• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bb vs C

View previous topic :: View next topic  
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Bb vs C Reply with quote

Total newbie on the subject, have a C trumpet on the way and would like everyone's thoughts. Yes, I did search it, and didn't find anything that really helped.

In GENERAL terms, do you play the same mouthpiece on C you play on Bb? Or do you change something, like cup depth or throat?

As I haven't got it in hand, and blown a single note, may be a non issue, may be just fine with what I normally use, and no, not going to list my setup, as it is specific for me and is not relevant to the topic.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exact same mouthpiece. I take it out of my B flat trumpet and put it in my C trumpet.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonsense Eliminator wrote:
Exact same mouthpiece. I take it out of my B flat trumpet and put it in my C trumpet.

Thank you for the response.

Anything I should be aware of, as regards the difference between the two?

I have spent the past 6 years just transposing, whenever we were handed a piano chart and told, make it work. No problem, step it up and add two sharps, no biggie.

However, our horn section just went from me and another guy, to 4 trumpets, tenor sax, and trombone, and the other guys all play C trumpets on occasion, depending on the ink they were handed.

My response with the other guy, whenever he grabbed the C has always been, grab the fluegel, and just do my best to blend.

Now that we have an arranger who wants me on trumpet, have had some major (to me) intonation problems trying to blend the one Bb to 3 C's.

So I got a C. Just trying to figure out what to expect.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use what you have and play the hell out of it.

After some time of honest good practice on it if things don't jive, only then experiment w/mpcs. I say experiment w/mpcs rather than modding the horn because a mpc is usually less expensive than horn mods and will not automatically result in a permanent change. Once you solder something new on, adjust the receiver, adjust the braces, the horn won't play the same even if you put it back the way it was.

There are some notes that tend to require what most would consider alternate fingerings, probably the most common being 4th space E/Eb needing to be fingered 12 & 23, but not every C needs this (mine doesn't). For most players, these are probably just standard fingerings. Top F and G can be sharp if you're not careful. A lot of these issues are not consistent between horns, so just get a tuner out and use what works best.

Record yourself a lot. You may find less of the sound radiates back to you than on a Bb, so you "sound different." Recording yourself will help you hear how you really sound.

Play duets with someone else also on C, and record those as well.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
Just use what you have and play the hell out of it.

After some time of honest good practice on it if things don't jive, only then experiment w/mpcs. I say experiment w/mpcs rather than modding the horn because a mpc is usually less expensive than horn mods and will not automatically result in a permanent change. Once you solder something new on, adjust the receiver, adjust the braces, the horn won't play the same even if you put it back the way it was.

Agree completely.

I own about 45 trumpets, in varying stages of condition, and makes and models, from stock NOS to heavily modified. I love them all, and have about 30 in presently unplayable condition because I had dreams of bringing them back. Including 4 Martin Imperials, and two Committees. All 6 are total crap, but they aren't building any more of them, so time is on my side, and someday I will make some money on them.

Modding an existing well playing horn is only effective, if you are trying to dial in something. Or bring it back.

I own one Jason Harrelson horn, a VERY rare (in it's own right) 1942 Conn 12B. In 1942, Conn was retooling for the war effort, was making bomb sights and navigation equipment, which required the degree of engineering precision only they could provide. ALL copper was being devoted to the war effort, so a copper belled trumpet manufactured in a year Conn only manufactured 1877 musical instruments TOTAL, was pretty rare.

It was essentially a pile of scrap. Jason converted it into a playable instrument, that is a total perversion of historical accuracy. I like that in a person.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use a 'slightly' different mouthpiece on my C trumpet vs. my Bb, but I don't any longer.

I was on a Curry 3C. for Bb, and the same thing, but with a 24/24 setup underneath on the C. I though it worked just a little bit better on the C, but felt like more 'work' at the same time.

More recently I've gone to a "Reese Piece" which is made by Curry (with his normal blank), but sold by Ken Larson. It is on a slightly shorter shank than normal and though I'm not sure on the numbers, feels slightly smaller at t he rim but perhaps a little bit deeper. Quite comfortable for me.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it will depend some on your skill level, and the two instruments you have.

I have 2 Bb's and a C.. all very different in design (weight, bore size, bell size/shape. and the sound/style that I want out of them)... So, 3 matched pieces.. same rim different underpart.

My C is a larger bore thus like a slightly more open throat and at times, depending upon the music/ensemble, a significanlty more open throat and deaper cup.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the (exact) same mouthpiece for Bb and C trumpet.
kxk558

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try to stay with the same mouthpiece for a couple of years. If you decide to have a different mouthpiece for your C trumpet I would try and stay near the same size as your Bb. Maybe same rim but different cup or whatever..
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would probably be best to stick with the same mouthpiece (hopefully some type of C-depth cup) until you have some experience with the horn.

C trumpets are definitely a different animal than your typical Bb. The balance of resistance is a little different. The crispness and brilliance of the sound are as well. The E and Eb at the top of the staff should definitely be fingered 1,2 and 2,3. It is not just for intonation reasons (but they are typically very flat) but for timbre concerns as well. I can definitely tell if I am talking to someone who plays more Bb than C when they start to refer to using “false” or alternate fingerings for those notes. Those are just the fingerings for those notes for C trumpet...
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't like playing C trumpet, but it happens. Whether or not you switch mouthpiece is either up to you, and/or the instrument. My C trumpet responds incredibly poorly to the mouthpiece I use on Bb, so I got something in the ballpark of the rim and cup that I use on Bb, but with a bigger throat and backbore. I actually ended up on a ridiculously huge backbore for C trumpet, n fact, since it made the horn play/sound better.

You're not going to know a whole lot about what you should be doing with the instrument, until it's in your hands.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a short-shank mouthpiece with more open throat and backbore on my C. Cup and rim same as Bb mpc. I find it helps with intonation and better matches the resistance/feel of my Bb.

YMMV - Don
steevo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in college (many years ago), I could never get the sound I wanted on C trumpet with my trusty Bach 1-1/4 C that I used on Bb. I experimented with many different mouthpieces, and found that to get the sound I wanted on C trumpet, I tended to go bigger. My go-to C trumpet mouthpiece at the time was a Schilke 20 with an enlarged throat. (I forget how big that was.) It was a chore to play, both for endurance and intonation, but I was able to make the sound I wanted.

About 20 years ago, I started playing a Monette B2 for Bb (today I have several variations of the B2), and for the occasional times I needed to play C trumpet, I would plug that in my C and it worked OK. A couple of years ago, I needed to play more on the C, so I purchased a used Monette C2. That worked extremely well. I was able to get the sound I want, it plays easy and I don't have to fight intonation.

Find what works for you, and don't look back.
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

You may have heard this advice already, if so feel free to move on. I have found that keeping the same rim and cup, but opening the throat and backbore for C trumpet works well as a starting point.

If you have a mouthpiece that is working well on B flat, you might try ordering that mouthpiece with a more open bore (25 or 24), and a "schmidt" style or "bach 24 style" orchestral backbore.

This approach allows for the rim and cup to be familiar, and therefore minimizes the feeling of something totally new. Later, once you're accustomed to playing C, you may try a deeper cup as well. Then again, you may be fine with a C cup. Many people make that work!

Best of luck!

Dave

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass
AlbertHwang

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same for B flat and C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: