• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Carol Mini Pocket

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Carol Mini Pocket Reply with quote

So, the fact that I'm buying used Carol trumpets every few weeks probably hints at where in Asia I am I think people either want to try trumpet, or buy and regret, and then eventually give up and resell. The instruments do seem more vulnerable here, because humidity is very high all year long. The silver instruments I'd gotten both came with tarnish.

Anyway, I've just bought my 3rd Carol in nearly new condition. This time I got the Carol Mini Pocket Trumpet (1000 model). It got decent reviews here. I'm hoping that my kids can use it to play. It came with the original plastic mouthpiece. The seller also threw in a mute and a Dennis Wick 4b mouthpiece (!) which was very generous. I have already claimed the mouthpiece for myself, and it feels pretty good.

I think the big question will be how the kids do getting a grip on the pocket trumpet. New it sells for $450 and I found it around $230 shipped. To me it seemed like a better choice than a plastic trumpet. I thought I could maybe even use it as a bugle on scout trips, etc. We also travel a lot. I have a Bach in the States, so my hope is when we visit I can play that as my serious instrument, but can use the pocket trumpet for in-between.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played around with the mini pocket some today. It's not super easy to grip. In one of the demos I watched, different mouthpieces seemed to have a big influence on sound. I don't think it's a trumpet that I will play publicly, but I like the idea of camping trips. I may also still end up getting the kids a cornet. I feel like my son always looks like he's about to drop my pro horn, which is big and heavy. This trumpet he likes but the grip seems a little strange. The mouthpiece that came with (a plastic 7c) already has cracks on the shank, so I think that may be why the seller threw in the Dennis Wick mouthpiece (which I like).

I'm trying to decide whether to switch mouthpieces now, to use at Easter in two weeks. I've been playing the Carol 3c, which sounds good but seems to be too open for me (I get out of breath on it, but not on the DW). I'd also tried a generic 1 1/2 that felt to slippery. This DW feels about right.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4th grader tried it today and can already play a mean "hot oatmeal" (=hot crossed bun). Tomorrow we try Mary had a Little Lamb.

For him it's a little weird to grip but he seems okay with it. It took the tiny, weird generic mute that doesn't work on my other trumpets but works on this one.

How does it compare to a plastic trumpet or the Bundy I grew up on? Not totally sure, but it seems like a plausible instrument for the first year or so. 1st grade siblings also expressing interest...
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Carol Brass "Mini" Pocket? Reply with quote

Is the "mini: pocket different from the regular pocket?

I would like to see pics if it is different.

I have a Carol Brass pocket C trumpet that plays incredibly well. Friends have the Bb version and love theirs.

I use mne as a practice horn when travelling but have performed with it on occasion.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida USA
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mini pocket gets advertized as the world's smallest trumpet. It's ~6.5 inches and is almost a little cube of piping. It does have a smaller bell. I think it's compactness probably makes it better for kids. Some of the other pockets are "pro" modeled, where as this mini one is more student trumpet-y. If you look online there are a couple of videos. The mini blackhawk appears to be the same thing, but just in black. I think they also offer some different finishes. This is the just the basic one. It is fun!
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the nikel version and is very fun horn, I use it in lessons and for the vacations.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like it--I maybe would have bought the nickel finish if I'd bought new. With the extra mouthpiece, I feel really lucky to have gotten this deal.

I posted here in part because I'm curious generally about pocket trumpets as starter trumpets. I don't have enough experience to see how it compares to a basic student trumpet, a cornet, or a plastic trumpet. I think it's definitely a fun option. I'll update as I can appraise how my son does on it.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.carolbrass.com/product_post.php?i=333
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one! Horn Trader has a video up, and I think there's a video of someone playing the Blackhawk version. I played on it for about 30 minutes tonight and enjoyed it.

I was reading another post here and I do feel like either the Carols play wet, or the environment here just means a lot of moisture, or maybe I produce more now as a return player. I also find that you have to just empty out slides to get it all out. To me it's hard to clear out just using the spit valves.

I'm hoping to take it to the park in the next few days to practice also.

Pros to the horn: fast valves, seems like good tone, takes mutes like shmmute, very compact. Undetermined: finish longevity, seems to play wet, awkward to grip for adult hands, not sure on intonation (because I'm not that advanced of a player). Some of this I'm probably not advanced enough to assess. The instrument seems to blow well to me, but the 7 year old sister really struggled with the shmmute in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: