• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Nice Photo of Lee Loughnane With His CG Trpt and Mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Nice Photo of Lee Loughnane With His CG Trpt and Mouthpiece Reply with quote

I came across a great photo of Lee Loughnane performing in concert with Chicago about a month ago (June 2011) playing on his CG Personal mouthpiece and CG Selmer trumpet. Apparently he's still quite happy with his decision back around 1991 to study with Claude Gordon student Paul Witt and adopt both Claude's techniques and equipment for his playing work.

His CG training shows not only in his equipment choice, but in the way he keeps his pinky out of the finger hook, and how he lifts his fingers high and strikes the valves. If we could hear him in the photo, we’d also get to witness the most important part of his CG training – he sounds fantastic, consistently, night after night.

Here’s a link to the ITG Journal interview with Lee where he talks about what the CG approach has done for his playing:

https://www.purtle.com/lee-loughnane-interview

The article was originally published in the February 1998 edition of the ITG Journal.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Webcam Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student

Last edited by John Mohan on Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick . . . someone loan that starving trumpet player a valve cap for that old trumpet! LOL

Thanks for posting,

Tom
oxleyk2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom turner wrote:
Quick . . . someone loan that starving trumpet player a valve cap for that old trumpet! LOL

Thanks for posting,

Tom

I think that's an optical illusion caused by the shadow. If you enlarge the picture you can see the cap
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me like a heavy cap on the first, nothing on the second and regular cap on third
Johnny-Highnote
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cap in the middle isn`t missing
it`s the new VOODO-MAGIC invisible extra super heavy cap....

comming soon
but will be expensive...

38b "Frankenconn" with Bauerfeind Valve block/ Yamaha 6345G /Yamaha 631/Courtois 154G / Curry+Klier 1,5 mpc`s
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom turner wrote:

Thanks for posting,

Tom

Very welcome!

I think it's just a distortion in the photo. The valve caps on the CG Selmer are wafer-thin - and if you look close at that first picture I posted in the original post, you can see that it appears that the first valve cylinder is longer than the others (the line between the bottom of the cylinder and the valve cap appears to be at least a millimeter lower than the other two valves). I don't think it really is - I just think the picture is distorted. Here's another picture from the same concert where you can see the rim of that 2nd valve cap that looks as if it is missing in the distorted photo:

Here's another picture of Lee with the horn that even better illustrates the thin valve caps:

This picture was taken April 9th of this year.

I'm feeling very much like a trumpet-nerd creating this in depth discussion of his valve caps!
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a recent Soundstage concert on TV last night, the 50th anniversary of Chicago II. I didn't know what trumpet he was using before reading this thread -- it looked like a Benge but not quite.

At one point I was doing something else and not looking at the screen and noticed his sound was different. I looked up and saw he was playing a C trumpet. Seemed odd for a pop player.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
I watched a recent Soundstage concert on TV last night, the 50th anniversary of Chicago II. I didn't know what trumpet he was using before reading this thread -- it looked like a Benge but not quite.

At one point I was doing something else and not looking at the screen and noticed his sound was different. I looked up and saw he was playing a C trumpet. Seemed odd for a pop player.

Rare, but it happens! I remember Malcolm McNabb talking about having to play some extra-tricky Frank Zappa tunes on D trumpet and other high instruments to pull off the insanely difficult passages off.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesn't look like he's playing a CG personal anymore either

that flat bottom is not a skeletonized rim

what say you john??
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:

what say you john??

http://www.pbs.org/program/soundstage/

From what I saw it did look like a CG Personal but there weren't any real close-ups.

Last edited by oxleyk on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! This thread dredged up from the river sure brought back some memories!

I got my first serious ear-training and a start on arranging skills from copying horn parts from albums back in the 60's and 70's. We listened, learned the parts on our instruments, and wrote them down on paper so we could remember and play them at gigs. I owe the Chicago horn section a lot, as well as the Memphis Horns, BS&T, the JB's, and other great horn sections. Playing in Chicago and BS&T cover bands as a kid was wonderful practical experience for a young trumpet player.

I wonder if current bands such as Snarky Puppy, Lettuce, The Naughty Professor, etc. have the same influence on aspiring pro trumpet, sax, and trombone players today?

That shout chorus from "25 or 6 to 4" was a killer on your chops! We also did the entire album side "Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon" (I think that was the title) live back then. Great memories. Thanks for resurrecting this thread, I had never read it before.

I apologize if I have hijacked this thread from a discussion about equipment, and my tendency to do Abe Simpson-like anecdotes and rants!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:

The Selmer CG was built with a forward angled 2nd valve tube and single brace for the tuning slide (both features Claude liked on the Benge). The tuning slide itself had a more rounded curvature similar to the Benge as well. Your "it looked like a Benge but not quite" comment pretty much nails it.

And yes, Lee's always used a C trumpet for the some of the classical style music in the show. In particular, for the trumpet solo in Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon.

https://s25.postimg.org/7ll4s8zbz/Ballet_for_a_Girl_in_Buchannon.jpg

homebilly wrote:

what say you john??

You're right, that doesn't look like a CG Personal mouthpiece. But when Anne and I were at the combined Chicago / Earth, Wind & Fire concert in April 2016 at the United Center I'm 99% certain he was playing his CG Personal and Selmer CG trumpet.

Bobby got us back stage passes and that was actually the first time I met Lee. The concert was great and both Bobby and Lee just nailed it.

https://s25.postimg.org/sajcrpk27/Anne_Bobby_and_John.jpg

https://s25.postimg.org/rex8kr2db/IMG_5990.jpg

The finale with both bands on stage performing together (AWESOME!!!):

https://s25.postimg.org/qpeg8h1un/IMG_5988.jpg

You know, after looking again at that picture of Lee and me, there's a bit of a resemblance. Add a goatee to my face, and from a distance... well... if Lee ever wanted to sub out.... Lee, are you reading this?
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John really needs some therapy for his low self-esteem.

John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
John really needs some therapy for his low self-esteem.

Oh no, I already did. Worked great, didn't it?

terrys17
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect response!
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll ask bobby next time i see him. i'll prolly see him on wednesday night

Lee is playing the CG piece (blank in any case) in the video but
sure don't look like it in the photo
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Chicago at the Venetian in Las Vegas on February 17. They played the ENTIRE Chicago II album as the first set!! They came back and played all their hits for the second set. Lee didn't miss or chip a note all night and was playing F's at the end of the 2nd set. He just blew me away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: