• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Donald E Getzen Signature Flugelhorn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Beck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Donald E Getzen Signature Flugelhorn Reply with quote

I just bought a silver plated Donald E Getzen Signature Flugelhorn #173987. It has top-sprung valves with horizontal valve slides and plays well.

Can anyone help me with its history: when/where it was made, etc.?
Many thanks!
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell posts here regularly. He was the designer of these instruments and is a wealth of knowledge.
The Beck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Getzen flugelhorn Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll watch out for his posts 🎶[/list]
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Donald E Getzen flugel Reply with quote

This flugelhorn was made prior to my involvement with DEG. Don Getzen had these horns made by Blessing and some later "Donald E Getzen" signature models were made by the Swiss company Wiilson which used bottom sprung valves made by Bauerfeind which Wiilson owned at that time. The horns I designed were called "Signature 2000" and two models of trumpets called the "New York" and the "LA" along with the flugelhorn which introduced the tuning lower branch design and the three and four valve piccolos which no less than William Vacchiano asked to endorse. The Bb and Eb cornets were in the line-up along with C and Eb trumpets. The "Signature 2000" instruments were all made in the Allied factory which was owned by Don's brother Bob. Allied also produced the entire line of marching instruments labeled "Dynasty". Allied is now called Allied Supply and is a major source of parts for repair technicians and the original Getzen family is producing fine instruments in the same location along with their line of Edwards trumpets and trombones. Don died earlier this year and his old company DEG currently makes marching instruments in their own factory but no longer makes brass instruments.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
The Beck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Getzen flugelhorn Reply with quote

Thanks so much, Tony -- much appreciated! I'm so glad to be able to join this conversation with good folks with your depth of experience. Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: