• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

PUJE trumpet opinions needed please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: PUJE trumpet opinions needed please Reply with quote

On the edge of buying one of these but have to purchase sight-unseen and obviously without playing one.

Anyone played/own one?

If you have and sold it, what didn't work for you?

If you still have it,what makes it a good horn?

Thanks for your help.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the opportunity to play one back in college. I could only spend about 30 minutes on it. Not a long time, but I got a great first impression. It had a good scale, consistent timbre and nice response. It felt (to me) slightly more resistant than a trumpet which made it pretty flexible for me.

The tone was kind of a hybrid sound, like a trumpet with British Brass Band cornet richness and a diffusive quality not unlike a flugelhorn, but to a lesser degree. It was also very responsive to mouthpiece choice, so it was pretty versatile, too. It would be a great solo instrument.

The guy was trying to sell it, but because I was saving up for a C trumpet, I stupidly passed on it.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
McH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a DeNicola "Pudgy" nearly 4 years ago and absolutely love it!

At first I used a Maynard Ferguson/Jack Bell TM mouthpiece but found it difficult to bring out the cornet side of the horn. Then I switched to a Curry TC mouthpiece which suits me just fine -- I can get the warm cornet sound but, if pushed, the little horn can still sound like a nice bright trumpet.

My daughter likes to play it using a deep Bach mouthpiece and this certainly gives a darker, much more flugel sound.

I'm sure the Puje is a bit of an acquired taste, but with a couple of different mouthpieces you can sure have a lot of fun.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still own a Puje that I bought from Bobby DeNicola around 2004, a couple of years before he passed on. It's pretty well-made, and I think it plays nicely with a rather unique tone. The 'pitchfinder' slide integral with the bell works well and is very comfortable. The valves were the only negative; the action was mediocre at best. Charlie Melk gave them a light lapping and that made a remarkable difference.

I enjoy playing the horn with a Curry TF. It doesn't sound much like a flugelhorn (could be me), but it does yield a really 'nutty', pleasant result.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Puje short trumpet Reply with quote

I know this is a old thread. But I am curious about the Puje shorty trumpet. Those of you who have played it, what are your thoughts.
Vincent Bach 5 B short shank mouthpiece
SterlingBell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Puje Reply with quote

I own a Puje 3, Carol brass valve block with four interchangeable leadpipes. It is a really nice versatile instrument. I use it in a brass quintet as well as solos with trumpet and organ. Friends of mine have tried it playing solos in a big band and enjoyed that experience. Mine is well made, nice fit and finish in raw brass. Overall, it tends toward cornet tone, but with the different leadpipes I can nudge it toward trumpet or flugelhorn.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Puje Reply with quote

Sterlingbell
What does the copper bell sound like?

Last edited by jondrowjf@gmail.com on Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Puje Reply with quote

Sterlingbell
Thanks for sharing. I am a big fan of the cornet sound.May buy one next year.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the Pudgy C trumpet? Who has played one of those?
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a custom Puje that Brent did for me a year ago and it's a great horn. I got it with an antique finish engraved and sodalite blue valve buttons. Getzen valves are sick. This little horn is fun to play , especially with a Curry deeper Mpc. I love mine.
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see this thread resurrected!

I think the comments above about the valve issues are specific to the Blessing-made valves and other components DeNicola used for the original Pujes he designed and built. The current models are really from a brand-new company, with a quality control brought on by Brent Peters, a passionate and skilled craftsman/player.

The history/backstory can be found on his site: http://www.pujetrumpet.com/about-puje/

The horns are now made on Getzen valves, which is about all I'd have to say if anyone has concerns about the build. His work is both excellent and interesting - highly recommended!

-DB
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been intrigued by the 'Puje' after reading about it on this site some years back. Seeing one here in the UK is not likely to happen but I'm still interested in the idea......

However, how does the Puje compare to a cornet?....how long is the leadpipe taper?.....what bore sizes exist?....is there a 'gap'.......And who would use one anyway?
Danbassin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Stevenson wrote:
I have been intrigued by the 'Puje' after reading about it on this site some years back. Seeing one here in the UK is not likely to happen but I'm still interested in the idea......

However, how does the Puje compare to a cornet?....how long is the leadpipe taper?.....what bore sizes exist?....is there a 'gap'.......And who would use one anyway?

Brent is incredibly helpful and insightful - I recommend reaching out to him directly through the site or Facebook. He and I have been discussing a cornet project, actually, and I know that he has done all sorts of recent custom work, as you can see on the Models section (and the 'Click for Other Models' tab at the bottom of that page). I know there are several different lead pipe tapers, bells, and other options. Regarding bore size, I would imagine he can build around what Getzen valve sections he can procure, though that measurement is of consequence only with all things being equal...and these are by no means 'standard' horns!

Best,
-Dan
Monette - CORNETTE/PranaXLT-STC Bb/MC-35/Raja A Piccolo;
Kromat C-Piccolo; Thein G-Piccolo; Various antique horns
MPCs - Monette Unity 1-7D and DM4LD
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the sense that there is so much customisation available on these horns that no two may be alike. That's not necessarily a bad thing at all, but it's an absolute crusher to the question "what is one like?"

Not sure why Peters would want to carry on the branding instead of just setting out his own stall, esp. when some other resurrected brands don't have the best reputation. Who wants to get unfairly tarred with that brush?

Aside: Getzen valves are very good, and a definite plus on any horn.
SterlingBell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Puje Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
Sterlingbell
What does the copper bell sound like?

Sorry, my Puje does not have a copper bell. I wish it did. It does have a big 5 1/8 inch bell though. My Conn 10 B victor and My Conn Cornet have copper bells though and are fun to play.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:51 am    Post subject: Copper bell Reply with quote

Sterlingbell
One of my favorite vintage cornets was the Conn 17 A coperian cornet.
In the future, want a copper professional Shephard's crook trumpet.
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawnino wrote:
I get the sense that there is so much customisation available on these horns that no two may be alike. That's not necessarily a bad thing at all, but it's an absolute crusher to the question "what is one like?"

Not sure why Peters would want to carry on the branding instead of just setting out his own stall, esp. when some other resurrected brands don't have the best reputation. Who wants to get unfairly tarred with that brush?

Aside: Getzen valves are very good, and a definite plus on any horn.

I don't have the exact facts so I won't name names, but I heard there was some question and contention about who owns the rights to the Puje name. Bobby DeNicola's business was local to my area. I met him at Mercer Music back in the day, he was the go-to repairman, and his successor is now.
BV

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread with many topics to be covered. I don’t spend a lot of time on the internet, so I don’t see these things very often. I would encourage anyone who has questions to contact me directly. I prefer a phone call and my number is on my website. I will try to address a few things here briefly.

1. Buying a horn sight unseen is hard. I offer a 7 day trial period.
2. My valves are made by Getzen or Hoxon Gakki to my specifications.
3. The Original DeNicola Pujes and my version of the original are more cylindrical instruments like trumpets.
4. The PUJÉ and the SHORTY are stock models these days. The client can choose things like rings and inlays, but the bells and leadpipes are all the same. They play the same between horns of the same model. The same can be said of the older Classic models and to a degree the Pujé 3. Although there were a number of leadpipe options there including interchangeable pipes.
5. Why purchase the Pujé name instead of making “The Peters”? How many of you have heard of Brent Peters before I started making Pujes? How many of you have heard of Pujes before I started making them? Plus the name is fun.
6. Custom horns are just that. Fully custom to meet the specific needs of the player.
7. I own the US trademark and purchased it from the legal owner before me. I am in contact with someone who knows Bobby’s daughters and have reached out through him for any information they might be willing to share about their father and his horns. I have always represented that I was not the creator of the Pujé and have done my best to honor Bobby and his legacy. If anyone has facts pertaining to any contentions surrounding the legal use of the Pujé name please do not hesitate to reach out to me. My contact info is readily available on my website.

Finally, my shop has been closed since May of last year. I moved to eastern Washington and built a new shop in an old barn this past summer and fall. I am open now, and I am currently working on the first Palouse built horns..

I thank you all for your interest the Pujé. One of my favorite parts about building trumpets is meeting new people and connecting over a shared love of all things trumpet. It’s great to see a discussion here.

Brent Peters
Pujé Trumpets
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent; Still loving the Puje I've had for about a month.

Only one problem... I don't enjoy my other trumpets as much now. Your Puje is most definitely a spoiler.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: