• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 229 GH C trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmcgee414

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Bach 229 GH C trumpet Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am looking into getting a C trumpet. I'm a music performance major and hoping to get something that will be great for orchestral playing. I have the opportunity to purchase a Bach 229 GH horn. I believe that the g stands for a gold bell and the h stands for heavyweight. Is that correct? What will those 2 things add to the horn and should it be fine for my needs?

It also has a 25 h leadpipe. I know there are often issues with the standard leadpipes and intonation, so how is the 25h?

Any feedback or advice is welcome. Thanks!
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The g means that there is a greater percentage of copper in the brass than their regular yellow brass horns. (In my opinion, this is neither an advantageous nor disadvantage.) Yes, the h means that it is made out of thicker brass than their regular horns. (I would avoid this because it makes the horn less responsive. The Bach C trumpets from the Fritz Reiner Chicago Symphony era were made from thinner brass than more recent horns; I certainly wouldn't want one thicker than what's typical today.)

The H leadpipe is a fairly typical leadpipe used in modern orchestras. (It often takes a strong player to handle it, however.)

Unless an experienced player tells you that this is a good horn and has heard you play it and tells you it's a good fit for you, I'd pass.

(By the way, this is a discussion better had with your trumpet instructor.)
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Bach 229 GH Reply with quote

Hello all,
Jerry had the right answers. You would be better off with a standard Bach 229 or even 239. I personally like the 25A pipe better. Have your teacher listen to you play different horns if you can.
Deacon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: fraudulent seller? Reply with quote

Maybe you can send me the case I bought from you two weeks ago. Or refund the money.
Calicchio 1S-7
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must echo that you should try the 25A leadpipe if you haven't already. Many people who have tried my trumpet love it and didn't even bother trying one like it when choosing their Bach C. Everyone has their preferences but I think it's a disservice to oneself to not at least try the two most popular leadpipes. The 25A will give you more secure slots and a more in tune horn over all.

As far as the bell goes, I would avoid going too "dark" for orchestral playing. (I would be interested in it for a chamber music horn, perhaps.) The trend for piston trumpets in orchestra is to sound relatively bright but robust with a lot of power. That being said, I would avoid the heavy weight but the "G" bell is definitely worth a try.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your sound is very bright I would avoid heavy bells and gold brass bells. You would be better off with a standard 229 or 239 bell.
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely stay away from the GH bells for orchestral playing. They do not make a lively enough sound for the job required. A standard to lightweight yellow brass bell is the best. For a student, a 229 bell is most widely used and will work in any ensemble you are likely to find yourself in. The suggestions to try an A length leadpipe are also very good. Good intonation (much better than the H) and are much friendlier/more controllable at soft to medium dynamics than the H -but you can play plenty loud on them, believe me. (Completely fine for all but the loudest literature in the largest professional orchestras). The open-blowing H pipes (really designed for crackly, loud playing) can make playing things like quintet or touchy church gigs much harder than they need to be.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Bach C trumpet 239-bell with A-pipe is reported to be a very nice combination. I don't remember reading anyone reporting a 229-bell with A-pipe works as well.

Anyone here ever use 229-bell with A-pipe?
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

229/25a is a great setup. I have seen and played many. My current #1 C is a 229/25a. They work great! Very versatile.

I would advise against a 239. (229 is really the most widely used bell at this point in orchestral situations.) The 239 typically does not really get bright enough to compete in many ensembles. The other players with 229s will our-project you.
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeLoeffler wrote:
229/25a is a great setup. I have seen and played many. My current #1 C is a 229/25a. They work great! Very versatile.

I would advise against a 239. (229 is really the most widely used bell at this point in orchestral situations.) The 239 typically does not really get bright enough to compete in many ensembles. The other players with 229s will our-project you.

Agree. I have a 229 with 25 A pipe from 1984, hand picked by my teacher, Ken Cox, RIP. fantastic setup, plenty dark in piano playing, but firing up when needed. Very good tuning with itself, no need for alternate fingerings unless to show that you are a pro and have heard that E on a Bach C should be fingered 12

Again, very dark sound with my Pickett 1.5 B Symphony 0/24 mouthpiece, but rich overtone colouring.

Cheers
Pierre
Bsully

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: fraudulent seller? Reply with quote

Deacon wrote:
Maybe you can send me the case I bought from you two weeks ago. Or refund the money.

Hmmm, hope it’s not the same case I just sent Drew money for. I’m suspicious due to the lack of tracking information and lack of responses to my emails. Maybe it’s time to call PayPal!
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: fraudulent seller? Reply with quote

Bsully wrote:
Deacon wrote:

Hmmm, hope it’s not the same case I just sent Drew money for. I’m suspicious due to the lack of tracking information and lack of responses to my emails. Maybe it’s time to call PayPal!

None of this sounds good. The OP may want to address this.
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeLoeffler wrote:

Interesting. I have not had this problem in the past on my 239. Didn't Glenn Fischtall, retired principal of the San Francisco Symphony use a 239 albeit with an Akwright conversion? I can hear plenty of him on all those Mahler recordings he did.

Someone should also tell the Boston Symphony section that their Yamaha NY artist models with a 239 type bell won't project well over the rest of their orchestra.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reality, if you can project your sound well, and play a C trumpet in tune, the C you describe is not going to be inaudible, nor will a section of intelligent trumpet players (at times this can sound like an oxymoron) bury you just because they may be able to. Plus, unless you are in all but the largest and strongest of orchestras, why do you actually need all the edge and cutting power? I've heard a 238GH bell (much broader and darker with far less edge) carry across a large major orchestra wth ease year in year out without an issue.

Just tell them all its a 229/25H copy of the Chicago ones and they will love what you do! (put tape over the tell tale stampings)

cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: