• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anyone have a Purviance 5*3, 4*3, 5*K4 and/or 4*K4?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Anyone have a Purviance 5*3, 4*3, 5*K4 and/or 4*K4? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Does anyone have a Purviance 5*3 and/or a 4*3 mouthpiece they'd be willing to loan or rent me? I could also offer to make a trade (I've got several Reeves mouthpieces in the 42 rim size I'd be willing to trade with as well as others - many others).

I don't care if it is an original Purviance or one made by Bob Reeves on the Purviance blank. For that matter I wouldn't mind if it was one made with the Reeves blank (called the RP9A and RP9 respectively).

I'd gladly pay the postage costs both ways and kick in a $10 rental fee to have a month or so with any of these mouthpieces. They are very similar to the Reeves 43 rimmed ones I normally play (in fact I believe the 43 rim is based on the Purviance 5*3/4*3 rim).

Oh, and I'm also a little interested in the 5*K4 and 4*K4 as well (aka RP8A and RP8 when on Reeves blanks). Same deal for those if anyone's interested.

Thanks for your time,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shout out to Trumpet Herald member oddchance who sent me a new-condition Purviance 5*K4 to try!

I've been playing most everything on the mouthpiece for a about a week now and in many ways I like it. It's basically the mouthpiece the Reeves 42C is based off of, but with a slightly deeper cup, a slightly lower alpha angle (meaning the top of the cup is slightly more U shaped than V shaped), and the throat is a little more open being a #25 instead of a #26. As such it plays better for me than a 42C.

I've read where several people have compared a Purviance to being something between a Reeves and a Bach in terms of sound and feel, and I can see their point. But definitely closer to a Reeves than a Bach. Perhaps for me, the Purviance(s) might have the best qualities of each of the other two brands.

Now I'm really wondering about the famous 4*K4 which is otherwise identical but shallower mouthpiece with a slightly smaller throat (a #27). Would I be able to play it? I can sort of play a Reeves 42M but I cannot play a Reeves 42S musically. The 4*K4 is the basis for the 42S, but I understand it is a little deeper and that #27 throat is one size larger than the 42S's #28 throat.

Given that I prefer the 43C over the 42C, would I then like the 5*3 (the basis for the 43C) and the 4*3 (the basis for the 43S) even more?

Well there's only two ways to find out - either I spend about $600 on these three other models (which isn't going to happen anytime soon because I am cheap and even if I wasn't, I've got another year to go in the Nursing Program so I'm not exactly rolling in dough). Or... more kind souls will step forward and loan me their mouthpieces.

And again, I've got plenty to trade if someone wants to make a deal.

Cheers,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite the same comparison, but I can play the 4*2 much more comfortably than I can a 40S (40ES almost unplayable).

Similar difference - the 4*2 just has that slight bit more space at the top (lower alpha) and very little difference in depth compared to the 40S.

As I say, I can play them both but if I had to choose one the 4*2 just has that little bit more room for manouvre/comfort.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, in case you overlooked it, check your PM.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello John, just spend your next vacations to Greece and I will let you try all my collection of Purviance pieces.
What about the famous Purviance bbore , is more open than your favourite #2 Reeves bbore , tell us about it.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New PM sent.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Hudson08

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Just wondering how your hunt/trial is going? I am also interested in the RP8 but have the same concern that the cup will be shallower than I like. I currently go back and forth between a Reeves 42M and an RP7. I like the blow, sound and feel of the RP7 but the diameter is too constricting and my endurance suffers. I feel much more relaxed when playing the 42M and therefore have better endurance.

Anyway, just curious if you've come to any new insights.

Cheers!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'll be sending the two Purviance pieces back to their original owners this week. Meant to do it yesterday but I'm studying my brains out for my Nursing finals which start next Tuesday.

I gave a good shot at them (a 5*K4 and a 4*K4) but their cup diameter is just too small for me. After spending about a month on them (a few weeks on the deeper 5*K4 and then a few on the 4*K4), when I went back to my Reeves 43C it was SO much better for me. I did like them better than the Reeves 42C and 42S and I think that is due to their slightly lower alpha angle coming off the rim (cup drops down faster and is less V-shaped at the top).

So I think if I get a chance to try the 5*3 and 4*3 I might like them very much as they might solve the only issue I have with the 43C and 43M (articulation issues in the lower to mid register caused I think by too great an alpha angle for me).

Hi Giakara, a trip to Greece would be wonderful! And perhaps less expensive than buying four Reeves/Purviance mouthpieces at retail price. But I would have to bring my giant Malamute Samson with me and that would present a problem...

https://s25.postimg.cc/fbhgjkmdr/IMG_6788.jpg

https://s25.postimg.cc/74puz3oa7/IMG_2787.jpg

I can't really comment about the backbore - I didn't have any issues with how the mouthpieces played other than the cups were too small in diameter for me. I think the only way for me to feel any difference or sound difference in the backbores would be if the backbores were on otherwise identical mouthpieces (for instance, two 43C mouthpieces, one with the #2 backbore and one with a Purviance backbore).

Having a whole collection of Reeves and Purviance mouthpieces, along with the experience that goes with that collection, what do you think are the differences between the #2 and the Purviance backbores in terms of feel, sound and any intonation differences?

Lastly, if I can't find one to borrow, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a Purviance 5*3, and then if I like it, maybe the shallower 4*3 as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: