• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Airstream question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proteus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Airstream question Reply with quote

I used to believe that the direction of the airstream relative to the throat of the mouthpiece cup really didn't matter all that much, since the air had to exit through that little hole anyway no matter from which direction it entered.

Then I changed my embouchure to lower the angle slightly, thereby changing the angle that the airstream entered the mouthpiece...and wow - what a difference.

So is this just me, or this something that is generally accepted as being Really Important as a basic element of one's embouchure?

Thanks.
Bach Strad 37 Bb (70s)
ACB Doubler flugel
Getzen Capri cornet
epoustoufle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to ask... how do you change just one thing, the direction of the airstream? Seems to me changing the direction of the airstream means you're also changing the overlap of top/bottom lip, the size and shape of the aperture and probably jaw position too.

There's some interesting videos on youtube (Mystery to Mastery) that kind of discuss embouchure, air, etc. in a non-dogmatic way. Obviously I don't play like Greg Spence but I do like how he teaches his experiences to others. He didn't start with a "natural gift", he learnt how to do it like most of us regular chumps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSx769PanaQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA2QAw-GCP4
NevadaBigHorn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not smart enough to offer advise on air stream direction (or am I too smart ) but I can tell you that there is a marked improvement in range and ease of play when I aim the horn a few degrees above the horizon then straight or below the horizon. That's my experience.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest posting this revelation in the Donald S. Reinhardt forum. Lots of good data there about why airstream direction makes a difference.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the direction of your air can definitely make a difference. Finding a set that allows for the most natural delivery of the air through the mouthpiece can help tremendously.

The key is finding a set that feels natural and doesn't require strange manipulation. If you're liking the sound with your newly found set, go with it!!

Dave

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
I suggest posting this revelation in the Donald S. Reinhardt forum. Lots of good data there about why airstream direction makes a difference.

Agreed!

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Airstream question Reply with quote

Proteus wrote:
I used to believe that the direction of the airstream relative to the throat of the mouthpiece cup really didn't matter all that much, since the air had to exit through that little hole anyway no matter from which direction it entered.

Then I changed my embouchure to lower the angle slightly, thereby changing the angle that the airstream entered the mouthpiece...and wow - what a difference.

So is this just me, or this something that is generally accepted as being Really Important as a basic element of one's embouchure?

Thanks.

It wasnt the direction the airstream turned. Was the position where the air left your lips. Essentially what you described was a switch to a more receded jaw aperture. This is probably the most common chop setting for brass players in general. Including perhaps close to 50% of all trumpet playerz and maybe 80 to 90% of all trombone and low brass players.

Apparently I too switched to a lower angle many years ago. It was the easiest way for me to develop good register. And within days or weeks I shot up to a really nice G above high C. With occassionsal usage of the A, B and rarely double C. Though these highest notes were very hard blowing.

Doc Reinhard called these kinds of brass players "Downstream" but I believe this to be an inaccurate term. He should have called them,

"Receded Jaw" trumpet players. But still his work was very helpful. I think that he'd have been an even better teacher if trumpet was his main instrument as opposed to the trombone. Reason being is that only a trumpet player really cares if he has a double C or not. In his book Reinhardt pointed out that

"there is something wrong with any trumpet player who does not have a musical concert F above high C". Or words to that effect.

To which I agree. However he does not explain that many or most of the receded jaw trumpets may never break that high G barrier. And granted this probably isnt such a big problem in as much as if a trumpet player with good over all technique can play a solid high G (F concert)? He usually doesnt need anything above it. Im kinda in that category myself.

So I digress... Anyway for the O/P,

I wouldnt trip on playing receded jaw. Most of us do. Why fight mother nature? The funny thing here is that I have an active thread in HR Development which is documenting my recent experimentation changing to a forward jaw embouchure setting. What makes this unusual is that even as I work this new chop setting I'm still advising others to exercise extreme caution regarding switching from Down to Up.

I think that I can do this because of my over 50 years playing the instrument. Thus my chops are very battle hardened. At least when compared to most of the young students here on the forum. I also am a pretty fair doubler on trombone with the ability to switch back & forth on stage. So its not like a little experimentation will screw me up.

However many of the kids on this forum ought be advised to stick with what works best for them. And unless you can make the switch easily and fast? Well apparently the O/P can do this so all I can say to him is Amen.

However the switch to receded jaw is almost always easier than going ftom receded to forward jaw.

Good luck!

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel - the reason he distinguishes by airstream direction is because you DO get receded jaw players who are upstream (type 4a), I know several of them in meatspace... And there are huge differences between the potential pitfalls for those players and other receded jaw types (most 3b's, if we're playing with stereotypes).

The other potential observation here is that we simply don't know what exactly the OP has changed... It's painfully easy to think we're changing (or simply doing) one thing when we're actually doing something quite different.

How do we know, for instance, that the OP has truly changed what's going on inside the mouthpiece here?

A lower horn angle (for example) might be expected by some to change the airstream angle a bit, but it could just as easily be a change in pressure distribution (how much of the force, whatever it's magnitude, of the mouthpiece is on the top vs bottom lip), or it could be a change in posture (neck straighter resulting in a natural downward angle for many players if they've been trying to keep the angle "straight out" by leaning the head back and creating tension in the throat as a result)...

There's really a whole bunch of stuff that could be happening here to give the impression described, and it'd all result in a different feel and potentially noticeable progress if gotten right (or closer to).

And so we're back to that most basic of advice....
Get a good teacher, the best you possibly can.
Proteus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP replies:

Thanks everyone for the feedback and observations. To clarify: all I did by way of change was to lower the horn a few degrees. Most definitely I felt an immediate reduction of pressure off the top lip, and ease of tone production, centering of the sound and endurance improved almost right away. This was a surprise, because I am definitely *not* a pressure player - but the difference was a revelation.

The other thing I noticed was that my airstream is now pointed more directly right into the throat, and this was the reason for my original question...wondering if the improvement was more than just the pressure reduction, but also airstream-related.

The other changes resulting from the lowered angle include the appearance of a more "natural" embouchure ie. rather than me trying to consciously form one, it now forms itself...naturally. This reminds me of one of my teacher's comments that it's often not what we're not doing that impedes our progress, but what we're doing too much of (ie. tension, unnatural alignments, contortions to fit pre-conceived ideas of how chops should be or what they should look like). I'm not aware of making any other changes involving head angles, neck tension, whatever.

I think this argues for at least an intermediate player to at some point make a deliberate effort to explore what I'll call the 'inner and outer parameters' of lip & mouthpiece placement, angle, everything, in order to find for oneself the sweet spot that produces the most resonant, centered sound with the highest efficiency and comfort/ease of playing.

I find it interesting that I stumbled upon this myself, though, and never heard anyone talk about it in university. In fact, when I got an impromptu lesson several years ago from my now-long-retired trumpet teacher who played principal in several excellent orchestras in his day, he was adamant that the lower jaw must be projected forward until a pencil held between the upper and lower jaw was horizontal - and that would be the perfect playing set-up (no, I don't have a pronounced underbite, either) and I've been trying to make that work for several years with only fair results.

A top commercial player in Montreal has said the same thing...but with the objective of taking the pressure off the top lip. But then there's Paul Merkelo, principal in the Montreal Symphony, who is definitely very much a downstream player. Hence the need for informed exploration of what works best for each of us...

Cheers!
Bach Strad 37 Bb (70s)
ACB Doubler flugel
Getzen Capri cornet
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the Reinhardt board was mentioned, you'll find something very similar being described over there as "finding the legs" - I found that rather eye opening, as you have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: