• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Types of Lead Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advice of trying a shallower version of the current mpc was a good one and got the consensus of almots everybody.
We gone of from the track when the conversation gone to the Shew mpcs.

To be clear : yes, i agree, as a 1st option, to use a shallower version of the current mpc.
But at the time i was in conservatory, we classical students when going to the jazz dpt there, were not warned in this way not to play "lead" mpcs. The classical teacher, that played pops and jazz in his youth, and of course the jazz teacher, gave us advices to try, then play "lead" mpcs if required.
And all us students then, with good embouchure, have not been messed up with these "lead" mpcs, but have became pro.
When i got my 1st Prix in classical, playing a big deep Courtois mpc, at the same time i was playing lead in the big band and orchestras with a Jet-tone Al Hirt.

The rule must be adapted to people and contexts, and must not be a dogma.

Best and peace
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from Gary Radtke:

It's not about shallow. It's about a match for you.

The alpha angle is the #1 issue with smaller Volume mouthpieces or any Volume mouthpiece. The alpha angle is simply the reference of the 1st cup radius to the bite radius. Super high 26+ degrees and that is about where the Shew is. High 21 to 26, Med high 16 to 20, Medium 14 to 16, Med low 12 to 14, low 10 to 12, very low below 10.

It's not uncommon to play great upper register on a 15 alpha. Of course the L1 and R1 come into play as well as L2 and the beta angle.

Think Smaller Volume, not shallower, you could have a shallower mouthpiece with a low alpha angle and it would have more volume.

The higher alpha angle can impinge the lip and stop vibration. An alpha angle too low will cause air balls where you can't build compression and the lip never returns to the equilibrium position causing a stop in vibration (you might hear some air or a splatter then air), this condition requires a higher alpha, more resistance, or smaller volume.

Best solution is to do some testing and find out what works. The things listed here are only a suggestion. It might work and it might not. We have way to help determine a process to figure this out.

GR
www.grmouthpieces.com
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Types of Lead Mouthpieces Reply with quote

Ssejka wrote:
Hi all,
My name is Scott. I am currently in high school and play in the Cleveland area. Recently I played lead trumpet in the school musical(Spamalot). While I had the range to play the show, I was pretty much reaching my limit by the end of the practice runs. However, the other lead had me try one of his "cheater" mouthpieces. It didn't do all of the miracles he said it would, but it did give me a bit more ease and endurance in the higher register throughout the show. Now that the show is over, I've began to look into these lead mouthpieces, and I was wondering which ones you all would recommend. The one that I tried was a Jet tone, but I'm not sure what some of the other good options are. Thanks!

I've found that the shallower pieces generally used for lead playing usually need to get customized or I can't use them.

Maynard knew this as he went through most of his whole career with a well rounded bite on a shallow cup with a "V" or convex bowl. That and a very open throat. Such as a #16 drill bit. Most trumpet players don't realize this but a shallow cup with a huge throat and open back bore generally creates the biggest soun
d for jazz trumpet playing.

I've never quite been able to use a #16 throat. The #23 seems to work great. However 23 is still a pretty big throat.

Before I learned which size throat that Maynard used I truly wondered why he got such a big sound compared even to Arturo who uses a much bigger mouthpiece. But the reason is Maynard's open throat.

The O/P might be advised to get two lead mouthpieces. Keeping one as is and other slightly bored out. This way in case you go too far you'll still have your original to carry through.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
Yes, but the same John Mohan that you cite, and makes often very good suggestions and posts, is the same one that named the Shew signature mpcs...
And the recurrent song concerns ID, in absolute regard, while it must be in relative regard (i mean a small thing is always greater or less small than another thing.
And about the hero comparison, i could say : if you're in a 100m race or a marathon, the goal is it either to win or go til the end, or to do the race carrying 30 kgs on your shoulder, just to be proud of it and have not been able to sprint really nor to finish your marathon ?
Mouthpieces are the same : you must choose in function of comfort, sound, ease, efficiency, and not a big one because they told you to do so, and stay with it even if you can't do the job with that mpc...

Audience judge the trumpet players not in function of what they play, but how they play and sound.

best

Not sure I understand your point. John is obviously not a fan of the Shew mouthpiece, so does that mean they will not work for anyone? Of course not.

And audiences in general of course have no clues about equipment, many of them also don’t really hear imperfections that musicians do, unless the player(s) have a train wreck on stage. We’ve all had people tell us how great we sound on those nights when WE thought we sucked.....and sometimes vise versa.

Also not sure about your comparison on running distance (which I’ve done, and I realize this is not a discussion about that). For a high school level player (MOST high school players anyway), I don’t believe they should be using any extreme mouthpiece, at either end of the spectrum, GENERALLY. Most kids at that age are not in the same position, development-wise, as an accomplished player making equipment choices that might make the job easier. There are small minorities of kids who are accomplished far beyond their years who probably can make those equipment choices, in general though, I don’t think so.

Brad
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
For a high school level player (MOST high school players anyway), I don’t believe they should be using any extreme mouthpiece, at either end of the spectrum, GENERALLY.

Indeed... and I'd include most 1.5c's and some of the larger 3C's (including most of the Mt Vernon copies) in that "extreme" category - there's simply no need to be playing on something like that in highschool.

Sure, there might be a very occaisional student that might benefit, but for most it's unnecessary at best and often unwise (IMHO).
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
For a high school level player (MOST high school players anyway), I don’t believe they should be using any extreme mouthpiece, at either end of the spectrum, GENERALLY.

Indeed... and I'd include most 1.5c's and some of the larger 3C's (including most of the Mt Vernon copies) in that "extreme" category - there's simply no need to be playing on something like that in highschool.

Sure, there might be a very occaisional student that might benefit, but for most it's unnecessary at best and often unwise (IMHO).

Totally agree with TKSop

Brad, the point is not what John or me or you like or don't like.
Like i said, the good suggestion, consensual, was for the OP to try a shallower version of his current mpc.

There was absolutely no need to name Bobby's mpc or abusively so-called smaaaall ID mpc. Out from the question, and no interest at all.

Is there a necessity that i say Bach's rims hurt me and so do they for a lot of trumpet players i know ? that in conservatory a lot of us suffered from these bloody 1 1/2C ?
I know only 2 people making a serious lead career, playing 3C or 3E or F if needed.
And Serafin Aguilar that plays great with this mpc, unplayable for me.

There's absolutely no necessity that i say Bach's rim are like knives, and 1 1/2C is a "cheater" mpc for classical music ! of course i'm joking

The thing is to help the OP, according to the elements he gives, and to what we understand about his problematic, story, capacities, morphology, physiology.
He must not care about what i like or not, what works for me or not.

As for my experience, it may not be something to generalize, but teachers have to guide their student at one point of their development and studies, with mpcs switching, of course smartly and wisely.

best
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
TKSop wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Totally agree with TKSop

Brad, the point is not what John or me or you like or don't like.
Like i said, the good suggestion, consensual, was for the OP to try a shallower version of his current mpc.

There was absolutely no need to name Bobby's mpc or abusively so-called smaaaall ID mpc. Out from the question, and no interest at all.

Is there a necessity that i say Bach's rims hurt me and so do they for a lot of trumpet players i know ? that in conservatory a lot of us suffered from these bloody 1 1/2C ?
I know only 2 people making a serious lead career, playing 3C or 3E or F if needed.
And Serafin Aguilar that plays great with this mpc, unplayable for me.

There's absolutely no necessity that i say Bach's rim are like knives, and 1 1/2C is a "cheater" mpc for classical music ! of course i'm joking

The thing is to help the OP, according to the elements he gives, and to what we understand about his problematic, story, capacities, morphology, physiology.
He must not care about what i like or not, what works for me or not.

As for my experience, it may not be something to generalize, but teachers have to guide their student at one point of their development and studies, with mpcs switching, of course smartly and wisely.

best

I don’t really think we disagree, in general here. Personally I almost never recommend a specific mouthpiece to anyone, whether they are experienced or students, there are just too many factors that come into play with individual physical differences. But back to the OP, I still contend that for a young player, messing around with mouthpieces at either end of the spectrum is a bad idea. GENERALLY.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, in general, both "ends" of the spectrum statistically concern only few percentage. I think we agree about that.

I just notice that the OP didn't say which mpc he's playing, which was the "lead" mpc he tried, so we all only could suggest him, like i repeated previously, to try a shallower version of his current mpc.
And the OP has disappeared from the thread while we're still debating about it

best
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:

And the OP has disappeared from the thread while we're still debating about it

best

That figures, happens all the time.🙄
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... when i start a thread asking question or advices from THers, i'm more implicated in the conversation...

to each his own !

Have a good weekend !
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I genuinely would like your opinions on why a Marc. Shew 1.5 mouthpiece would be considered extreme?

It's not particularly small in diameter nor too shallow IMO.

So what is it then?
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Marcinkiewicz Shew 2. It feels pretty tiny in diameter (much smaller than the specs indicate), but then my regular diameter is in the Bach 3 to 5 range (I play a Marcinkiewicz 3/5C). The Shew 2 diameter feels like the Bach 10.5 range to me.

The depth of the Shew 2 is not shallow at all compared to some. It seems like it’s in the range of my Purviance 4*K4, perhaps a tiny bit deeper.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, i'll not answer about small or large, since i think this consideration should be regarded as a relative/individual one.

But yes, indeed, Marcinkiewicz give pretty discordant (conflicting) specs, as they measure the ID differently than almost all the other brands.
My feeling about the Ingram mpc'ID, given at 16.54mm, is that it corresponds to a Bach 10 3/4 given at 15.75mm.

best
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Types of Lead Mouthpieces Reply with quote

Ssejka wrote:
Hi all,
My name is Scott. I am currently in high school and play in the Cleveland area. Recently I played lead trumpet in the school musical(Spamalot). While I had the range to play the show, I was pretty much reaching my limit by the end of the practice runs. However, the other lead had me try one of his "cheater" mouthpieces. It didn't do all of the miracles he said it would, but it did give me a bit more ease and endurance in the higher register throughout the show. Now that the show is over, I've began to look into these lead mouthpieces, and I was wondering which ones you all would recommend. The one that I tried was a Jet tone, but I'm not sure what some of the other good options are. Thanks!

Good advice has been given - here just another observation: Too shallow mouthpieces might make the lips bottom, too cramped (small diameter - in my case meaning below16,25mm) might put a heavy burden on a very small area of your lips, forcing you to "pinch" just to get inside.
So a diameter which is good for you, a rim that feels comfy and space enough to prevent bottoming. The alpha angle has to be moderate - big ones as have the Schilke 14/15A4:s and A4a are quite difficult.
Personally I found the Stork StudioMaster series very sensible in these respects. Same kind of rim helps.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll shamelessly paraphrase Tom Turner here, as he gave very solid advice (in my experience) regarding mouthpieces. It helped me a ton load when I was doing a safari.

Think of them as shoes. Yes, you can get a pair of Italian custom made shoes at Goodwill for 5 bucks, but if they are 3 sizes too small, what have you accomplished? They may look great, but if you can't walk a block in them, are no use whatsoever.

First thing regarding mouthpieces as in shoes, is what size fits? We are talking rim diameter here.

I'll now draw on personal experience, bought a Warburton demo kit and played a 2D, 5D, 8D and 10D each for a month. What I found was, varying only diameter, the 8D was the best overall for me. I have thin lips, an underbite, and at that time, limited time to practice. The 5D got a gorgeous tone, good articulation, but required an hour a day on the horn, to maintain anything in the realm of endurance.

Essentially gave away the demo kit (stinkeye in the direction of someone who if reading this, knows who you are, you still owe me) and bought a 6D.

Nirvana. Perfect balance across the board, and for cornet still play a 6D and 8* backbore today.

So of course, locked in to the 6 diameter, and bought a 6SV and 6M to supplement the 6D. And a 6BC, just to go to the other extreme.

6SV, which is a very shallow cup, was a total waste of money.

6M was better, but was constantly chipping notes and had a problem with intonation, but OMG, could lip up notes an octave above anything I had ever done before!

For 5 minutes. Not worth it.

So here I am, back to the original 6D. So I start messing around with different backbores, from some generic 6 and 8's, and some commercial variables.

Now understand this, every step, I was getting a bit better, because of a LOT of variables, like I was practicing regularly, doing Caruso and the Balanced Embouchure, and performing in two different bands, one pops, one blues and soul.

After all that, discovered the Stork Studio Master line of mouthpieces, and found 3, all the same diameter (remember the shoe reference?, find what fits) that do different things. The shallowest cup and tightest backbore kills endurance, but can accurately hit notes in the upper register, is my 'Polk Salad Annie' and 'Proud Mary' mouthpiece, and gets played for nothing else.

The next one is a deeper cup, and standard 27 backbore, and is my 75% mouthpiece.

The next one is deeper still, and is the ballad piece. I don't solo, don't improvise, so when I have to provide the lower voice, usually playing the tenor sax part an octave down, use this one. On the rare occasion I have to solo, use this one, and write out my solos (slowly, and painfully) to fit a range I can play at the end of a 4 hour gig. At this point my chops are sore and swollen, and just want to sound good, and do something somebody wants to hear.

The point of all this is, if you really want to do a mouthpiece safari, have a few grand available and plan to devote a few years to the process.

If you have good endurance, tone, and flexibility on what you have now, forget range, that will come with practice and experience. Mr. Sandoval plays a 3C, the worst mouthpiece I've ever owned or played, and can kill with it.

I never went on a safari for range, instead did it for endurance and tone.
Since all other motivesfame, money, power, even honorare thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it. Wayne Booth
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawler Bb wrote:
I have a Marcinkiewicz Shew 2. It feels pretty tiny in diameter (much smaller than the specs indicate), but then my regular diameter is in the Bach 3 to 5 range (I play a Marcinkiewicz 3/5C). The Shew 2 diameter feels like the Bach 10.5 range to me.

The Marcinkiewicz Website gives the inner diameter specs on all of their mouthpieces and the Shew pieces are 3ish in inner diameter ... they are wide. As far as sitting in drawers goes, Brian MacDonald; Scott Englebright; Adolfo Acosta; Wayne Bergeron ( before GR ) and I could go on.

Saying there are “cheater mouthpieces” is like saying certain shoe sizes are cheater shoes.

YOU find what works for YOU by trying different things. If you are playing correctly, you can play on any size and configuration; however, a certain inner diameter, alpha angle, cup shape, throat size and back bore configuration will fit you the best. Only YOU can decide that.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
Lawler Bb wrote:

The Marcinkiewicz Website gives the inner diameter specs on all of their mouthpieces and the Shew pieces are 3ish in inner diameter ... they are wide. As far as sitting in drawers goes, Brian MacDonald; Scott Englebright; Adolfo Acosta; Wayne Bergeron ( before GR ) and I could go on.

Saying there are “cheater mouthpieces” is like saying certain shoe sizes are cheater shoes.

YOU find what works for YOU by trying different things. If you are playing correctly, you can play on any size and configuration; however, a certain inner diameter, alpha angle, cup shape, throat size and back bore configuration will fit you the best. Only YOU can decide that.

+1!
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:

They are not wide. Not a 3 diameter by a long shot. The Marcinkiewicz specs are different what they feel. Yes, those players play the Shew series, or variation of a Shew, but that doesn't have anything to do with my comment.

RussellDDixon wrote:

I didn't say this. Perhaps someone else did.

RussellDDixon wrote:

Not quite true, but close. In my almost 30 years of playing and almost 20 years of teaching there are some sizes and configuration that simply won't work. Not many, but some. Otherwise, yes, I agree.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that there's such huge disagreement on ID...

Firstly yes, marcinkiewicz stated ID figures seem to be different to other makers - not wrong, and consistent throughout the range, but you wouldn't want to assume that a piece will be your size just because stated ID matches what you'd choose from most other brands.

I definitely wouldn't put the marcinkiewicz shews at a Bach 3ish size, but I wouldn't put them near a 10.5c either... Somewhere inbetween, more 7E-ish to me
chip crotts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott!!

There is a lot of positive to be taken as everyone on here is sincerely giving you their own personal thoughts and even though we can go round and round, we all mean well and want to help! Finding "the right tool" is personal and if the mouthpiece you tried made things a little bit easier for you, keep that in mind as you are looking. However, to go along with the idea of playing your same piece right now for all styles, I'd focus more on your approach to the upper register.

Players have played lead on everything from something like a 1C (Byron Stripling) to the smallest pieces you could find (Cat Anderson). The truth is its much more important that you focus on developing your range correctly than just finding a piece thats easier. The mouthpiece should ENHANCE the practice and work you've put in to build range correctly, not necessarily DO the work for you.

If you are dead set on trying other pieces, staying closer to what you currently play feel wise is always a good place to start. Personally, I play a bigger rim classical piece and a smaller rim commercial piece, but I've also taken years to learn how to do this. If you can stay close to your current rim size and feel, it might make switching easier long term, which is valuable for being a versatile player in today's music scene. Good luck!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: