• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lynzoil by Bach - invented by Lynn Nicholson

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cliff Fitch
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, this seems like really good valve oil. It reminds me of the old Holton valve oil from the 70's. It has that kerosene-like smell.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Fitch wrote:
So far, this seems like really good valve oil. It reminds me of the old Holton valve oil from the 70's. It has that kerosene-like smell.

Bummer. The Holton valve oil really irritates my throat and almost forced me to quit way back in 5th or 6th grade. I guess I won't bother trying to seek it out, now.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Cliff Fitch
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant smell or taste it once its applied. Dillons has it in stock.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff Fitch wrote:
I cant smell or taste it once its applied. Dillons has it in stock.

If I see it around town, I'll pick one up and see how it is. I'm not going to make a Dillon order just for that - sorry, I've other stuff to spend on. Right now, my school band program gets Al Cass and Holton. Odorless and mediocre or strong smelling and somewhat better are not great choices. If this is better and I can get it for school since it's Conn-Selmer, that'll be good.

For myself, I don't use stuff that irritates me. Nope. Especially when there's choices out there that don't. If I can smell it when I'm applying it, it'll probably irritate my throat when it's in the horn. I'm pretty sensitive that way. I've dealt with that a lot and no valve oil is worth that. I've gone through a lot of valve oils that I've ended up giving away because of that.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
ferrarosd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: thanks for the tip Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
there's a difference between an offer for sale and profit and the player review that this is. the OP is a friend and may get some free valve oil.
hetman #1 is a very good product and i like especially it will work with other products with no cleaning. so far anyway. i've used up old bottles of zaja and then gone back to the hetman, that sort of thing.
we have wood heat so the bedrooms are cool and the trumpet will get 5 drops down the leadpipe blown through with valve combinations. the cold valve block has better action after a few seconds of blow than at start. an oil with better lubricity (?) would be fine from dead cold with minimal discernable difference after oiling. nothing to do with playing simply one way you could tell a product is doing a better job. please don't tell me life and things can't be improved.
credible people being eager to use it, i will try a bottle.

I just tried the 5 drops down the leadpipe and blow through thing and it works great. Especially on my cheap flugel that sounds great but has dicey machining and is easy to cross thread both the top and bottom caps. I too am a Hetman#1 fan and after cleaning out the Al Cass that kept gumming up the flugel, it is all I use in that and my '66 Olds Studio, and '74 Bach Mercedes, but when I run out, I'll give Lynn's new oil a try.

Steve
Terry Heckman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it immediately - felt faster and smoother. And I agree - it smells like the old "green bottle" stuff!
However, I just added it to what was in there - Al Cass.
I'll have to give the horns a good cleaning and then oil them up again.
Has anyone had experience/ been warned about mixing oils? Can they "react" with each other and end up being a bad thing? Like I said, so far so good, but that hasn't always been my experience.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running low - From the vibe of Lynn's MF protocol vid, talking with people who know him, and our email talks I get the impression that Lynn wouldn't endorse/create something that wasn't very effective. The last oil I had was very good but I had to use a lot more than was recommended so it didn't last long and I didn't consider it a good value for that reason. Also, I would love to have some valve oil that I could just put down the leadpipe and still get excellent results. Price is right on Amazon so will give it a go. Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! A few drops down the leadpipe earlier today and the valves have never moved this fast..I wonder how long it will last? Even if I had to do it every couple of days it would be worth it...This one's a winner for me! Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

must have been al cass back in the day with the kerosene smell. it wasn't only smelling it as it was applied. there were lingering fumes and you would get your VOCs with each breath.
i assume from the tenor of the remarks that lynn's oil doesn't continue on with a strong smell as you play.
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried it, and immediately increased my range by a full octave! Hello dubba C! I'm getting me a case of this stuff!
bear30101

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two months into an Olds Recording that didn't like 5 Starr. (Might be a reaction
to my chemistry.)
Lynzoil is working extremely well. Slick, long-lasting, no residue.
My thanks to Rich Ita for the horn and the oil.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bear30101 wrote:
Two months into an Olds Recording that didn't like 5 Starr. (Might be a reaction
to my chemistry.)
Lynzoil is working extremely well. Slick, long-lasting, no residue.
My thanks to Rich Ita for the horn and the oil.

Love Lynzoil, i actually use Lynzoil and monster oil at will, they work perfectly together or alone for me. Just bought 5 more bottles yesterday, great oil and can be found for great prices if you shop around.

regards,
tom
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Lynzoil by Bach - invented by Lynn Nicholson Reply with quote

Can't stand the kerosene smell!!!

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me premise this by saying that not all oils are created equal. In my experience, the big difference between petroleum, synthetic, and natural oils has been nominal, but still noticeable. I would choose natural if I found something that felt as good as synthetic, and I would choose petroleum if I wasn't concerned about the follow-on effects (ecologically, economically, and also pertaining to personal health).

1) Don't forget YOUR favourite oil uses all the same marketing as this oil "Faster. Smoother. Long-lasting.". This might seem like needless marketing from Conn-Selmer; but hell, every other oil manufacturer does the same thing.
2) Players don't put their names on things for free - they also don't design stuff for free either. Lynn would have been paid to come up with the formula for this valve oil; with the latest Californian regulations and MSDS available from the manufacturer, I'm sure you could find the formula and decide for yourself whether it is drastically different enough to warrant switching.
3) Just because Lynn is can play in the upper register and has designed things for NASA doesn't mean he'll make a good valve oil. I reckon one of the best oils I've used outside of the commercial market was mixed up by a saxophone player in his backyard. I've had manufacturers (who you would assume know a thing or two about their instruments) recommend oil that make the valves feel terrible. Also, Lynn cannot account for everyone's personal chemistry - too many variable and it would be an absolute nightmare when working with liquid materials.

In summary, don't write it off, but only believe your own hype.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it, love it and have a case of it.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: