• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Using a completely different set for lead?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VintageFTW
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Using a completely different set for lead? Reply with quote

I figure I should ask before I do anything that I'll regret later. As per my normal playing demands, I play in a concert band setting and a big band setting on a daily basis. For concert band I have been using my New York Bach 17C1 and it has been doing splendidly, but for jazz band I have committed to trying to make a go of my Ratzenberger Jet Tone BC. It gets the sound I am looking for, has crisp articulation, and is very easy to play, but only if I set my chops in a VERY specific way. It is the most unforgiving piece I have ever tried to play, but when it works it really works. If I don't set my chops just right it shuts down on me. Too much upper lip intrusion? Bam. Poor, shaded tone and bad articulation. Too much lower lip? The very same. The only way I can get it to work is 50/50 placement and a very short lip length to set. I then relax my chops as best I can and it works, but my lips have to be perfectly flat against the rim. I think what I have begun to discover is similar to the MF Protocol, but I really don't know. Could there be any harm from doing this? I should add that when things work I feel like I can play forever... My chops feel fresh when rehearsal is over. I've rambled on long enough. Is what I'm doing ill-advised, or should I be fine?
Early 1900's Marceau Cornet *B&F Stencil
1922 Holton-Clarke Cornet
1954 Elkhart built by Buescher 37b
...And many more
bnsd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a different mouthpiece AND a different trumpet, sometimes within the same day. I don't have an issue with it, but;

It sounds like your lead piece is walking a fine line... You might find something that gives you everything you get from the JetTone and not be so unforgiving.

I've had to mess around with different lead pieces throughout the year, and I think I've finally found one that gives me what I want.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The concept of using piece for lead and another for classical is very common. I'd go with it as opposed to fighting it.

As per the delicate nature of your lead embouchure? I can see it becoming less unusual over time. When it comes to making adjustments to shallower mouthpieces I like to take my time.

We've often heard the mistaken belief that "shallow mouthpieces make it easy". Or that "shallow pieces are cheating". Nothing could be further from truth. The one thing which shallow mouthpieces have in common with the large one is that each requires a well educated embouchure. Hence the longer adjustment period. I like to take at least 30 days of breaking in a shallower piece. Before using on stage. Even then I will keep my existing lead mouthpiece handy in case the new, shallower one backs up on me.

Handy hint : When adjusting to a new shallower mouthpiece on a gig, shift over to it only when you start to fatigue. Your chops becoming like a "2 stage rocket". Then after feeling pleasantly refreshed with greatly added power and endurance? Gradually switch over to the shallower piece earlier and earluer in the evening. Until you actually start the gig with the new one.

The reverse is true as well. As when switching to a bigger mouthpiece? Use it at the beginning of the gig. Then switch back when slightly tired.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good answers so far. I totally agree that it's normal to use a different mouthpiece and quite possibly a different horn to play lead than in a concert band.

I also agree that your shallow mouthpiece sounds a bit unforgiving for you. I've been in that situation myself, many times actually, and I ultimately came to the conclusion that having a mouthpiece you're worried about bottoming out on all the time just isn't worth the headache.

Not to say your Jet Tone isn't a great mouthpiece; I often hear about how great the Ratzenberger Jet Tones are, though I never tried one myself. But really shallow mouthpieces, from what I've observed, only work for a relative minority of players. The guys who can make them work, great for them. But I've seen some of the best players out there throw up their hands and decide those super-shallow cups just aren't for them. That made me think, maybe it's not just me.

I eventually settled on a Warburton S-cup for that kind of playing. It's shallow, but not so shallow to worry about bottoming out. I found myself much happier that way.
VintageFTW
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I do know that it is very common to use two different mouthpieces for lead and classical. I myself have been doing that for quite some time... but what I was wondering is whether or not this alternate chop set could be detrimental to my other playing. I did notice today that my margin of error is become much greater for the sweet spot on the Jet Tone, which I suppose is good. I also suppose that I may have over exaggerated my intolerance for an improper set a little. My playing doesn't go to complete trash, it is still to what others consider pretty good, but it isn't up to my standards and it doesn't feel quite right if I don't set correctly. I don't exactly bottom out on the Jet Tone... I know when that happens because no sound will come out if I do due to the extreme shallowness of the cup. (By the way, I have come to LOVE the Warburton S cup. I am saving up the cash to invest in a 10S or 10SV for all around playing, but man does that stuff get pricey).

Lionel: I don't subscribe to the "cheater" mouthpiece idea either. A very shallow piece is FAR more difficult to play well than a deep one.
As to what I mentioned prior; I think you are right about this becoming less unusual over time as evidence by my experience today. I think I am finally figuring out how to consistently set my chops for the Jet Tone without too much effort, thus meaning it is becoming easier and less troublesome. I also really like your strategy for switching over. I think I might try to implement it... the only problem is that I don't have another piece in even roughly the same diameter, so it'll be a little tricky.
...And many more
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VintageFTW wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I do know that it is very common to use two different mouthpieces for lead and classical. I myself have been doing that for quite some time... but what I was wondering is whether or not this alternate chop set could be detrimental to my other playing. I did notice today that my margin of error is become much greater for the sweet spot on the Jet Tone, which I suppose is good. I also suppose that I may have over exaggerated my intolerance for an improper set a little. My playing doesn't go to complete trash, it is still to what others consider pretty good, but it isn't up to my standards and it doesn't feel quite right if I don't set correctly. I don't exactly bottom out on the Jet Tone... I know when that happens because no sound will come out if I do due to the extreme shallowness of the cup. (By the way, I have come to LOVE the Warburton S cup. I am saving up the cash to invest in a 10S or 10SV for all around playing, but man does that stuff get pricey).

Lionel: I don't subscribe to the "cheater" mouthpiece idea either. A very shallow piece is FAR more difficult to play well than a deep one.
As to what I mentioned prior; I think you are right about this becoming less unusual over time as evidence by my experience today. I think I am finally figuring out how to consistently set my chops for the Jet Tone without too much effort, thus meaning it is becoming easier and less troublesome. I also really like your strategy for switching over. I think I might try to implement it... the only problem is that I don't have another piece in even roughly the same diameter, so it'll be a little tricky.

I hear ya. If it's any consolation, I purchased my Warburton piece back in 2004. I think it was 125 bucks total back then (including backbore). It's still my lead piece today. So, 125 for 13-14 years? Not a terrible investment.

Which brings me to my next point. I think with mouthpieces, you mainly want something comfortable that allows you to play your best consistently. If it's comfortable and you can play the best that you've been capable of up to this point (not how you want to eventually sound, your best at the very moment), it's probably a good idea to stick with that mouthpiece for a while if you feel comfortable playing it. The sooner you can get your head out of the gear, the better, in my opinion.
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is usually less of an issue if the inside cup diameters are very close to the same size. Even better if the rims are the same.

Rather than make adjustments with the embouchure, use the same embouchure and let the mouthpiece adjust the sound.

You cannot go wrong with the WB system

Best of luck,

Gordon Stump
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gstump wrote:
It is usually less of an issue if the inside cup diameters are very close to the same size. Even better if the rims are the same.

Rather than make adjustments with the embouchure, use the same embouchure and let the mouthpiece adjust the sound.

Best of luck,

Gordon Stump

I´ll side with this. Concert (brass-band) Wick ultra 7 C very deep, V-ish cup rounded nice rim. Lead - Stork VM 6, V-ish rounded nice rim, however shallow but because of a combination of C and V cup no risk for bottoming. I switched to the VM 6 lately, before that VMS6, more shallow but the VM gives me a more "fullbodied" sound and a slightly better register (amateur). Plus same diameter!
The shallow mpc:s I tried all had me bottom stalling everything.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gstump wrote:

Best of luck,

Gordon Stump

what he said !!!

Also the Curry Precision line is also a good way to go to find a wide range of pieces all in the same ID., but varying depths and shape cups.

regards,

tom
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Using a completely different set for lead? Reply with quote

VintageFTW wrote:
I figure I should ask before I do anything that I'll regret later. As per my normal playing demands, I play in a concert band setting and a big band setting on a daily basis. For concert band I have been using my New York Bach 17C1 and it has been doing splendidly, but for jazz band I have committed to trying to make a go of my Ratzenberger Jet Tone BC. It gets the sound I am looking for, has crisp articulation, and is very easy to play, but only if I set my chops in a VERY specific way. It is the most unforgiving piece I have ever tried to play, but when it works it really works. If I don't set my chops just right it shuts down on me. Too much upper lip intrusion? Bam. Poor, shaded tone and bad articulation. Too much lower lip? The very same. The only way I can get it to work is 50/50 placement and a very short lip length to set. I then relax my chops as best I can and it works, but my lips have to be perfectly flat against the rim. I think what I have begun to discover is similar to the MF Protocol, but I really don't know. Could there be any harm from doing this? I should add that when things work I feel like I can play forever... My chops feel fresh when rehearsal is over. I've rambled on long enough. Is what I'm doing ill-advised, or should I be fine?

You're worried about your chop set, but the thread is discussing mouthpieces.

Back to your chops:

IF your placement is the same as the rest of your playing, then your chops are probably just figuring out how to stay OUT of the cup. This will improve your sound on your deeper mpcs too.

When you say you need a 50/50 placement to make your BC work, if that's actually true I predict trouble, and suggest you're probably not actually achieving that inside the cup. If you work towards leaning a touch more of either lip in the mpc you'll be consistent and trouble free. You probably play legit with more upper lip in the mpc?
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Using a completely different set for lead? Reply with quote

I don't think it should be as problematic as it sounds like it is for you. Why struggle to "make it work" if it sounds like such a PITA and there might be something better?

Have you ever tried a Yamaha Bobby Shew Lead? So far I haven't found anything that makes the higher notes easier. It's definitely not a symphonic piece but it's not radically shallow. I've seen others say they don't like the rim shape but I find it very comfortable. I don't have to go through any particular machinations that I don't do on a larger mp, it just facilitates range better.

I played a Jet-Tone T1A for years because when I first tried it the flat rim felt very comfortable. Over the years I've changed the mechanics of how I address the mp and my overall consciousness of what I do has changed. Eventually I wanted to see how I did on something else, tried a Schilke 14A4A which I liked better, then after a while stumbled across the Shew piece which I liked even more than the Schilke.

Now the same Jet-Tone that I played for a very long time I don't even function well on anymore. I also have a JT Studio B which at least from photos looks similar to the BC - I've never liked it.

I also have a Bach Commercial 3S which gives a huge sound and is very comfortable. It's supposed to be a lead piece although it's not as much help in the upper range as the Shew but gives a fatter sound.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won’t suggest any mouthpiece, because I believe there are too many individual factors that can make a mouthpiece great for one person, unplayable for another. But as Robert said above, it sounds to me like you’re putting more effort into making something work than it’s probably worth.

There are hundreds of “lead mouthpieces” out there, maybe consider trying something other than what you’re struggling with.

Brad
VintageFTW
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Using a completely different set for lead? Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
VintageFTW wrote:

You're worried about your chop set, but the thread is discussing mouthpieces.

Back to your chops:

IF your placement is the same as the rest of your playing, then your chops are probably just figuring out how to stay OUT of the cup. This will improve your sound on your deeper mpcs too.

When you say you need a 50/50 placement to make your BC work, if that's actually true I predict trouble, and suggest you're probably not actually achieving that inside the cup. If you work towards leaning a touch more of either lip in the mpc you'll be consistent and trouble free. You probably play legit with more upper lip in the mpc?

Actually, I do not play with more upper lip for legit playing. I am an upstream player with a rather low mouthpiece placement, ranging anywhere from just below 50/50 to 70-80% lower / 30-20% upper. I'm not sure, but I think this is what Reinhardt describes as a "Type IV", seeing as that I have an overbite yet I play with my teeth aligned.
...And many more
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: