• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Learning in concert pitch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sioul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Learning in concert pitch Reply with quote

Hello to all trumpet players !

I am just beginning to learn the Bb trumpet and I am asking myself if I should stick to the Bb fingering or prefer to switch to concert pitch fingering (where a written C is heard as a Concert C and played 1-3 )

I am a bass player for several years in Jazz and this will remain my main instrument. I am accustomated to name of the notes and their corresponding sound in concert pitch. I read from lead sheets (real book)

I do not want to play a C trumpet.

I understand that he benefit of transposition is to be able to switch between instrument of the same family, but I will only play Bb Trumpet.

I am 54 and do not plan to play written trumpet pieces nor play in big band..

I understand that I could learn to transpose while reading but their will stiil be a mismatch between sound and name of note.

Professionnal musicians in my environment told me that I should move to concert pitch to avoid to "break my ears"

What would be your advice ,? stick to standard or switch to concert fingering ?
Thank you very much !
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you basically saying that you'll learn fingerings offset by a step?

It sounds convoluted to me, but I suppose it depends on what you want to do. If you ever want to play in an ensemble and have music written for trumpet, where will that leave you if you decide to offset your fingerings by a full step and that's how you read and play music?

On the other hand, if you are predominately a jazz player and everything you read will be from lead sheets, real and fake books, it might actually help you. Ultimately, you will still be playing the correct fingerings and pitches regardless of how your mind processes it.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting question.

I think that ensemble musicians have to be able to "code-switch," so I think about a C when I'm playing but I have to be able to call it a Bb when I'm talking about that note with the piano/bass, etc. You pretty much have to be able to do both. Plus, as an improvising musician, you have to be able to read lead sheets and chord changes in C anyway and transpose on the fly.

So with that in mind, my tentative thought is that there's nothing wrong with learning all the note names in concert pitch, but you might have difficulty talking with other trumpet players, and you will have to learn to transpose if anyone hands you a chart written for Bb trumpet.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just logistically I think it would be very hard to do. All the method books, scale books, etc. are written for Bb trumpet. Here are some thoughts:
1. Just play a C trumpet (at least one person here decided he liked C more than Bb)?
2. You're already moving bass to treble, so I don't your ears will break. Most of us move between instruments and clefs and keys and there's no ear-breaking
3. Maybe find a teacher and see what they say?

To me it would be a real hassle to essentially transpose everything from the start. Maybe it would be great practice, but it seems like an unnecessary and frustration-inducing step for someone new to trumpet. You're going to want to use fingering guides in those method books and you're not going to want to transpose everything.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, if you're only going to read out of C lead sheets, why no? But if you ever plan to play in a group where the trumpet parts are written for Bb horn, you'll have trouble.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Right, if you're only going to read out of C lead sheets, why no? But if you ever plan to play in a group where the trumpet parts are written for Bb horn, you'll have trouble.

kehaulani's got it right I think. If you're envisioning playing realbook tunes in a combo and not playing in ensembles using written trumpet music, then why not take this approach? If you're EVER going to play in a situation where you have to read trumpet music (big band, orchestra, brass ensemble, etc.), and you say you won't, but if you ever do, then you will be in a position to have to re-learn things....
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are saying is how tuba and bass clef euphonium players approach playing their concert pitch parts using a Bb instrument - C is 13, D is 12, etc.

Knowing what fingering produces what concert pitch with what particular keyed instrument you are playing at the time is another way to look at transposition in general.

Treble clef tuba and baritone parts are transposed Bb parts, like trumpet, perhaps for helping trumpet players who switched.

It would be better if students understood early on the difference between an instrument’s pitch related to concert pitch. It sounds to me like you do so you should have no problems.

— Joe
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low brass players do it just fine without any problems. If you want to deal with any written trumpet literature at all, it will be a pain unless your transposition chops are ready. If you can transpose, you might as well learn the trumpet way. That way you can communicate easily with other trumpeters.

It's a bit of a quirk of history why trumpeters call the lowest open note C while low brass players call it by the concert pitch of Bb. If you were designing a system from scratch, you'd do it the low brass way, but there are hundreds of years of trumpet history to deal with.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
Just logistically I think it would be very hard to do. All the method books, scale books, etc. are written for Bb trumpet.

But you can play all of those Bb trumpet exercises and etudes as if they were concert pitch and they'll sound fine -- just a full step higher. Since pretty much all methods take you through all the keys you'll get a full workout. The only thing you'd miss would be regular practice down to low concert F and E.

I was originally a trombone player who started noodling around on cornet in high school and finally learned treble clef in music theory classes in college. I immediately started playing C treble parts on Bb cornet, because coming from a concert-pitch background it made perfect sense.

When someone finally explained Bb transposition to me I felt betrayed and pissed off.

I resisted learning Bb "transposition" until I realized that I could read Bb treble music on Bb cornet as if it was tenor clef on valve-trombone/baritone/euphonium (ignoring subtleties like key signatures and accidentals). My college trombone instructor was somewhat surprised how quickly I picked up tenor clef, but I was practicing that clef every time I played Bb treble clef on Bb cornet. The following year I started playing Eb tuba (I had been playing Bb tuba since high school) and discovered the same transposition worked (ignoring even weirder key transpositions and accidentals).
lmaraya
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ask Brad Goode, he also plays bass.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about this issue on and off for years. I have contemplated changing over the years and just thinking of the note that I think of as 'c' as being 'Bb'. One thing I've realized is, that doing this after 50 some years of playing, is NOT trivial. 'First and third valve is d' is pretty hard wired into my brain at this point and making this switch would be a real brain twister, though it might actually be good for me. It's an interesting idea. I've always HATED the fact that the trumpet is a 'Bb' transposing instrument and always wondered why we couldn't just call one and three 'C'.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
I've always HATED the fact that the trumpet is a 'Bb' transposing instrument and always wondered why we couldn't just call one and three 'C'.

All well and good, until you run into something written for Trumpet in A, Eb, E, F, C, D, or heaven forbid, B natural.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
One thing I've realized is, that doing this after 50 some years of playing, is NOT trivial. 'First and third valve is d' is pretty hard wired into my brain at this point and making this switch would be a real brain twister, though it might actually be good for me.

I double on low brass. I struggle thinking like a low brass player and instead have to transpose like a trumpet player. I think Bb instrument, reading a C part rather than C instrument, 1-3 is my C. It's a subtle difference in thinking that has no bearing on the results. The same note comes out either way. It's way less of a cognitive load for me to transpose than change the note fingerings in my head.

If we were to build a system from scratch, I think Bb trumpets would learn on C parts like tuba players and all parts would be in C. I still think transposing is conceptually easier than learning different fingerings like tuba players do for different pitched horns though.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
khedger wrote:
I've always HATED the fact that the trumpet is a 'Bb' transposing instrument and always wondered why we couldn't just call one and three 'C'.

All well and good, until you run into something written for Trumpet in A, Eb, E, F, C, D, or heaven forbid, B natural.

I never said it was practical or easy. I should have said that I'm a jazz player and improviser and that I don't play in sections or much written material anymore. You're absolutely right about the problems this would cause with horns in those other pitches. I have often wondered why, going forward, they don't just make, write for, and expect the use of trumpets in 'C'. I've never played a 'C' trumpet, but that's another experiment I've often contemplated - just getting a 'C' trumpet and using it in my jazz work. Then I wouldn't have to transpose. I've never gotten a good reason why I couldn't or shouldn't do this, irrespective of the issue of parts written in Bb for a big band or something.....anybody?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
RandyTX wrote:
khedger wrote:

I never said it was practical or easy. I should have said that I'm a jazz player and improviser and that I don't play in sections or much written material anymore. You're absolutely right about the problems this would cause with horns in those other pitches. I have often wondered why, going forward, they don't just make, write for, and expect the use of trumpets in 'C'. I've never played a 'C' trumpet, but that's another experiment I've often contemplated - just getting a 'C' trumpet and using it in my jazz work. Then I wouldn't have to transpose. I've never gotten a good reason why I couldn't or shouldn't do this, irrespective of the issue of parts written in Bb for a big band or something.....anybody?

I think Randy was referring to keys being played in, not trumpets in other keys.
If you don’t typically play in ensembles where it would matter, he**, you can call a concert C below the staff a “sharpie” (which is often is), I’m not sure it matters. There are guys in my regular band who don’t read at all, but I do believe that they would have a better basic understanding of music if they could read.

Brad
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sioul wrote:
Professionnal musicians in my environment told me that I should move to concert pitch to avoid to "break my ears"

Ridiculous. If a small thing like understanding transposition (something that even my 6th graders understand) "breaks" someone's ears, then they didn't really have ears or weren't really much of a professional. Good grief.

I'm just going to guess that it was a guitar player that said this.

khedger wrote:

On the trumpet, the open harmonic pitches are always C-G-C-E-G-C (and so forth).

That's true if it's a Bb Trumpet, C Trumpet, Eb Cornet, F Trumpet, Bb/A piccolo trumpet, an old Conn Cornet extended to A, or one of those large F trumpet like they used in orchestras in the mid-late 1800's and you see in museums in Vienna.

The origin of this was when folks played valve-less natural trumpets and used a crook to change their D trumpet to an E trumpet. The music looked the same, the notes felt (more of less) the same, so they just notated that you switch the key (and often crook) and away you go.

To me, as a trumpet player, it makes perfect sense. The "C" on a Bb feels mostly the same as the "C" on my Eb cornet. It's not the same pitch, obviously, but both are essentially "home base" on their respective horns. Why shouldn't it be notated the same?

khedger wrote:
I have often wondered why, going forward, they don't just make, write for, and expect the use of trumpets in 'C'. I've never played a 'C' trumpet, but that's another experiment I've often contemplated - just getting a 'C' trumpet and using it in my jazz work. Then I wouldn't have to transpose. I've never gotten a good reason why I couldn't or shouldn't do this, irrespective of the issue of parts written in Bb for a big band or something.....anybody?

You wouldn't wonder these things as much if you'd actually played a C trumpet.

People seem to want contort themselves with all sorts of ridiculous mental gymnastics just to preserve some sort of "sanctity" about concert pitch and enforce that sort of tyranny upon instruments that don't conform to that. So something that is written a C sounds like a concert Bb. Big deal. It's a bleeping step apart. Be glad you're not playing an Horn or English Horn in F. This isn't calculus.

Pianists transpose all the time. Guitar players put capos on their strings (essentially transposing them up some amount of steps) or tune them differently. Last I checked, the world did not end when they did so.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
khedger wrote:
I have often wondered why, going forward, they don't just make, write for, and expect the use of trumpets in 'C'. I've never played a 'C' trumpet, but that's another experiment I've often contemplated - just getting a 'C' trumpet and using it in my jazz work. Then I wouldn't have to transpose. I've never gotten a good reason why I couldn't or shouldn't do this, irrespective of the issue of parts written in Bb for a big band or something.....anybody?

You wouldn't wonder these things as much if you'd actually played a C trumpet.

People seem to want contort themselves with all sorts of ridiculous mental gymnastics just to preserve some sort of "sanctity" about concert pitch and enforce that sort of tyranny upon instruments that don't conform to that. So something that is written a C sounds like a concert Bb. Big deal. It's a bleeping step apart. Be glad you're not playing an Horn or English Horn in F. This isn't calculus.

Pianists transpose all the time. Guitar players put capos on their strings (essentially transposing them up some amount of steps) or tune them differently. Last I checked, the world did not end when they did so.

It sounds like you are an orchestral player who deals with this type of thing a lot. I'm not. I've never found transposition to be very easy and I've spent a lot of time trying to. I have no particular dedication to 'concert pitch'. For me, playing the music I do, it's just a matter of convenience. I often find it inconvenient to play a transposing instrument. That's all. And despite my contributions to this thread, I have no delusions that the situation is going to change =

I'm interested in your statement about the C trumpet though. Is there some monumental difference in the way it plays or sounds from a Bb horn? If I heard an experienced player play, say, a standard on both horns, would I hear a difference?
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
I'm interested in your statement about the C trumpet though. Is there some monumental difference in the way it plays or sounds from a Bb horn? If I heard an experienced player play, say, a standard on both horns, would I hear a difference?

Well, you wouldn't think that a single step makes much of a difference, but it just seems to for some weird reason. I know there some pros on this forum that actually prefer C trumpet to Bb.

However, I think it's not hard to find decent playing Bb trumpets without many issues. Frankly, many student horns - like say even an old Olds Ambassador or Yamaha student model trumpet play fairly well with not that many intonation issues and fairly even blow. C trumpets tend to be far more problematic, with quirky intonation and an uneven blow - frequently getting progressively more stuffy above the staff. I would even say that these tendencies are abundant, but since people keep insisting to me that there are good playing C trumpets (although I have only played a tiny handful that are) so I'll allow for that possibility.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:

Due to mechanical differences, C trumpets are incapable of swinging.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
khedger wrote:

Due to mechanical differences, C trumpets are incapable of swinging.

well THAT tears it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: