• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

DIY delacquer gone wrong?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAntonacci

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: DIY delacquer gone wrong? Reply with quote

Hi, I’m new here! Hopefully someone can help me out. My buddy just got a Xeno, silver plated. He didn’t like the shine so he took hit upon himself to take Steele wool to the horn and give it a “matte finish.” Hes content with this, however I’m worries he’s done more damage to the sound of the horn, because he does not care about tarnish. What’s the next move here/ some things that could go wrong?
Thanks so much!
Christian
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that ship has probably sailed! If he likes it the way it is, (1) there's probably no big impact on sound. However (2) it may make the instrument slightly more susceptible to wear and (3) it probably kills the resale.

Just out of curiosity, how new/old was the instrument? In theory he could get it replated down the road, but it's pretty expensive.

Someone else in the past asked about how to do this: https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1257245
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is, when you get to five posts, you can help him sell it.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember someone asking about this on reddit too, but I don't know if they did it: https://www.reddit.com/r/trumpet/comments/7pquru/brushing_silver_horn/

This thread will probably encourage high school students everywhere to scrape the silver off their trumpets....
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
The good news is, when you get to five posts, you can help him sell it.

I LOVE THIS ANSWER!!!!!

i've got $50 riding on this horn........
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: DIY delacquer gone wrong? Reply with quote

CAntonacci wrote:
Hi, I’m new here! Hopefully someone can help me out. My buddy just got a Xeno, silver plated. He didn’t like the shine so he took hit upon himself to take Steele wool to the horn and give it a “matte finish.” Hes content with this, however I’m worries he’s done more damage to the sound of the horn, because he does not care about tarnish. What’s the next move here/ some things that could go wrong?
Thanks so much!
Christian

The simple answer is that you could be risking your friendship with this person, if you are friends, by sticking your nose into something that isn't your business. So the next move, in my opinion, is to stop concerning yourself with your buddy's instrument.

As to affecting the sound of the horn, I seriously doubt it did anything to the playability. You should be able to tell by listening to your buddy. Nor does tarnish affect the instrument's sound.

By the way, silver is not lacquered.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: DIY delacquer gone wrong? Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
CAntonacci wrote:
Thanks so much!
Christian

The simple answer is that you could be risking your friendship with this person, if you are friends, by sticking your nose into something that isn't your business. So the next move, in my opinion, is to stop concerning yourself with your buddy's instrument.

As to affecting the sound of the horn, I seriously doubt it did anything to the playability. You should be able to tell by listening to your buddy. Nor does tarnish affect the instrument's sound.

By the way, silver is not lacquered.

This.
It’s your friend’s horn, I don’t know why you’re so concerned. At any rate, it was probably a stupid thing to do, but it’s done, and probably has not affected how it plays.
It’s his property, if he decides to paint it purple, refer back the first three words of this sentence. 😉

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: