• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Warburton 8 top

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VintageFTW
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Warburton 8 top Reply with quote

I've been doing some snooping around, looking for the right diameter for myself, and came across the specs for Warburton tops. Right now I play a 70's Schilke 13a4a, but it consistently feels a bit too big from me. From what I have gathered this 13a4a is around a .630 and I see that the 8 top is a .620 in diameter. I have played my friend's Warburton 8s-something-or-rather and it felt like it fit me almost perfectly, but it is far too zippy for normal playing. The rim really locked me in though, but in a good way. It just felt really secure and like it anchored very well. What are you're experiences with these tops? Do the bite and the like differ from cup to cup, or will it still provide that really locked in feeling for me? I think the major contributing factor to my experience, other than the diameter being right, was that it had a very flat rim with a rather steep drop into the cup which is what my chops seem to like. What suggestions as far as the cup goes would you have for me? I know Rich Ita (my repair tech) has a moderate selection of Warburton parts on hand, but he is an hour away. Do you think it would be worth it for me to go and try them out?
Early 1900's Marceau Cornet *B&F Stencil
1922 Holton-Clarke Cornet
1954 Elkhart built by Buescher 37b
...And many more
Schilkes22
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the D cup/9 BB for concert band/church work. I use an M cup/7 BB for section playing in a big band, and a KT BB for when I occasionally get asked to play lead. I also have an SV cup/ KT BB that I use for commercial work. That's just Me. Your likes may vary, but it may give you a starting point. I use a 4 diameter.
Warburton Mouthpieces
Berklee '95
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Warburton '8' top and '8' series is very popular with many players. It's a great top! If you find the 8s top too zippy, you may really dig the 8sv top. The Warburton 'SV' cup is quite a versatile cup. You could play lead gigs on it if you wanted. Great for small group jazz gigs on the little louder side of things..Great commercial cup..I've even used it on louder classical gigs.. You can do a lot with that cup. I'm recommending it for you since you are coming from an old 13a4a.. I mean you could go even deeper to 8M, 8MC, 8MD, 8D, or 8XD - but I find the SV cup has a great versatile sound, moreso than the M or MC cups for me. All the best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
OndraJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Warburton 8 feels a lot smaller than the 13a4a.
The step is huge. The Warburton 6 is already smaller than the 13a4a. See the Kanstul Comperator.

If you like the 8, take it. But test the piece in terms of articulation and accuracy.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Lex. The 8s I have doesn’t inspire me, sound wise, but the 8sv does! It is much more versatile in my experience. I play a 9M for most work and it’s very similar to the 8sv. The other tops I like are 7esv and 7xd.

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Zaus on his Warburton signature. He played a 7SV for years. He played in the old Disney Future Corp and recently replaced Chad Shoopman in the "Main Street Philharmonic."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMJdfGqIJOg
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom line is that you aren't going to know if the fit and feel is right until you try it - there are too many variables, such as where the high point is on the rim, how sharp or rounded the inner bite is, the overall width of the mouthpiece, etc.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
NevadaBigHorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing the 6S and SW(wide rim) for a few years now and really love it. I'm able to change the tone to be less edgy when required but I do play mostly big band lead. I have a 6SV as well but it doesn't quite do it for me like the 6S.
VintageFTW
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a chance to try that 8s again. I am definitely built for the 8 top. I even managed to make it sound straight up classical without much effort. Surprisingly I think I actually like the S cup, though the SV sounds perfect for my playing needs. I do 1 1/2 hours of concert band and 1 1/2 hours of jazz band with 1 1/2 hours between them. I then go home and usually play/practice/experiment for 1-2 hours. In concert band I typically play 2nd or 3rd if it needs reinforcement and in jazz band I am usually playing lead or 2nd for improv. Back to the top, it really supports my chops and allows my musculature to fully engage with minimal effort. I don't know about endurance, but it feels like I could play all day and not even break a sweat. I think my repair guy has a kit on hand so I can try to build a better fit for me.
...And many more

Last edited by VintageFTW on Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
VintageFTW
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So evidently I wasn't paying close enough attention. What I tried was even more extreme of a change than I made it out to be. I was reading that it has an 8* backbore. The top is a 10S! My ideal diameter is a lot smaller than I had thought. He let me play some lead on it today so I could get a feel for it and it was fantastic. Crisp articulation, lots of core to my sound, and just enough punch to cut through.
...And many more
ivkoni901

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played with a 8ESV. Big phat sound in the upper register!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: