• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

cataract surgery and trumpet playing

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renaissance Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: cataract surgery and trumpet playing Reply with quote

How should one treat resumption of trumpet playing following cataract surgery?
jonalan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask your doctor.
skootchy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play by ear??
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have my cataract surgery booked for September 9th and the second eye on the 30th. For the facetious, have you ever tried to get a question answered by an ophthalmologist? If anyone has prior experience I'm interested too.

Thanks,

Brian
Norm
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My doctor recommended to take it easy for two weeks. You might ask your doc how long to restrict heavy lifting. That's probably about equivalent to horn playing. Your doc, unless a brass-man, isn't going to know much about the physical stress of trumpet playing. And, it will really depend on your particular situation after the surgery. I wouldn't do ANY playing until you've had your first exam with the doc following the surgery. At which time he'll know better about how you might proceed. My eyes were done last year. The after-surgery effects weren't fun, but it was worth it.

Norm
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Norm. A much appreciated answer.

Cheers,

Brian
cwerickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uberopa wrote:
For the facetious, have you ever tried to get a question answered by an ophthalmologist?

If your doctor won't answer one simple question, then I would not recommend letting them get near your eye with a laser, or any other sharp object. And that's not meant facetiously -- seriously, if you have questions of *any* kind, your doctor should be open to discussing them. This is an opportunity for both of you to learn something, and your doc should be grateful for that.

Best of luck -- I know several folks who have had this done, and their vision improved incredibly.

Tina
Happy Canuck
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my left eye done a year ago. What a simple process! I was in the surgical suite for maybe 25 minutes and the actual surgery was maybe 12 minutes?! When I left, my eye sight, with the new lens, was almost 20/20, certainly better than it had been for many a year. And the worst part of the recovery was having to be VERY careful in the shower to not get water on the eye. Now I just have to wait until my right eye is 'ripe' enough to get a date.

I was the 2nd of the trumpets in my band to have cataract surgery, I was told 2 weeks and the other fellow 3 weeks. We followed the instructions and had no problems or negative impacts. I did select the Tecnis lens and have been very pleased with it.

Olds trumpets/GR Butcher 65.6M
Olds cornets/Sparx 4B
Olds Flugelhorn/GR leadpipe/GR Butcher 65.6FL
Renaissance Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Cataract surgery and trumpet playing Reply with quote

Thanks to each and all for the useful information!
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had cataract surgery on November 2nd.
My opthamologist also told me to take 2 to 3 weeks off the horn.
The surgery itself was amazingly simple and quick.
Everything seems to be healing up nicely and I have had no
problems of any kind.
Although I am going nuts having to lay off my horn
for 2 to 3 weeks, and it is costing me money...LOL
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both eyes done 10 years ago. Simple procedure and I had the same 2 weeks off ophthamologist advice. I had some strobing in my peripheral vision and had some laser treatment post op.
The off time was a killer though. For all your friends that tell you that you will have eagle vision and can throw away your eyeglasses post surgery I call b.s.if you have astigmatism like myself.
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Cataract Surgery Reply with quote

I had both eyes done about 3 years ago. I wouldn't play my horn for about a week and then just easy stuff for another week. Now I need to wear reading glasses for playing.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend being conservative and waiting at least a full three weeks before resuming playing. I just don't think it's worth the risk to start playing a week or so earlier than that and risk potentially catastrophic consequences. And I'd stay away from anything above the staff for another couple of weeks beyond that.

I base my opinion on my many years playing, my 80% of a Biomedical Engineering Degree, and my successful completion of the first half of the first semester of the City Colleges of Chicago Nursing Program I have completed (making me 1/8th of an RN).

Best wishes toward successful outcomes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
k0elw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Eye surgery Reply with quote

This is actually pretty specialized information that you are not going to get from a nurse, biomedical engineering student, or trumpet player. Ask your ophthalmologist, I’ve known a few who played trumpet enough to appreciate what is involved. There are a few research papers published on intra-ocular pressure related to musicians. I’m looking at my 2nd cataract surgery coming up and plan on a couple weeks off. It was 6 weeks off for each of my retinal reattachments, although I did cheat after a month playing ppp below 2nd line G. PETE was useful for maintain muscle tone. Everyone is different, this was my experience and mine alone. Verify any medical information and advice you find on the internet from a physician you trust.]
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going under the knife for cataract surgery next month. Based on this thread, I was able to ask my surgeon the right questions. She replied:
Quote:
Great question! Trumpet playing is definitely an issue in patients with glaucoma. With the micro- incision technique that I use for cataract surgery, the pressure is not of concern as far as the would leaking or anything like that. I usually tell trumpet players who do not have glaucoma to just take breaks and don’t hold really long notes, and don’t play for hours a day! Most people tolerate those brief pressure elevations very well. I tell patients that for the first 2 weeks after surgery you should avoid doing things that make you red in the face. Mainly, avoid rubbing the eye.

1963 Connstellation
Mike20275

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had cataract surgery two years ago and my Doctor said no trumpet for five days. I had no problems and no pain when I started playing again. The first time I sat on stage after the second eye was done I told my section, "hey those red lights in the back of the hall say Exit" I never could read them before.
Good luck!
Bachatit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: cataract surgery and trumpet playing Reply with quote

[quote="Renaissance Man"]How should one treat resumption of trumpet playing following cataract surgery?[/quote

Until the first post-operative exam; then, ask the surgeon. Personally, I have never restricted anyone from wind playing after cataract surgery but it is important to get advice from your surgeon (and not an anonymous one over the internet!). Best
maj45

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently recovering from retinal reattachment surgery. I am not a pro or any great shakes of a player, but I love playing and I'd already been off a month! So two weeks after surgery, I began playing again. As was already mentioned, I played softly and only in the staff for short periods of time. I started with moderately long tones, nothing testing my breath control limits. I then added Clarke study #2--all in the staff. Then I added playing some hymns, again, they're all in the staff, nothing that would make me red in the face.

It's been two weeks and I've had no adverse effects. I've even ventured to touch C above the staff some. I get 3 or 4 sessions in each day of 5 to 20 minutes each. I'm waiting for the gas bubble in my eye to dissipate, then it will probably be off to cataract surgery. The real battle is reading music with one eye! That's my experience so far. I'd still rely on your doctor, but I thought I'd chime in since I'm living it right now.
k0elw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had cataract surgery 2 days ago and have resumed normal practice. My opthomologist said this was of concern if I had glaucoma. Everyone is different, be sure to ask your own doctor.
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My second eye was done yesterday, ten days after the first one. I can see well enough to go glasses-free for most things including reading the Real Book. Smaller print takes readers. Doc said take a day of trumpet, so I did.

Life is good.

1963 Connstellation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: