• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How does one post an image file in a forum post?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: How does one post an image file in a forum post? Reply with quote

I've tried to figure this out, but to no avail. Couldn't find it in search (though I'm sure it's been asked before), and it's not in the FAQ (shouldn't it be?).

I want to include an image file in a post. How do I do that?

thanks
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to host it on another site; the current TH software does not support directly posting an image. Do a search to see how others have done it.

HTH - Don
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's unfortunate (and archaic).....thanks for the info.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general idea is that you post the image to an image-hosting site, get the URL to that image, and include that link in your post here.

I use imgur.com because it has lots of built-in features that make it easy. Here's how:

1. Create an account for yourself and upload an image.

2. In the imgur image post, you'll see a bunch of links in the lower right to choose a particular size and format. The best choice will depend on the original size of the image. You don't want to post a huge image on TH, because that can mess up the thread display and it isn't very considerate of bandwidth. Try "medium thumbnail" for starters.

3. Click the button to copy the BBCode for the image link, then paste that into your TH post, like this:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/fZkHGoBm.jpg[/img ] (I added a space inside the closing tag to break it so you can see the code.)

which will show the picture from imgur (I removed the space from the tag to make it work again), like this:

Medium thumbnail

4. Click the Preview button to see what the post will look like. If the image is too small or too large, go back to imgur, select a different size, copy the BBCode, replace the img code in your TH post with the new link and try again.

Small thumbnail

Small square

That's it! It's pretty easy.
Piccolo Stomvi
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently posted a response in the Horns forum with instructions on how to post images on TH using Imgur, without realizing that dstdenis already did it here. However, I go into a lot more detail (which may help those who aren't so comfortable with navigating a site like imgur.com), and I suggest an alternative, more flexible way to manage the size of an image, so I thought I'd re-post my instructions here as well:

I use Imgur (imgur.com). It's free (unless you choose to go ad-free); when you open the website, choose "sign up" and it lets you create an account.

Once you create an account, you can upload pictures to Imgur and use features there to get an image directly into a Trumpet Herald post. Pictures you take with a digital camera can be quite large (2-3 megabytes), so I find that things work better if I first create a smaller file by reducing each image with photo editing software. (The free utility Microsoft Paint works fine -- use the "Resize" feature and choose anywhere between 40-60%. Save the result under a new file name and check its properties to see what size resulted -- around 0.7 megabytes is good.)

Here are the steps to follow:

1. Sign on to Imgur.

2. In the upper right-hand corner, your Imgur user name is displayed; hover the cursor over it and left click. A drop-down menu appears; choose "Images". You will be taken to a new page where any images you have already uploaded are displayed as thumbnails.

3. In the upper right-hand corner of the new page, there is a big rectangular button labeled "Add Images". Left-click it. A window opens allowing you to drag or browse for images on your computer to upload. I usually left-click on the "Browse" button and use the resultant Windows Explorer portal to find the folder I want, select the images I want to upload, and click the "Open" button in the lower right-hand corner.

4. The images selected will be uploaded to Imgur, and thumbnails of them will appear on your "Images" page.

5. Now click on the thumbnail of an image you want to add to a Trumpet Herald post. A window opens showing your image enlarged, along with a list of links and codes with a "Copy" button next to each. (There is also a "Size" selection at the bottom of the list; I leave it at its default of "Original".) Click the "Copy" button next to "BBCode" (the fifth choice in the list).

6. Sign on to TH and start a reply or a new post. In the edit box, position the cursor where you want the image to appear, and press "CTRL V" -- the BBCode image string will be inserted. When you preview or submit your post, the actual image will appear, like so:

7. Once you are done with an image on Imgur, click the "X" in the upper right-hand corner of the link/code list window to close it. You can then repeat the process with another thumbnail. If you are finished with your Imgur session, hover over your user name and choose "sign out" at the bottom of the drop-down menu.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: