• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

3C to a Monette - Worth the upgrade?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlbertHwang

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: 3C to a Monette - Worth the upgrade? Reply with quote

I'm currently using a Bach 3C mouthpiece, which I find to be the most comfortable size for me. I have been considering making a switch to a Monette mouthpiece after hearing a lot of good things about them. My questions are:
Is it worth the upgrade?
If so, what size should I get? and
Should I buy one new or second hand?

Thanks a lot.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only an upgrade if it suits you better.

Size... Depends on your 3c - if you're a big 3c guy then maybe B4s, small 3c then maybe B6...

Whatever happens it'll be a learning experience - either learn you like them or not, and you'll probably learn a thing or two in the process.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a second hand B6 or B6S1. See how you like the rim. I find the 4 series rims to be rather uncomfortable, compared to both 6 & 3 series.

If you DO like them, then gofer a nice shiny new one...

cheers

Andy
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to not give the cookie cutter, "you won't know until you try" answer but in this case, you won't know until you try. In my experience, I did not care for the Bach 3C, but that is just me. You are saying you like it, so that already makes things different from my experience.

I will tell you the Curry 3C is pretty awesome, and if you open the throat, you have something similar to a Prana. I play on a Prana B6DS1 which is my mouthpiece of choice when I'm not playing lead. HOWEVER, I purchased it used, and got lucky with the results. Would I buy a brand new B6DS1 if I lost this one? Yes, but only because I know what I'm getting. My Curry 3C has a 24 throat (similar) to a Prana throat, and that thing plays just as good....for me...and costs fewer greenbacks.

Is it worth the upgrade? You won't know until you try.
If so, what size should I get? A B6 is in the same ballpark.
Should I buy one new or second hand? I always go second hand if I can for a Monette if it's in great shape 1) because of the price and 2) a new one to order takes a while and I'm not patient.

Last edited by theslawdawg on Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:21 am; edited 3 times in total
Dan in Sydney
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy your 3C and save your money....)
Bach Artist and Clinician, Soloist
http://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/artist-information/centerstage/artist-roster/daniel-mendelow/
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monette (and things that cost more $$ than Bach) is a divisive issue. I am a firm believer in finding the best equipment you can afford to play. It makes everything more enjoyable and that in turn makes you more excited to play. That is a priceless feeling.

I have been playing Monette pieces for four months now and I have been loving every minute. I'm currently on a classic B2S3. I think every aspect of my playing has been improved since the switch from my Curry 1.25BC. It may be snake oil, it may be nothing more than a big backbore and throat, it may be the most revolutionary advancement trumpet has seen. It's all in how you look at it, what you value in your equipment, and how it feels when you play it.

I cannot recommend enough to go the used route and play on it for a while. I loved it at first and then things became AWFUL for a little bit while I learned how to play more efficiently and "lower on the pitch." Do it, try it for a month, and if you really like it then you got a decent deal on the mouthpiece. If you hate it, you usually won't get hosed on buying any thing used.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the sound and response that you get from Monettes, then sure, it would probably be a good upgrade. While I don't personally play Monette pieces right now, I have before and they are good quality and have good pitch.
jojocat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest as an alternative and cheaper option to go for a Donat mouthpiece. They are made in France and are very similar in design to the Monette without being copies. They are about half the price so you can get 2 different cups for the price of a Monette. They are high quality made.

I've been playing Donat mouthpieces for some months and I'm so pleased by them I sold all other mouthpieces I had. I have a medium Cish cup, a med-shallow and a lead jazz and it's a pure pleasure.

Contact Dimitri and tell him what you want; he's a very kind and generous person. He will find what you need for sure!

Hope it helps!

Martin Committee trumpet
Yamaha 6335H
Yamaha 6320
Accent 781
plunkett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a Bach 3C for a long time (both normal and MegaTone) and tried a Monette B4S just because someone (here, actually) was selling it for a good price. Bottom line - I have never found a mouthpiece that "fits" me better than the B4S! I used to have OMAD (obsessive mouthpiece acquisition disorder) until I ended up with the B4S, but was cured. I now use the B4S exclusively on both my Bb trumpet and my C trumpet (yeah, yeah, Dave Monette says I shouldn't use a 'piece "designed" for a Bb trumpet on a C, but I think that's a bunch of BS).

I would recommend looking for a used B4S or a "try before buy" new one to see if the fit is good for you. Good luck!

Pat
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plunkett wrote:
I used a Bach 3C for a long time (both normal and MegaTone) and tried a Monette B4S just because someone (here, actually) was selling it for a good price. Bottom line - I have never found a mouthpiece that "fits" me better than the B4S! I used to have OMAD (obsessive mouthpiece acquisition disorder) until I ended up with the B4S, but was cured. I now use the B4S exclusively on both my Bb trumpet and my C trumpet (yeah, yeah, Dave Monette says I shouldn't use a 'piece "designed" for a Bb trumpet on a C, but I think that's a bunch of BS).

I would recommend looking for a used B4S or a "try before buy" new one to see if the fit is good for you. Good luck!

Pat

OMAD. That's funny!
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jojocat wrote:
I would suggest as an alternative and cheaper option to go for a Donat mouthpiece. They are made in France and are very similar in design to the Monette without being copies. They are about half the price so you can get 2 different cups for the price of a Monette. They are high quality made.

I've been playing Donat mouthpieces for some months and I'm so pleased by them I sold all other mouthpieces I had. I have a medium Cish cup, a med-shallow and a lead jazz and it's a pure pleasure.

Contact Dimitri and tell him what you want; he's a very kind and generous person. He will find what you need for sure!

Hope it helps!

+1 on the Donat.

Uh oh...so many to choose from!
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll never know until you try.

Have you considered upgrading to a GR mouthpiece? They have lots of options in the 3C size.

How about Hammond Design mouthpieces?
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a change. It isn't an upgrade. Why do you want to change?
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend with a Monette trumpet and several Monette mouthpieces. He let me try them, all the way from screamers to mouthpieces similar to a 3C to even larger.

For me, none played better than my Bach 3C/76.

And of course, none of my 3C's and derivatives, 3C, 3C/76, Shew Jazz, Kelly 3C, Kelly Shew, 7D, etc., worked for him.

This is a question that cannot be answered without a particular player trying a particular mouthpiece on a particular horn playing a particular repertoire over a reasonable period of time to see how everything responds together.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albert, check your PM please.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are a lot of companies who have made good copies of the mt. vernon 3C and i would make a choice between one of those before paying a staggering price for a monette piece.
IMO you will be able to find something that plays better than what you have. i play a flip oakes 3 C-O in that genre and could easily find several other mouthpieces that would serve as well. it's bother and expense and we all go through it.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH posted:

Quote:
It's a change. It isn't an upgrade. Why do you want to change?

+1

This should be a stickie in the mouthpiece forum.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no magic mouthpieces. You need to carefully consider what you want to change in terms of how you sound/how it feels when playing and then evaluate mouthpiece changes that are designed to give you what you want without creating other unsatisfied needs. Guessing can be very expensive. Always see if you can try before you buy.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I changed from Bach to Monette it was a huge upgrade, not just a change. I reluctantly tried a friends and couldn't believe how well it worked. The next day I bought one.

I suggest you try one, even if it's not a good fit size wise before you buy. You'll know fairly fast if it works for you.

What I noticed the night I tried the Monette.
A lot of pitch problems went away. Because the pitch problems went away, it was easier to hit notes cleanly. The sound was more to my liking.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played on many "standard" mouthpieces and many Monette mouthpieces. It's an upgrade if it works better for you—it's a downgrade if it doesn't. It's best to try some Monette mouthpieces to see. They work great for some, not so great for others, and some like me play fine on them, but also fine on other stuff too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: