• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A little puzzle (Vacchiano - Prager - Glanz trumpet section)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
connloyalist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:43 am    Post subject: A little puzzle (Vacchiano - Prager - Glanz trumpet section) Reply with quote

I was hesitating whether to put this in the horns or orchestral section, so a bit of both here.

Several years ago I picked up two "vintage" Conn posters on eBay. Both were printed in 1936. I framed one of them and it now hangs on my living room wall. It says "These great artists and conductors of the New York Philharmonic - Symphony Society of New York use or endorse Conn instruments". It has pictures of several well known conductors (including Toscanini) and the following picture:

Click the picture to enlarge. Please excuse the reflection from the glass.

So here is a little puzzle. Mark you, I don't have the answers either, but maybe we can figure this out together.

1. When, or between which dates, was this picture taken? The poster was printed in August 1936, so not later than that date.

2. Was this indeed the brass section of the NY Phil? Or actually some other orchestra?

3. Which of these gentlemen wasn't playing a Conn? My guess would be the bass (Vincenzo Vanni), but I am not sure.

4. Which models are the others playing?
Roy Haines (back left) appears to have a 70H bass trombone. The braces on Nathan Prager's trumpet can only be a 2B New World Symphony.... if it is a Conn (a bit hard to tell from this angle).

Any ideas?

Regards, Christine
connloyalist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it is "not done" to answer my own question here, but a little googling brings up this:

Nathan Prager joined the NY Phil in 1929, with Vachiano and Glanz already there. So the picture must have been taken between '29 and '36.

I also found that Roy Haines did indeed play a 70H and that George Lucas used a 78H. Yes, I know this is a trumpet forum

Regards, Christine
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christine, do you know if their horns were free?
connloyalist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

PostPosted: 06 May 2011 13:45 Post subject:
Christine, do you know if their horns were free?

Sorry, not a clue.

Edit: Let me amend that: probably not. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Conn at some point (perhaps when Greenleaf took over from Col. Conn) stopped paying musicians for endorsements. It seems unlikely that they would then give instrument out for free to these people.

Regards, Christine
Jay Lichtmann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prager's horn does not appear to be a Conn. Check out the braces, it looks like a Bach.
gringoloco
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same. Looks like a Bach to me.

And...why would you need five trombones and only three trumpets?
Bach NY M Bb
Bach/Melk Eb
Schilke P7-4
Schilke A2C cornet
King Silversonic Bb/A cornet
Melk PVAs
Stork Custom mouthpieces
connloyalist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Prager's horn does not appear to be a Conn. Check out the braces, it looks like a Bach.

Possible, but a Bach might be a bit of a stretch. Yes, on the one hand Bach was in New York at the time producing trumpets. Since this is the NY Phil, it is possible he used a Bach.

However, having established that this picture was taken somewhere between 1929 and 1936, you have to look at it from a historical perspective. Keep in mind that Vincent Bach had only just started his company. From what I can make out on the BachLoyalist website, by 1936 Bach had produced a total of about 4000 trumpets. That is 4000 trumpets since the start of his company a few years earlier. Look at it this way: you are a pro trumpet player in New York. What are the chances that you will play a trumpet by such a very small company that many people might not even had heard of (yet...)?

Also, take a look at this picture of a 2B New World Symphony:

I agree that the braces are not quite the same, so it is possible Prager was playing something other than a Conn. But I don't really think it was a Bach. But I invite people to prove me wrong on that

Regards, Christine
brishook1

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great photo, Christine. I believe I have some helpful information for you.

William Vacchiano joined the NYP in 1935, so this picture could not have been taken before then.

The reason there are on 3 trumpets is because Max Schlossberg was very ill at this time. Vacchiano joined the NYP as third/assistant principal and Schlossberg was fourth. Harry Glantz left in 1942 to go to NBC with Toscanini and that is when Vacchiano became principal.

All of the musicians in the picture were members of the NYP at one time, save for Robert Paolucci who (according to Wikipedia, not my favorite source) played with CBS.

Best,
Brian
www.williamvacchiano.com
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pros from all over the east coast were well aware of Bach's reputation for horns, new as it might be. My 1929 was originally purchased by Richard Shuebruk, former principal trumpet of the Boston Symphony. It's not unlikely that any of the NY Phils had Bachs by 1935.

ed
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture says "eight out of nine" so, there is one non Conn in there.
miltinlv

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan Prager and Harry Glanz were cousins and grew up playing trumpet together. Their tone was enough of a match to impress Toscanini. I would expect that they played similar, if not the same, model horn.
dem

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture of Prager's horn does not have the brace between the 3rd valve slide and the leadpipe entry to the 3rd valve. So, not a Conn?
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prager there from 1929. Vacchiano came in 1934. Glantz left in 1942. That narrows it down top 1934-1936.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
dfgordon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it is possible that Prager’s horn is a Bach, it is perhaps more likely that it is a French Besson. These instruments were the most common in orchestras at the time and were the basis for the designs of Bach, Benge and many other instrument makers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: