• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getting Range Back

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jules_831

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Getting Range Back Reply with quote

What's the best way to get your range back after taking a long period of time off the trumpet. I'm really struggling and don't want to pick up any bad habits again :/
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting Range Back Reply with quote

jules_831 wrote:
What's the best way to get your range back after taking a long period of time off the trumpet. I'm really struggling and don't want to pick up any bad habits again :/

Patience. Set reasonable goals. Your main enemy is overtrained chops. Perseverance and patience will win over excessive demands and undue arm pressure.

Join two groups that meet once weekly. Settle for whatever part they give you and learn your parts well. Your range will come back soon.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what kind of range you had previously but ideally you want to do even better. Practice a lot, be conscious of the mechanics of what you're doing to go higher - and lower.

Also don't fixate on range to exclusion of good sound, clean articulation, intonation etc.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I. Kinda feel the need to explain my concern about overtrained chops. In the early 1990's I had been out of professional playing over a dozen years. Trying to raise a family. But there was no way I had quit the trumpet. It was always just a temporary hiatus.

But as I started my comeback I would have weeks when nothing worked. Because I had tried too hard and too quickly to make it back. I remember a couple of days after pushing too hard I couldn't get a tone out of the horn! Not just a musical sound but literally any tone at all. Overtraining being my major nemisis

It wasnt until another ten years later that I got on the right track. Using patient development and common sense. Today I almost never have to deal with a significant level of overtrained chops. Part of this is very experienced chops. That and equipment selection. However much if it is that I wont allow my training to become excessive. Slow and steady wins the race.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there it is:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=104239&s=Schilke-P5-4

Yep, just another time waster who actually seems to think that anyone around here would ever buy anything from someone who joins, makes five disingenuous posts, and thinks he'll then be considered trustworthy enough to send money to.

As of now, 21 posts have been made on the five different threads this guy started by good folks sincerely trying to help him.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
And there it is:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=104239&s=Schilke-P5-4

Yep, just another time waster who actually seems to think that anyone around here would ever buy anything from someone who joins, makes five disingenuous posts, and thinks he'll then be considered trustworthy enough to send money to.

As of now, 21 posts have been made on the five different threads this guy started by good folks sincerely trying to help him.

But shipping is included....
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
And there it is:

But shipping is included....

Even funnier is the fact that he even had audacity to make a post requesting suggestions for good piccolo music in one of his five posts he made just to try to sell the thing.
digis10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost range and haven't been able to get it back. used to be able to play E above the staff and now high C is my max range. I think I old range may have been "faked" with lots of pressure but I'm unsure.
CMCZOWNDM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Claude Gordon method to help get quite a few notes back. The only problem with the method for me was the amount of time it takes. I even bought a pocket trumpet to carry around with me during the day so I could squeeze in some time at lunch or before work. If you have time during the day (like when I actually used to get paid to practice) IMHO, I think its awesome.
Wiseman Pocket Trumpet
1960's Elkhart Cornet
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
And there it is:

I think from now on I will just ignore questions posted by one of these guys until they have been here awhile. It’s a shame that some sincere new members might end up being ignored, but answering these” five posters” questions is more often than not a waste of time.

Brad
Coolcol123

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree patience is the main thing... I recently had my wisdom teeth out and had to take a long break
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: