• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New to the Forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig S

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: New to the Forum Reply with quote

Hi, all! I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm new to the forum, but I've already learned a bit from lurking on here, which is what enticed me to join. I'm just starting to play again after an 18 year hiatus. I played bass through middle school, then trumpet, mellophone, and french horn in high school. Some friends are learning to play some string instruments. Watching them work through pieces made me realize how much I miss playing myself. So, I dusted off my horn--literally dusted the case, but the horn was safe! --and, wow, my chops are nonexistent! It's going to be a long road, but it'll be fun! I'll be starting lessons next Saturday. I can't wait! After reading some of the threads on here, I'm glad that my horn (a Getzen Capri 590 from '77ish) seems to be in good shape after all these years!
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. A Getzen Capri is a very nice horn in my judgement.

I started my comeback a couple of years ago. In high school I was considered a pretty good player. I guess standards were very low. I began lessons with Jeff Purtle and was quickly humbled. So far, this is what I have learned:

Some people can learn to play the trumpet by themselves. I personally am a very good self instructor in many things. Apparently, the trumpet is not one of them. On my own I was getting back to the level of ability that I had in high school. That was not really very satisfactory.

I started taking lessons from Jeff in January and am very happy with my improvement in tonguing, articulation, flexibility and tone. There simply is nothing better than taking lessons from a qualified instructor if you really want to learn to play better than you did in high school.

Find somebody with whom to practice and perform, a community band or whatever.

Forget about equipment, especially mouthpieces, for at least two years unless your instructor makes a recommendation. Believe me, it ain't the mouthpiece.

Enjoy the ride.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Craig S

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I love my horn. I always did. My parents bought it used for me my freshman year, and NO ONE had one like it! Everyone else had student Bachs or Yamahas. Not one Getzen. From the searching I've been doing, the ~$250 they paid for it was a steal back then!

I'm usually pretty good at learning things on my own, too. Given enough time, I can teach myself most objective (there's a right and wrong) skills, but learning a wind instrument is a different beast altogether! I'm sure I didn't have great skills or habits back in hs, and I don't want to fall back into those bad habits now that I'm starting back up.

To try to build my chops back up, I've been doing bouts of 20-30 mins of scales, long tones, and lip slurs. I can already tell a difference after the last few days. It has been very encouraging!
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TH! Best wishes in your comeback efforts.

Jim
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! And as someone who took an extended layoff years ago, I can tell you it comes back, with practice of course!

Brad
Craig S

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the well wishes and support! Everyone on here has been great, thus far!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: