• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I'm no proffesional but I did stay at a Holiday Inn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: I'm no proffesional but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Reply with quote

Read a signature block and it just made me laugh. I thought I would highlight it. "I'm no professional trumpet player, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn!". I think many of us can relate to this. Way of life.

One routine we would often do is go into a motel lounge after a gig to catch whatever band might be doing the honors that night. One thing we all waited for, and it often came, was the bridge to Girl from Ipenema. Separated the men from the boys.

Any other loumge rituals from the resident road rats?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that bridge caught me off guard once....ONCE!

Nothing like a public screw up to encourage you to learn the damn thing.

Brad
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: I'm no proffesional but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Read a signature block and it just made me laugh. I thought I would highlight it. "I'm no professional trumpet player, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn!". I think many of us can relate to this. Way of life.

One routine we would often do is go into a motel lounge after a gig to catch whatever band might be doing the honors that night. One thing we all waited for, and it often came, was the bridge to Girl from Ipenema. Separated the men from the boys.

Any other lounge rituals from the resident road rats?

Back in the day (a term I use at the start of maybe half my conversations these days) we played far more Ramada Inns than Holiday Inns. So if that is acceptable experience Mr Kehaulani? Well I hope so. Please advise.

And Ramada was a good club back then. Ramada Inn East Boston, the one in Woburn to the north. Then various others scattered around the USA. Jefferson City has one. It's actually the capitol of Missouri (that and where I first heard and performed Chuck's "Feel So Good"). Not St Louis mind you. And at least in 1978?

Ramada Inn of Jeff City was the only joint in a hundred miles where you could order a drink in a bar while listening to live music. Politicians roamed in and out of our club often. The stories I could tell my friends!! (: (: As it being in the State Capitol lotsa deals both shady and respectable got dealt there over wine and song. The club's mere name had government overtones. Was called,

"The Judge's Chambers". Lol. I used to see some swingin legislators there. Some with finer looking girlfriends than we youn
g men in the band.

But I had to sit out on Impanema. It really is a saxophone tune anyway. We had a chick tenor sax player who also arranged our charts. But she insisted I blow "Blue Bossa". Which I did but on trombone. Was making the transition from valves to slide "back in the day". Well that day anyway. Saving my chops for "Autumn Leaves" on trumpet but back to my slide on "Misty". Which reminded me of Good Ol Clint's ancient movie "Play Misty For Me".

As I had kind of a stalker type woman who seized me in a Ramada Inn one week. Same week where a thief broke into the Ramada Inn somewhere also in Massachusetts and stole our equipment. Which put us out of work. Suppose that's another story but the tale does have a happy ending. As a most perceptive State Trooper found the culprit, a parole violator and welll known local hoodlum. This saint of a police officer then demanded a written confession from the bandit. Which was most important. For us anyway. Why? Because when your goods get stolen?

Law enforcement is often obliged to hold everything stolen for "evidence". But this does you no good at all! Not if ypu're supposed to he in Kentucky during the bastard's trial.

Two cheers for Ramada. But?

Three cheers for that clever cop!!!

Hope this was the story Kehaulani wanted. Oh heck. It's too late now. Oh goodness I totally forgot to finish the tale about "Misty".

Normally I didn't mind her attention. However when she and I fiirst met I was unattached. She, a very fiorward and almost aggressively romantic type pretty much insisted that we got out together after the gig and all my days off.

I always liked aggressive nurses. No need for clumsy pick up lines and oftentimes they buy the beer!! Practically "shootin fish in a barrel"
guys! Lol... However a year and a half later I was married to my firat wife and kinda dreaded the idea of going back to that same Ramada in Central Mass. Fortunately we only played that club once more. And even more fortunate "Misty" never showed up. Thank God! As my wife was very jealous.

Unfortinately Misty did show up at the Ramada Inn East Boston. The one kinda near Logan Int Airport.

"Who's SHE"?

But to my good fiortune Misty was not nearly so crazy as that freak show in good ol Clint's film. She even prepared a cover story of how we met and that "all Lionel ever said to me was how wonderful his new bride was"...

Yep, you sure dodged a bullet that week Lionel. Speaking of Dodge? That was the last name of a real stalker I couldn't get rid of out in Salt Lake City. She brought nearly a literal meaning to the expression "Get the Hell out of Dodge".

A statement we always made the last night of a week long gig.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I almost never played the motel lounge circuit vs. lodging there. But one time I stayed at the Holiday Inn, Luxembourg City, the same day/night that Joe Cocker's Band stayed there. We played a T.V./radio show while they played a civic auditorium and we and his band members and singers socialized in the lounge together.

The next morning, I was killing some time while checking out and wandered down to a souvenir shop and was looking at post cards on one of those metal, revolving stands. I turned the stand and immediately there was a counter motion from somewhere. So, I rotated it again clockwise and I immediately felt a counter-clockwise pull. I pushed and he pulled.

I figured out that someone must be on the other side and peeked over there. There making the counter-pulls was Joe Cocker, himself, LOL.

We had a short chat. Nice, quiet guy.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: I'm not professional but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Reply with quote

Great stories. Yes, if lounge room walls could talk the secrets they would tell. I think meeting Joe Cocker would have made the day. Not many places where I live now, and it is a large city where one could go listen to Jazz in that setting. One great piano bar that I frequented with my wife after I sobered up that I was comfortable in. It would be good to have somewhere like that to go and listen again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: