• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Valve Tuning Slide Parts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTRPT

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Valve Tuning Slide Parts Reply with quote

I'm (possibly) looking into a future of trumpet making as either a hobby or business depending on how much I happen to enjoy it. I understand most things I've soaked up from internet searches, however, I'm still confused on valve slide construction. First, I'm not completely understanding what people mean by the "sheath", "ferrule", "inside slide", and "middle slide" of the valve tuning slides. I've learned that this means that the slide isn't simply one piece. If somebody could give me resources or just their knowledge on how these parts are made or even just fit together to make the slide, I would be very thankful.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve Tuning Slide Parts Reply with quote

GTRPT wrote:
I'm (possibly) looking into a future of trumpet making as either a hobby or business depending on how much I happen to enjoy it. I understand most things I've soaked up from internet searches, however, I'm still confused on valve slide construction. First, I'm not completely understanding what people mean by the "sheath", "ferrule", "inside slide", and "middle slide" of the valve tuning slides. I've learned that this means that the slide isn't simply one piece. If somebody could give me resources or just their knowledge on how these parts are made or even just fit together to make the slide, I would be very thankful.

A good start would be to buy the book
"The practical band instrument repair manual. (Paperback), by Clayton H. Tiede, 1962", available for under $25 from Amazon.com

Also, check out page 30 of this document.
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A ferrule is the short tubing that joins two pieces.
You will find ferrules connecting the bell to the valve block, the slides to the crooks, and other parts depending on the design.

I have never heard of the tubing referred to as a sheath, but that would mean the outer tubing.
Typically it is referred to as inner or outer tubing

The 3rd slide has a number of ways of being constructed, depending on the design. Some are made of an inner slide, an outer slide, and a ferrule.
Some have the dump slide like Bach, so there is an outer slide, inner slide, a lower sleeve, and then the dump slide which is 2 inner slides, 2 ferrules and a crook.
Some different designs can be seen on Bach, Schilke, Getzen and vintage horns with no tuning on the 3rd. Each has their own way of doing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: