• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Too much spit?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejweiss
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Too much spit? Reply with quote

I have to empty my spit a lot! I have seen Doc perform live several times and he hardly empties. When he does, not much! I am a fairly strong player, but is too much spit a sign of some other problem - like too wide of an aperture. Talk amongst yourselves.
joefab
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact same problem!

I have always wondered why. Hopefully, someone can shed some light about it....
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Doc blows the spit all the way through the horn!
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Juergen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally when it's really cold you get more spit so maybe you need to play in a warmer room?
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Cass valve oil???

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
ejweiss
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Blue Juice
ChuckNorrisOfTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juergen wrote:
Generally when it's really cold you get more spit so maybe you need to play in a warmer room?

because its not spit... its condensation. different temperature rooms will lead to more or less water to be emptied. you could just have alot of hot air inside you too
Cromer Custom D/Eb
Schilke P5-4 Piccolo
Getzen Bb Cornet
ACB Flugelhorn

"There is no way to realize your potential unless you throw yourself into it" ~Armando Ghitalla
skootchy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
I think Doc blows the spit all the way through the horn!

I always wondered how Fadis emptied his horn?
Wes Clarke
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Jon Faddis a couple of weeks before Christmas. (Row A, by the way.) He pulls the tuning slide off the horn and dumps it. Great show.

Snapper
Troy Bilt
Poulan
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a combination of spit and condensation. I know, bc when I buz my mpc, on the way to church on Sundays, I get SPIT out of it. When I buzz my lips only, I get spit out of them. I NEED some spit to have the lips vibrate well--I don't think dry lips will vibrate at all--the air just glides over the surface. It's normal. Different folks let out different amounts of spit. Don't let it bug you. Concentrate on the things that really matter---tone, range, tone, articulation, tone, intonation and tone.

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
The Kraken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this Happens to me also, " ALOT OF SPIT " however only some times. What I do see all the time is either spit and or condensation don't know which dripping out of the Bell of the Horn. So am I blowing to hard? I play a softly as I can.

SPIT !!! What a Topic !!
ejweiss
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is serious guys. i was hoping for a solution so i can sleep tonight.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejweiss wrote:

It's been cold this winter in many places. The colder the ambient temperature, the more your body heat will cause condensation in the horn.

The more airflow you use while playing, the more "wet" air goes in and warms the inside of the tubing. Just the opposite of a cold pitcher of lemonade on a hot summer's day, the condensation will be on the inside of the horn, instead of the outside like the pitcher. This is how the water gets to the bell. It's breath moisture, not spit.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Too Much Water/Spit - Me Too Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
ejweiss wrote:

It's been cold this winter in many places. The colder the ambient temperature, the more your body heat will cause condensation in the horn.

The more airflow you use while playing, the more "wet" air goes in and warms the inside of the tubing. Just the opposite of a cold pitcher of lemonade on a hot summer's day, the condensation will be on the inside of the horn, instead of the outside like the pitcher. This is how the water gets to the bell. It's breath moisture, not spit.

Brian

It seems that some days I don't have a problem with too much water in the horn but more often than not -- I do have way too much water in the horn. Since I'm a new player, I don't know how normal this is.

Just a few minutes ago, I got so bent out of shape with all the water in the horn which prevented me from getting a nice full tone, I just said screw it and put the horrn away. (BTW, it was very warm in my practice room today -- probably around 80 degrees.)

So, I'm glad I'm not the only one this is happening to but I sure would like to get it sorted out. It is taking the pleasure away from playing / practicing becausing I can't get a good tone with all the water. I think we all know what causes condensation, but why do some players have so much more than others -- and what can be done about it?

Thanks.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
kirkpatrickerson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be too worried about it. I tend to notice that I have to empty my spit out a bit more often than other members in my section, but it also could be that we just don't notice other people emptying theirs (I mean, why would you?).

I think it's just one of those things. Some people's mouthpieces discolor faster than others, some people have more spit, etc. We're all normal.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How you hold your horn may be a factor. If the water collects in a bend - say the tuning slide curve where the water key is - it will stand a better chance of interfering with the air/sound/standing wave. If the node of the standing wave for the pitch you are playing coincides with the location of the water, you will get more gurgling.

So something you can try is to raise or lower the bell so water is spread out over a longer length of tubing. Also when you let the water out, does it come out easily? Sometimes there is a burr on the inside of the tubing where the water key nipple is and it won't let all the water out. You can put an eyedropper or two of water (or just fill your mouth with water) in the receiver, and then open the key and let it drain. Then turn the horn around and see if any comes back out the receiver. If you get a good spill when you dump it, then maybe there is a burr which needs to be removed.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy ...... Carbonaro is a magician who goes around pulling pranks on people....here's one of them.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYXH-XZwhDo
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't have to be from cold. I live in an environment that's hot and humid and it's definitely worse than before (think humidity hovers in the 90s year round). For some people mouthpiece/instrument also seems to make a difference.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always generated more water in my horns than most. In any ensemble, my chair is the one with the big puddle in front of it. It's worse when playing a cold horn or in a cold place, so some of it (but not all) is condensation. Been that way for me for over 50 years, so I don't think it's going to change. You just have to be aware of it and empty more often.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a novice and it's not just accumulation that troubles me. I can sense that I am emitting a spray when I play and it affects the sound, right at the mpc, before it even accumulates. It adds a raspiness, bordering on gurgling, to the sound and that bugs me to no end. I do, from time to time find a better emboucher to give it a cleaner, purer, drier sound. I guess it's just a matter of practice to find that spot more often but it would be nice to identify what it is I'm doing differently between the good technique and bad as I haven't discovered what it is yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: