throws way too heavy of a curve ball into their minds.

These idiot young orchestrators who think they know what the hell they're doing just kills me. They program it into their little spiffy keyboards and have NO CLUE as to how difficult the logistics of actually doing stuff in the pit might be.

And don't get me started on how they mark articulations. Basically WRONG.

Ya know - articulations sounded GREAT with the original (meaning it wasn't broke) so don't try to fix it.

One last note - although it's not marked, all the Harmon mute sections should be with stem IN. It's stylistically correct and sounds muchos better than Harmon no stem.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi tim

i forgot to mention the ^^^^^^^ crazy copyist. what an idiot!
i basically went through and scribbled out 90% of the articulations
in this particular book. i didn't even bother to erase anything when i
gave the book back. i even wrote a nasty letter to be included with my book
mentioning all of these things in this post but they sent the books back
before i could slip it into mine. i guess i'll just have to snail mail it

what a disaster this prep work is. you are absolutely right it's like a monkey was just pushing buttons then printing out the parts

stem the whole time for me too. what is a jazz mute anyway??
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
My biggest gripes about the 2017 version were the addition of DERBY mute (besides that it's not in the original, it's much easier to simply play into the stand) and the addition of "JAZZ MUTE" in "Runyonland."

One last note - although it's not marked, all the Harmon mute sections should be with stem IN. It's stylistically correct and sounds muchos better than Harmon no stem.

YES!! When I played this with a local group back in 05 or 06, we used Harmons with stem in throughout. It sounded sooo much better, especially on the Havanna.

I don't recall a number called "Runyonland." What was the scene?

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tpt_Guy"]
trpthrld wrote:
I don't recall a number called "Runyonland." What was the scene?

In the original B'way production, the music that immediately followed the Overture was titled "Runyonland," after Damon Runyon, on who's works this show is based.

The rental version calls it "#1 / Opening - Street Scene."

I'm guessing the 2017 revision guys decided to go back to the original title. It's the same music with the solos in 2nd Trumpet.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

currently playing "The Mystery of Edwin Drood". One of the worst books (plural) I've seen.

2 books, the second, tunes that were added to the show after the 1st book was cobbled together. Couldn't be added to the original- had to make a second book for 4 tunes???

Both books copied AFTER an obviously amature production and before the handwritten edits were erased-lots of sharp reminders, cuts, and even some fingerings written in.
On top of the handwritten parts done by numerous hands. (some neat, some sloppy).. it's definitely challenging to read.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know many who've played Drood. It's a show I really enjoyed playing. It didn't hurt that we had an actor in the lead roll that seems born to it.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
MBMinSC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am playing this in May (trombone book). I did it 40 years ago. Looking forward to this show as I love the music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: