• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anyone have a recording of the Putty Ball routine?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidsmcwilliams

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Anyone have a recording of the Putty Ball routine? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a recording (video or audio) of themselves doing the putty ball routine from bare lips to mouthpiece and finally horn? I've never really really gotten it right and I think it might help to have the final sound of it in my ear.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone have a recording of the Putty Ball routine? Reply with quote

davidsmcwilliams wrote:
Does anyone have a recording (video or audio) of themselves doing the putty ball routine from bare lips to mouthpiece and finally horn? I've never really really gotten it right and I think it might help to have the final sound of it in my ear.

Doc never had me do it any other way than just using the horn.

You start very soft and get softer. You get so soft that there isn't even any tone, but you can still hear the pitches even though you are not really getting a trumpet sound.

The one thing he told me repeatedly is that if you "undershoot" a note that you need to try to tongue higher in your mouth.

It is not a sound drill, so sounding good on this is not the point. Maintaining the response (and your ability to still hear the pitch) as the vibrating points are reduced to their smallest possible area on the lips is the point.
davidsmcwilliams

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, so it's a tongued exercise? I've been using breath attacks ... maybe this is my problem ...

My issue has been that I'm not getting any pitch at all--just a wet popping sound--but let me try again tonight with tongued articulation.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidsmcwilliams wrote:
Wait, so it's a tongued exercise? I've been using breath attacks ... maybe this is my problem ...

My issue has been that I'm not getting any pitch at all--just a wet popping sound--but let me try again tonight with tongued articulation.

Yes, it is a tongued exercise. Very soft and tiny and immediately start getting softer and tinier. Once you get so soft the tone no longer comes out, keep it going as long as you can hear the pitches you would have played.

He used to recommend this before having to play a gig where you have a lot of soft, delicate entrances. He told me that the idea was to reduce the vibrating points down to the smallest pin-pointed area on the chops.

This is also useful for people who have trouble getting compression (squeakers) going. Now, you don't do this once and find Nirvana. You do this once a day over a period of time and gradually (for those of us who have trouble getting our squeakers going) the response factor improves to the point where we are able to get a response at those higher frequencies that used to cut out.

And then, you "suddenly" get a knack for doing squeaker drills.

Now that I've typed all this, I realize that I need to do this more often (the Putty Ball) and I thank you for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: