• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How many trumpet parts in a score?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldHorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
nieuwguyski wrote:
I played tuba in college and remember older (and since I'm now pretty old we're talking OLDER) arrangements with separate Eb and Bb tuba parts. Could the OP's "solo tuba" part, distinct from the "tuba" part reflect distinct Eb and Bb parts (which would both be written in un-transposed bass clef)?

Brass Band (British style, not New Orleans) music still does this, only they call them Eb and Bb 'bass' instead of tuba. Typically the Bb parts are down the octave (and sometimes pedaled even lower when they have someone that can do it well).

FWIW,

The optional tuba transpositions are:
Eb treble clef Tuba - up a major 6th + octave from concert pitch, treble clef
Eb bass clef Tuba - up a major 6th, bass clef
Bb treble clef Tuba - Up a major 9th + octave, treble clef
Bb Bass clef Tuba - Up a major 9th, bass clef
Larris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"""[color=red][si[b]ze=9][color=red][quote="cheiden"]In most concert ensembles it makes sense to write only 3 or 4 trumpet parts. You could add one or more cornet parts if you want their characteristic sound but most of the amateur ensemble I've encountered wouldn't have cornets and would play the parts on trumpet anyway.

Hard to imagine needing eight unique trumpet/cornet voices except for pretty specialized works, particularly with the relatively thin instrumentation you mentioned.[/quote][/color][/size][/b]
[/color]"""

Thanks for this reply. I want very much to know why the instrumentation is concidered as "thin".

I have so much to learn from you.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larris wrote:
cheiden wrote:
In most concert ensembles it makes sense to write only 3 or 4 trumpet parts. You could add one or more cornet parts if you want their characteristic sound but most of the amateur ensemble I've encountered wouldn't have cornets and would play the parts on trumpet anyway.

Hard to imagine needing eight unique trumpet/cornet voices except for pretty specialized works, particularly with the relatively thin instrumentation you mentioned.

Thanks for this reply. I want very much to know why the instrumentation is concidered as "thin".

I have so much to learn from you.

After reviewing the earlier posts I see that I misread. I had thought you had indicated more brass and fewer woodwind parts than you actually did. I don't think your listed instrumentation is lacking.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Larris

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
MitchSW1235

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Not Too Much Reply with quote

I've played in wind ensembles/concert bands my whole life and many of them were probably intermediate level, but even there it wasn't uncommon to play band piece with 2 cornet parts and 3 trumpet parts. 1 and 4 is different, but I would take no issues with it. I'm also a composer by the way, so I may be biased.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: