• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Philadelphia Brass Ensemble Christmas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DWallace
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Philadelphia Brass Ensemble Christmas Reply with quote

This album was released in the mid 60's and is one of favorites. Does anyone on here know if any of the arrangements are in print and can be purchased. I know it is not near December yet but would love to put together an ensemble to play at church later this year and any of these arrangements would be a great addition.
York Super Custom Cornet
Yamaha YTR-6445HS C Trumpet
Zeus Flugelhorn
Yamaha YTR 2320
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one that I have ever seen is Andrew Kazdin's 12 Days of Christmas.

Robert King still lists it

https://robertkingmusic.com/andrew-kazdin-12-days-of-christmas-sextet-brass.html

-Denny
Jay Lichtmann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I transcribed two choral arrangements of Xmas tunes for brass 8tet (2,2,3,1). Both are arrangements for the Swingle Singers; The 12 Days of Christmas arranged by Jonathan Rathbone and Jingle Bells arranged by Ben Parry.

I have posted the PDFs and audio files on my site, there is an audio file of the MIDI realization and the original recording by the swingle singers.

12 Days Score-Parts https://goo.gl/wnydJB
12 Days 8tet mp3: https://goo.gl/gFd8U9
12 Days Swingle mp3 https://goo.gl/2LiaoX

Jingle Bells Score-Parts https://goo.gl/AefEbH
Jingle Bells 8tet https://goo.gl/G9JyNP
Jingle Bells Swingle mp3 https://goo.gl/GddKFx

While I do like the Andrew Kazden arrangement of The 12 Days of Xmas, I think this Jonathan Rathbone arrangement is really spectacular and a fun "showcase" for the group if done with the suggestions for standing.

I have read through the arrangements but have never performed them.

Please let me know if you do and how your experience was with them.
THE BD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been interested in finding several of these in the past as well with no success. I have since written a few versions of my own for brass ensemble and performed them for the last few Christmas seasons!

If any of the Philly arrangements do become available I would be interested in learning more!

Yeah, I did that!
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Philadelphia Brass Ensemble Reply with quote

I too am a huge fan of this album. I listen to it at least three times every holiday season. Over the years I have done a quick/poor job of transcribing some of them. One thing to keep in mind is that the PBE had 6 members (additional euphonium in addition to the standard quintet). I've often had trouble picking out which low voice is playing what but for the most part the harmonies are standard. There is the occasional horn descant. I think if someone were to undertake this detailed transcription process they could make a few bucks. The one drawback is most folks are not going to gig with a sextet....though perhaps a flexible/optional instrumentation could be arranged.
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, that album is as iconic as Bing Crosby singing "White Christmas." Its great.

When I just searched on google to see if there were any arrangements, I came across an earlier post from tubbs831 on this website, dated 12/28/12, on the same subject:

"It's a great CD and probably my favorite brass Christmas album.

I posted about this awhile back. Most of the arrangements are taken from the 4-part settings done by Mary Rasmussen, published by Robert King. However a lot of them have an added horn part (descant/harmony), composed by someone else. Also the ensemble consisted of 6 players, an added euphonium, so the bass is doubled at the octave at times.

The 12 Days of Christmas arrangement was by Andrew Kazdin and is published by Robert King Music.

If you ever do come across any form of transcriptions from the album please let me know!"

Maybe tubbs831 can tell us whether he thinks the Rasmussen settings he mentions are still a good place to start.
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat wrote:

When I just searched on google to see if there were any arrangements, I came across an earlier post from tubbs831 on this website, dated 12/28/12, on the same subject: ...

I posted about this awhile back. Most of the arrangements are taken from the 4-part settings done by Mary Rasmussen, published by Robert King.

Maybe tubbs831 can tell us whether he thinks the Rasmussen settings he mentions are still a good place to start.

tubbs831 was mistaken, I believe.

The Rasmussen Christmas set from Robert King with which I am familiar is the simplest of the simple, 4-part, Christmas tunes, which are suitable to accompany group singing. Music for Brass No. 132

-Denny
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denny Schreffler wrote:
Pat wrote:

When I just searched on google to see if there were any arrangements, I came across an earlier post from tubbs831 on this website, dated 12/28/12, on the same subject: ...

I posted about this awhile back. Most of the arrangements are taken from the 4-part settings done by Mary Rasmussen, published by Robert King.

tubbs831 was mistaken, I believe.

The Rasmussen Christmas set from Robert King with which I am familiar is the simplest of the simple, 4-part, Christmas tunes, which are suitable to accompany group singing. Music for Brass No. 132

-Denny

The Rasmussen set is a good place to start, though none of the versions in that collection are exactly as the PBE played them. Also all of the tunes from the album are not present in the collection.
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tubbs, thanks for the suggestion.

--BTW, I just listened to some of that album (Christmas in April?) and I think its a testament to the playing of Gilbert Johnson who is sometimes under-appreciated on this board. His lyricism in carols like Lo How the Rose is Blooming and Bring a Torch Jeanette Isabella is second to none. --In fact my two favorite renditions of the octave leap and gruppetto at the end O Holy Night are one by Pavarotti and the one here by Johnson where his beautiful high G floats on top and is, as the lyric suggests, divine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: