• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Danny Boy on my '75 Olds Ambassador...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Danny Boy on my '75 Olds Ambassador... Reply with quote

If anyone else has a touch if Irish in them (since St. Patrick's Day was last weekend), I got out my '75 Olds Ambassador cornet and played along to a downloaded soundtrack of "Danny Boy".

Is it me, or does the cornet just sound right, versus a trumpet when playing that famous ballad? I was using an old (eBay) Conn 3 cornet MP....

Link

Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Pretty sound.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work!
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Danny Boy on my '75 Olds Ambassador... Reply with quote

Butch,

Congrats!!! That's, by far, the best I've heard you play!!! Nice tone...phrasing...and a beautiful A above the staff. Keep at it...much improved!! Maybe even a little Chet Baker in ur sound!!

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, everyone! That means a lot!!

I relaxed, stayed focused on what I had to do, and played right from my gut. I concentrated on the music score (on the music stand underneath the camera tripod) while listening carefully to the soundtrack on my smartphone through my guitar amp (1/8" stereo cable with a 1/4" adapter).

I wanted to see how "Danny Boy" would sound very slowly on a cornet with an old Conn 3 (no letter) MP off eBay, and with a very subtle hint of vibrato on the whole notes.
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey. thanks for posting. I am anything but Irish (German), but still enjoyed this rendition. Good going!
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Danny Boy on my '75 Olds Ambassador... Reply with quote

maynard-46 wrote:
Butch,

Congrats!!! That's, by far, the best I've heard you play!!! Nice tone...phrasing...and a beautiful A above the staff. Keep at it...much improved!! Maybe even a little Chet Baker in ur sound!!

Butch

I second this. Great job, Butch and I love how you've backed off the loudness. I know, we play in bands and often the need is for forte and sometimes even ff. I have close by neighbors so I had to learn how to practice softly and that was a good thing.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Danny Boy on my '75 Olds Ambassador... Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
maynard-46 wrote:
Butch,

Butch

I second this. Great job, Butch and I love how you've backed off the loudness. I know, we play in bands and often the need is for forte and sometimes even ff. I have close by neighbors so I had to learn how to practice softly and that was a good thing.

Thanks, George!

I learned (perhaps the hard way?) that if I play relaxed and mellow, my tone is not blasting like an air horn on a big 18 wheeler! Ha ha ha...
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the good thing is, Butch, if called on in the band, you can really belt it out there.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice overall.

If I had a bit of advice, or a critique, it would be to remember that everything has to have motion and a direction. Even a whole note has to go somewhere. This doesn't mean that it has to have an obvious crecendo or decrescendo, but it has to have motion. Slight opening of the sound, slight closing of the sound, a slight push forward/up/louder, or a push down/softer, or you can pull the sound down, etc. The more control you have over the horn, the more expressive you'll be able to be.

Aslo, think about how your phrases connect to one another - there's always a relationship between phrases, and there's always going to be at least one target point in every phrase too.

You're definitely making some strides since the last thing I saw that you posted - good job!
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:

You're definitely making some strides since the last thing I saw that you posted - good job!

Thanks... I appreciate it! I was really trying to do my best and concentrate on a nice balanced tone out of my Olds cornet.

To add some humor - being the slight goofball that I am! - I was considering on grabbing the Fender Strat (hanging on the wall behind me in the video) and launching into "The Trooper" by Iron Maiden!!
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick, when you post something here, I pay attention. You just offered Butch some excellent advice. These are little things that I didn't even think about but I can see how much a difference they can make in a song. Thanks for taking the time to do that.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB wrote:
Patrick, when you post something here, I pay attention. You just offered Butch some excellent advice. These are little things that I didn't even think about but I can see how much a difference they can make in a song. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

I appreciate that, but I'm just like everyone else here, trying to figure out how to wrestle with this hunk of brass.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: