• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Burbank Kanstul Michael Thomas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Burbank Kanstul Michael Thomas Reply with quote

I've been playing a Burbank Kanstul Michael Thomas lately. Wow, it has a great sound and plays great. I have a Burbank Benge (first owner in 1969) and an LA from the 10,000 range and I like playing the Burbank/Thomas most. They are all great to play. The Burbank/Thomas certainly has that "Benge bounce". Gosh, it is lively indeed. The Benge sound is certainly different that the Bach sound, more lively, more alive (not to say that the Bach sound is not good. I like that, too, just different). Well built, great valves that are really tight. I'd be happy if this was the only trumpet I had (although I have many). These Burbanks are great trumpets. I am glad, for one, that Kanstul and Michael Thomas are still making these great and unique trumpets with a lot of personality. Who else has played them? Post your thoughts.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Burbank and Michael Thomas Reply with quote

Michael Thomas has been keeping the Benge tradition going with the Burbank model. Made to strict standards by Kanstul it is perhaps better overall than the original. Michael is himself a fine player and does very little advertising with these trumpets. They are kind of a well kept secret amongst players who might run across them at the ITG's Micheal attends. Do yourself a favor in San Antonio this May and give the Burbank a try.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Burbank Kanstul Michael Thomas Reply with quote

so what wrote:
I've been playing a Burbank Kanstul Michael Thomas lately. Wow, it has a great sound and plays great. I have a Burbank Benge (first owner in 1969) and an LA from the 10,000 range and I like playing the Burbank/Thomas most. They are all great to play. The Burbank/Thomas certainly has that "Benge bounce". Gosh, it is lively indeed. The Benge sound is certainly different that the Bach sound, more lively, more alive (not to say that the Bach sound is not good. I like that, too, just different). Well built, great valves that are really tight. I'd be happy if this was the only trumpet I had (although I have many). These Burbanks are great trumpets. I am glad, for one, that Kanstul and Michael Thomas are still making these great and unique trumpets with a lot of personality. Who else has played them? Post your thoughts.

Which model are you playing? One of my Skype students in Germany ordered a Burbank 6XCG model and loves it. And he sounds great on it - nice and bright. I think it's the one of the best commercial style trumpets available today new.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Burbank Kanstul Michael Thomas Reply with quote

Hi John,
This is a 3x, as is my Burbank Benge and the LA in the 10,000 range.
They all play well, sharing a lot of characteristics, but each has its own personality.
The Michael Thomas one is just so lively that it is the most fun to play.

I do have some other Benges around, but haven't played them in a while, including a large bore that originally came from Fred Radke in the Harry James band. It is said to be the last trumpet completed before Elden Benge died in the car accident. Also, I am told that Harry James himself actually played this Benge a couple times. Now that is something for channeling the vibes of the trumpet universe!
-Mark Walberg
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Thomas makes them for or with Kanstul? Anybody have a link for this guy?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
So Thomas makes them for or with Kanstul? Anybody have a link for this guy?

Tony Scodwell wrote:
Made to strict standards by Kanstul...
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://Www.Burbanktrumpets.com

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horns are made by Kanstul using the original Burbank Benge mandrills.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know why they're not more aggressively marketed?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

Mike does this all by himself.

He’s also the “Thomas” of “Roche-Thomas” oils, although he is not actively involved with that company any longer.

shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the 6X-CG

For the 3x+

Michael was very kind to loan me these instruments, which included his own Benge 3X+

Just as clarification, according to the story of how the Burbank brand began, they do not use the Burbank Benge bell mandrels, but what are thought to be the Chicago Benge mandrels.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

As always, marketing takes money. Having money requires sales. Sales requires marketing. It's a difficult cycle to break. That's why I like to help when I can.

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
Just as clarification, according to the story of how the Burbank brand began, they do not use the Burbank Benge bell mandrels, but what are thought to be the Chicago Benge mandrels.

Gonna disagree on this. The Burbank horns use the Burbank mandrills. The Kanstul Chicago line of trumpets use the Chicago mandrills. (it's kinda like why they're called "Burbank" & "Chicago.")

Say what you will but I've been associated with both Burbank and Kanstul horns for 30 years now. The information I have comes both directly from Mike & Zig, who I've both known and worked closely with for...gee...30 years.

oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Burbank Trumpet has been designed with a straight through valve cluster"

What does that mean? I don't see any photos that might explain it.

Thanks
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
shofarguy wrote:

Gonna disagree on this. The Burbank horns use the Burbank mandrills. The Kanstul Chicago line of trumpets use the Chicago mandrills. (it's kinda like why they're called "Burbank" & "Chicago.")

Say what you will but I've been associated with both Burbank and Kanstul horns for 30 years now. The information I have comes both directly from Mike & Zig, who I've both known and worked closely with for...gee...30 years.

Tim,

You were certainly closer to the beginning than I was. I am aware that some "Official" stories are somewhat adjusted or even manufactured, so I tried to uncover any elements to the story that might have remained "hidden.". I checked and cross checked what I wrote. Michael, Jack Kanstul and Flip Oakes all tell the same story of the Chicago mandrels being used to start the Burbank line. Jack revealed the story of the "Bengee" trumpet that was used to produce the tooling for the Kanstul Chicago 1000 and 1001. I do not know any other information from any other source (except your own account, which I'm not contesting) that ever claimed anything different, so I wrote what I wrote.

Unfortunately, I didn't ask Zig about the Burbank history when I lived in SoCal.

shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
"The Burbank Trumpet has been designed with a straight through valve cluster"

What does that mean? I don't see any photos that might explain it.

Thanks

What I know to be the "straight-through" valve cluster is the one used on the 1525 flugelhorn. If you look at a photo of the left side of that block, you can see the transfer ports all fall in a single line, not the usual up-and-down alternating pattern of normal clusters.

The Besson/Benge/Burbank (and Schilke, too) style valve blocks have transfer ports that are made of straight tubes, rather than the curved tubes of Bach, Getzen, Kanstul Signature valves, etc., but still alternate up-and-down from valve to valve. I'm not aware of these being called straight-through valves, myself

homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1929 straight through Couesnon flugel. they are straight and straight through
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
shofarguy wrote:

This certainly makes sense. Unless the Chicago and Burbank mandrels are almost the same, it should be easy to sort this out. I've got a Burbank and a LA 3x here as well as a Burbank/Kanstul/Thomas 3x. I don't have a Chicago Benge. I've not measured bell tapers before, but doing so should answer this. Any suggestions for how to measure the bell taper here at home?
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what wrote:
trpthrld wrote:
shofarguy wrote:

This certainly makes sense. Unless the Chicago and Burbank mandrels are almost the same, it should be easy to sort this out. I've got a Burbank and a LA 3x here as well as a Burbank/Kanstul/Thomas 3x. I don't have a Chicago Benge. I've not measured bell tapers before, but doing so should answer this. Any suggestions for how to measure the bell taper here at home?

I'm pretty certain Kanstul has all of these mapped out in their library of bell contours.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: