• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Marketplace 'views' vs sale prospects

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lobosky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Marketplace 'views' vs sale prospects Reply with quote

I'm rather new to TH, and early today posted an ad in marketplace which has been 'viewed' 47 times, yet yielded no contact from any prospective purchaser. Is this normal? I've attempted to 'answer the ad' myself, and entered a message to be sent to an alternate e-mail address of mine, but have yet to receive that message of inquiry. So, I'm wondering after a message has been entered how long it takes to be relayed to the ad creator? I'm selling a single item, and once it's been committed to a purchaser, intend to quickly remove my ad and avoid having it mislead other sale prospects. There's an ad for another obviously only 'one for sale' single item which has been up for over 5 days with 702 views, and I'd expect it to have been gone by now, but it's still there.
Thank you for your response to this post.

Last edited by lobosky on Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because I look at something, doesn't mean I want to buy it. I just came back from a trip to Hawaii, and I always stop and look at the Tesla cars that are smack in the middle of downtown. I have viewed those cars a million times...but never thought once of buying one.

For the ads with high view counts, it might either just look really cool, or the ad is just so ridiculous that I have to keep looking at it for entertainment. For example, there is an ad that advertises the HOLY GRAIL of trumpets, and if you search for it and read it, you can figure out why no one has bought it.

I have never sent an email to my own ad but I have purchased ALOT of items on the site so I'm going to say the turnaround time for emails is quick.

I will say, with just nine posts under your belt...there is a credibility issue.

Now, if there are no views, then you know something ain't right.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with theslawdawg (Aloha!). People can have curiosity or simply look and decide to pass.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
lobosky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: response to replies Reply with quote

Guess I'd better 'cut this short' before it gets out of hand. I'd replied to 'theslawdawg' via a private mail, but it seems it would been better to post a response here.

There shouldn't be a credibility issue (nor one of being a member for only a short while), because in my ad (selling a NEW mouthpiece) I've offered to assume total risk by sending it to the purchaser (with free s/h) for approval upon its arrival BEFORE the seller pays me ANYTHING.

Also... the headline of my ad clearly states the discounted price of it, so I'd think those choosing to view the entire ad would be interested in purchasing, and I'm wondering if prospects have tried to contact me, but their messages aren't being relayed to me.
-Ed .
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: response to replies Reply with quote

lobosky wrote:
Guess I'd better 'cut this short' before it gets out of hand. I'd replied to 'theslawdawg' via a private mail, but it seems it would been better to post a response here.

There shouldn't be a credibility issue (nor one of being a member for only a short while), because in my ad (selling a NEW mouthpiece) I've offered to assume total risk by sending it to the purchaser (with free s/h) for approval upon its arrival BEFORE the seller pays me ANYTHING.

Also... the headline of my ad clearly states the discounted price of it, so I'd think those choosing to view the entire ad would be interested in purchasing, and I'm wondering if prospects have tried to contact me, but their messages aren't being relayed to me.
-Ed .

That's not likely. I have had plenty of success in selling and buying items from the marketplace. Maybe your price is too high, or maybe there just isn't enough interest in general. A view means literally nothing. I view things all the time out of pure curiosity, but have no interest in purchasing them.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP: relax. No one on the internet, on this site or any other, owes you anything. Like all sellers all over the world, if your product isn't moving you need to lower the price or sell it in a different venue.

TH, like Ebay, Amazon, or any other online marketplace, is a reputation-based system. Your 10 posts, 2 of which are to complain that no one is buying your stuff, is not really enough to establish a trusted reputation.

I've bought and sold many dozens of items through TH over the years. But sometimes you need to lower the price to move something in a hurry. You may have noticed that you're not the only person on the internet selling a mouthpiece.

Good luck though!
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: response to replies Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
A view means literally nothing. I view things all the time out of pure curiosity, but have no interest in purchasing them.

I definitely do that.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
y-o-y
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I viewed your ad. I did not send an email. 1 down, 46 to go.

We can get to the bottom of this mystery TH!
lobosky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: message has been received Reply with quote

A message has been received via TH relay to my e-mail address. So, this is proof to me what you've said is true... some just seem to want to browse rather than having any intention of making a purchase ... even when there's no reason to 'open' an ad... except out of curiosity.
Thank you for your replies.
--Ed
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I viewed the ad after reading this thread with no interest in buying a mouthpiece. I may have hit refresh a few times to up the view count as well. I may have just refreshed your ad a few times again.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Marketplace 'views' vs sale prospects Reply with quote

lobosky wrote:
I'm rather new to TH, and early today posted an ad in marketplace which has been 'viewed' 47 times, yet yielded no contact from any prospective purchaser. Is this normal? I've attempted to 'answer the ad' myself, and entered a message to be sent to an alternate e-mail address of mine, but have yet to receive that message of inquiry. So, I'm wondering after a message has been entered how long it takes to be relayed to the ad creator? I'm selling a single item, and once it's been committed to a purchaser, intend to quickly remove my ad and avoid having it mislead other sale prospects. There's an ad for another obviously only 'one for sale' single item which has been up for over 5 days with 702 views, and I'd expect it to have been gone by now, but it's still there.
Thank you for your response to this post.

You are on the right track. Give the seller an offer they cannot refuse.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at a lot of ads on TH with no interest in buying. I'm just curious to see what's being offered and at what price to keep abreast of what the market looks like. I collect horns and try to stay on top of current values.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: