• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How much conscious thought in your mp placement and setup?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:25 am    Post subject: How much conscious thought in your mp placement and setup? Reply with quote

Do you just sort of put it up, get a general feel of being "in the slot/pocket" and go or are you highly conscious of whatever manipulations you need to get the mp to seat, lip alignment with the teeth, teeth opening, horn angle, pressure, muscular tension around your embouchure etc.?

Do you have a particular series of steps you consciously go through?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero steps or manipulations for me. I would think this is the case for most players, unless they are going through an embouchure change. Could be wrong though.
Wick 2BFL
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, it depends. Warming up, I think one needs to be conscious of setting up to the best possible sound and response. Thinking is critical here.

BUT, manipulating? My take is to develop the most natural setup you can. I need to push my jaw forward a little, but that's it.

Once you are up and running, well, think a little for sure, but in a performance, I am concentrating on the music, not my chops, which I trust I had setup to work as well as they can. If I am practicing, then it's a slightly different mindset - checking on what I am doing.

Hope that helps.

cheers

Andy
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the lips and away I go, though on the rare occasion I do make a slight correction.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: How much conscious thought in your mp placement and setu Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
Do you just sort of put it up, get a general feel of being "in the slot/pocket" and go or are you highly conscious of whatever manipulations you need to get the mp to seat, lip alignment with the teeth, teeth opening, horn angle, pressure, muscular tension around your embouchure etc.?

Do you have a particular series of steps you consciously go through?

Lately I´ve become aware that a bit more top lip (=mpc a tiny bit higher) gives me much better control, better sound, better high register etc so presently I do consider the placement. Probably this will turn into an unconsciously performed routine. Same thing goes for tongue movement - position related to playing in the high register.
Since I began with the BE I´ve become much more aware of the state of my embouchure.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I “just sort of put it up”, the only other thing I’m aware of is if I’m using my Olds Recording, I am aware that I might whack myself in the chops because of the “balanced” (valve block closer to the the bell) construction. I actually thought that could be a problem, for me it really hasn’t been.

But I cannot imagine going through this checklist consciously (“.... lip alignment with the teeth, teeth opening, horn angle, pressure, muscular tension around your embouchure etc.? “) every time I play, and I certainly would not tell a student to think about that.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blow the embouchure into place.
Jazzalive
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually a good question. I find that if I'm doing Colin exercises, mp placement has an effect on my ability to slide through the harmonics. It's a thin line between being able to slide from one partial to the next or to get "locked" into place. Normally when "stuck" I pull the mp off the chops and start again.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
Blow the embouchure into place.

YES !!

Doesn't take much on my part to agree with this gentleman, since i start each day blowing the lead pipe ala Mr Bill Adam.
When playing everyday, the lips are right where they need to be, i get a nice resonant buzz on the pipe, but i have literally gone a week or more without touching the horn and within 5 or 6 tries on the lead pipe the lips find their way back to where they need to be. Thank you Mr Bill Adam for making this so much easier than it ever was.

regards,

tom
kidtwist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last couple of years, I've become more conscious of NOT manipulating my chops, at least not after I put the mouthpiece up.

I set my chops in an "M" formation, make sure corners are "set" and just play!!

WCU '03

Selmer K-Mod-24B-LT
King Silver Flair - 1960s Vintage
Carolbrass CTR-4440L-YST-Bb-S
Carolbrass CTR-4000H-YSS-C
Kanstul 1523
Yamaha 631 Flugel
Bach 3C, 10C, & Warburton 5 Mouthpieces
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I warm up using a Bill Adam set of long tones that allows me to find my “ sweet spot” and dial it in. . When playing on a larger mouthpiece, I find that I can move my chops around a lot with the same results because there is so much room.

Not so with a shallower piece.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My general approach is to try to be conscience of every detail in my "warm-up" "daily routine".. at the beginning I'm trying to check everything-making sure I'm not slipping into bad habits or losing my place. Which includes mouthpiece placement, posture, hand position, etc... then as I move into practice or into performing, the concentration moves onto other things.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
kxk558

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually just try and make sure I'm not playing on the "red" of the lip. Making sure the lip is vibrating freely and can respond at any dynamic and range. Some days I spend more time on the "physical" aspect of my playing depending on how I feel but usually just in my fundamentals routine. Sometimes physical difficulties could be fix with musical decision and vica versa.
Coolcol123

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently made a mouthpiece placement / embouchure change, so I'm very conscious of it... placing it naturally is what led me to a very one-sided set-up... I use a mirror and also lots of recording on my iphone... not an issue for everyone I'm sure
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the horn up and play, and I don't think about it. I don't know if that's good or bad, but that's my approach, and what I've been doing for most of the 36 years I've been on the horn.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
I put the horn up and play, and I don't think about it. I don't know if that's good or bad, but that's my approach, and what I've been doing for most of the 36 years I've been on the horn.

Same here.
My slightly receding jaw and V-shaped two front teeth sort of make my mpc settle into what's most comfortable. I have lately been bringing my jaw a little more forward to compensate but basically, it just settles where it will.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make playing become as second nature as possible the mechanics should be something that happens not something we think about. It is the feeling of norman/correct that should occur. This feeling should become second nature like closing your eyes and touching your ears or nose. If we are bound by ritual or arduous process our playing will be less natural.

Best, Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use a small series of steps to get the mouthpiece into position, first of which is jaw comes slightly forward, then getting to the lips grabbing or contacting the mouthpiece. same routine of conscious adjustments each time to achieve the same feel and position.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as much as there was 40 years ago. After a while, it's pretty much automatic - you know what works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: