• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Are we satisfied with our mouthpieces (Mouthpiece Safari?)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Are we satisfied with our mouthpieces (Mouthpiece Safari?) Reply with quote

Curiosity question of the day: With all the thousands upon thousands of types of mouthpieces currently offered, are we trumpeters satisfied with what we have, or is there some mysterious force that makes us search for that magical mouthpiece?

For me personally, maybe I have a screw loose (or a few screws! ) But I hear a "sound" in my head of a beautiful, singing trumpet, that you could play in church. The mouthpiece gives a full clear tone, not "peel the paint off the wall" brittle and bright, but smooth and yet easily enables high register up on top of the staff to the high C and high D.

My main mouthpiece (Curry 3M.) does that when paired with my prized '67 Holton Collegiate, but then again, I have this crazy idea of still trying to find that special mouthpiece, regardless of my Curry 3M.

Am I going nuts or what?
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-find a good, comfortable mouthpiece
-work with it

The sound comes from you, not the mouthpiece.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhhhhhhh ... Grasshoppa, you don’t know if you like Apple Pie or Chocolate Cake best until you have tried both.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Butch,
Try a Schilke B5 with a Schilke 14, or a Bach 37 with a Bach 3C, and give it some time and diligent/intelligent practice, and "safari over".
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Are we satisfied with our mouthpieces (Mouthpiece Safari Reply with quote

While I am always trying to improve my technique and ability to just play the horn and make music, I am also open to anything that makes it easier. I figure, why work harder than I have to to get the sound I want?

So in the last 18 months I have purchased more mouthpieces than in the last 20 years. Some of them were duds. Some of them were pretty neutral. A few of them produced startling inprovements.

So, I'm not searching for the one magic bullet, but I am open to better tools.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a lengthy Safari (years..) I have found comfort and consistency with my current mouthpieces, Curry #3 rims, various cups/throats that match various instruments. (Bb, C, Commercial, Cornet, Flugel, Picc)

Though, I'm sure, results are more related to time in the shed, age, and routine, the mouthpiece gets the glory.. and now probably a measure of confidence involved-I have trust in my gear, so it works better, I relax and play better.

Being on the lookout for a better tool is in our nature.. Then, things change-I'm not the same player I was 25 years ago-I'm not as fond of that equipment and I doubt the equipment I have now would have worked as well back then.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
After a lengthy Safari (years..) I have found comfort and consistency with my current mouthpieces, Curry #3 rims, various cups/throats that match various instruments. (Bb, C, Commercial, Cornet, Flugel, Picc)

Though, I'm sure, results are more related to time in the shed, age, and routine, the mouthpiece gets the glory.. and now probably a measure of confidence involved-I have trust in my gear, so it works better, I relax and play better.

Being on the lookout for a better tool is in our nature.. Then, things change-I'm not the same player I was 25 years ago-I'm not as fond of that equipment and I doubt the equipment I have now would have worked as well back then.

+1. I’m happy with what I have, but always looking....
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently went through another mouthpiece safari.

I think I now found what works best for me.

My main priorities during the search where: free blowing, full sound, fast responding, comfortable (to mention a few)

I now found a few mouthpieces that make the music FLOW when I play.

SO now I tell myself. NO MORE MOUTHPIECE BUYING Just selling
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it’s when I’m frustrated with my playing. “Must be the mouthpiece” is what I think. Right now I want an nice new Monette...(By the way it’s my birthday so if anyone wants to donate one that’d be great thanks )
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the OP is going nuts. We all go nuts. We are all always wondering what if and can it do better. So we all go on unnecessary safari trips and end up with beaucoup mouthpieces for sale in the marketplace.

A moderate safari is necessary. But after the universe is whittled down to a few or even a dozen possibilities, the player must start really focusing on his playing and not the mouthpiece, then pick one and stick with it, and maybe a second if the player plays in a contrasting ensemble.

I have posted about my safari elsewhere. At this point, not only am I satisfied, but you couldn't give me enough mouthpieces to make me change.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Russell Dixon posted:

Ahhhhhhhhhh ... Grasshoppa, you don’t know if you like Apple Pie or Chocolate Cake best until you have tried both.

First, I laughed. Then I cried. This truism is the bane of my existence.

I have finally decided that I am sticking with Curry 3 rims. I am limiting my endless searches to variations on depth, cup shape and backbore.

Still... is there some magic about smaller diameters?

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.

Last edited by Grits Burgh on Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Are we satisfied with our mouthpieces (Mouthpiece Safari Reply with quote

ButchA wrote:
Curiosity question of the day: With all the thousands upon thousands of types of mouthpieces currently offered, are we trumpeters satisfied with what we have, or is there some mysterious force that makes us search for that magical mouthpiece?

For me personally, maybe I have a screw loose (or a few screws! ) But I hear a "sound" in my head of a beautiful, singing trumpet, that you could play in church. The mouthpiece gives a full clear tone, not "peel the paint off the wall" brittle and bright, but smooth and yet easily enables high register up on top of the staff to the high C and high D.

My main mouthpiece (Curry 3M.) does that when paired with my prized '67 Holton Collegiate, but then again, I have this crazy idea of still trying to find that special mouthpiece, regardless of my Curry 3M.

Am I going nuts or what?

My safari should have ended much earlier if I hadn´t been so stubborn not to take lessons. When I finally did I rather (well..)quickly found out what was good for my lips. BE-method honed that ability even more.
The idea that a magical mouthpiece should solve it all, well, nutcracking comes to mind. But hearing "a "sound" in my head of a beautiful, singing trumpet, that you could play in church"? In my line of business hearing sounds in your head might be a sign of, well some nuttyness. But hearing the sound of a singing trumpet should more be considered a creative imagination worthy of realizing. Me, I often play in churches so that divine singing quality oh yes....! And I´m not the religious type.
Anyhow, I found my cornet mpc, and just switched from the shallow Stork SM VMS6 to the somewhat deeper VM6 et voilà - there it was.
Too shallow no singing, more of a peeler; as deep as you can have it still making high register easy. That´s the one! Nice round rim!
So by the help of a Stork my playing is new-born! I found the mpc:s that helped me express my personal sound in the best way (=good enough).
Dreaming of that sound sure helped - you gotta have an idea of that sound - the right mouthpiece gives you the feedback you want to hear.
Your question: nope you are not a nutcase!
On the other hand- sitting all day long in front of scores filled with mysterious signs, syncopes and intervalls, blowing air into a contraption consisting of skillfully bent pipes.....Well
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:20 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a dichotomy. Most of what we hope to find is something that will supersede our abilities. Looking for something that will enhance the limited skill that we have, when the ultimate source is within.

I'm not sure we completely appreciate what we already have or, perhaps, do find something that works better than what we have, without a comparison. But while some perspective is constructive, to go on an endless holy grail search shifts the emphasis to without instead of within.

So my response is to try some others but don't obsess over it. Get on with the primary focus, concentrating on good, solid fundamentals and enhanced skills and perspective when ready.

In other words, gaze at the moon, not the finger pointing at the moon.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
There's a dichotomy. Most of what we hope to find is something that will supersede our abilities. Looking for something that will enhance the limited skill that we have, when the ultimate source is within.

Building on this reply, maybe the title for this thread should be ... "Are we dis-satisfied with our playing, and blaming it our mouthpieces?" (Just joking)

Nothing wrong with trying to find the right mouthpiece. I've done my share of looking, too. But for the past 45 years, I've played primarily on 2 mouthpieces -- a Bach 6C for the fist 35 years, and a Bach 3C for the past 10 years.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I find it fun. There's so much variety and different aspects to tinker with. I like that we can be more exacting and specific with what we purchase and what kind of sound we want to get out of it.

It's almost like a game of balancing advantages and disadvantages, seeing what is beneficial and what isn't, all while always striving for better. There's so much to dive into.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm another one who is happy with their mouthpiece(s) which are all based on the same rim, mostly the same cup, etc.

Searching for your mouthpiece is usually a flawed process: most want one which will do something FOR them. In reality, I think it is much ore a case of finding a mouthpiece which allows you to play as best you can. In other words, a mouthpiece which doesn't limit you. I have had lots of those!

It's now 12 + years on essentially the same mouthpiece setup. Couldn't be happier!

cheers

Andy
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since switching from basically a Bach 1.5c to Curry Precision 00 size i have not looked back. All my pieces are 00 size, TF,TC,BC,M,S,00 30 drill, etc ...
they are all great and i've been on them now for a few years. the rim just works for me, the id works for me, so it's all good !!

regards,

tom
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning, and thank you...

I am always curious about mouthpieces and that special one that seems to say, "Buy me! Buy me!"

For my beloved old '67 Holton Collegiate I only have 3 mouthpieces (well, 2 that I actually DO play):
Curry 3M. --- I love this MP and the range and ease of dynamics with it. High C, low C, soft, loud, it does it all!
Bach 3C --- I've had this MP for years and still love it. It was #1 until I discovered Curry, and now it's a backup.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Faxx 5C --- Ehhhh... Don't know what I was thinking. I saw this at Sam Ash for, I think, $21 bucks. I said to myself, "Really? A MP for that cheap? I don't have a 5C so, let me see..." and I picked it up. It works with my Holton Collegiate and has a somewhat darker mellow tone, but I just don't care for the feel of it and/or the bite of the rim. Lesson learned...

Here's an example of my tone with the Curry 3M. I made another video of me playing along to "Here's That Rainy Day", where I am playing the actual trumpet chart that I printed out (Thank you GeorgeB for sending it to me!). You can hear where I play at mf down to mp, and when the trumpets take the lead melody, it goes back to mf with a crescendo. Also, don't poke fun at me for my ridiculous looking glasses... I have a dedicated pair of reading glasses just for sheet music, so I can see the chart from a few feet away, versus my normal pairs of reading glasses, scattered all over the house!

Edit: You'll notice that I actually come in 4 bars too late. That's because the MP3 backing track starts off immediately - and I don't have time to get back to the music stand from my guitar amp and smartphone (over to the side of the room, off camera).

Link

RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After trying many different mouthpieces through the last 46 years, I am very satisfied with my Marcinkiewicz Claude Gordon mouthpieces (#22 & #20 drills) and my Lynn Nicholson Monette Prana mouthpiece for range. I own many mouthpieces in the 10.5C diameter as well as many with the basic small diameter V Cup configuration.

The 10.5C diameter works best for my chops and is what I should have started on many years ago.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece

Last edited by RussellDDixon on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day, I used to switch mouthpieces all the time - I must have tried about 50 or 60. I was always looking for the one that would help me play better, louder, and last through tough gigs.

I finally got good at the trumpet when I just picked one (Curry 3C.) and threw all the rest in a drawer and never looked at them again. I just practiced the heck out of that piece and learned to actually play my instrument.

Best decision I ever made! I play that size rim on all my horns now and I hereby promise the lot of you that I'll never mess with another mouthpiece again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: