• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pixie Mute Comparison Video

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Pixie Mute Comparison Video Reply with quote

I finally got around to doing a comparison video between a Denis Wick D/Eb straight mute and a vintage Pixie / Nipple mute:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8CXqa5flh8

And here's the one from a few years ago comparing the Wick D/Eb and a vintage Conn straight mute - what is basically the H&B "Pixie" mute that's marketed today:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdGDvkRFMkU

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Nos Mo King
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thanks for the comparison...Have you used the Humes and Berg Pixie? I pulled the center metal out of mine and it improved the sound and intonation a tad, but that nipple Pixie is great! I see H&B has a new pixie using "precious metals"... and may have to spring for that and wait my turn on a chance for the original nipple pixie...

All the best,

Or I guess I could just get the Wick Eb/D straight mute and save 10 bucks....

Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nos Mo King wrote:
Great! Thanks for the comparison...Have you used the Humes and Berg Pixie?

Yes, I own and tried a H&B Pixie. It's in a storage box somewhere. Tried different corks, opened the top - all that stuff. Nothing made any improvements.

I used the Conn metal one in the video simply because those pop up quite often on eBay. With a very slight change in design, it is basically the H&B "pixie" mute.

H&B also makes a "Short" straight mute. Made just like the normal Stonelined straight, just a "mini-me" version.

Good grief - what a terrible mute! Tried it hoping it'd make a decent Pixie but alas...not even close.

I just looked and the H&B web site. Yeah, it does say "precious metal" but looking at it alongside the other mutes in that category, the "precious metal" is most likely aluminum or whatever metal they use for their metal mutes.

btw - the H&B "Swish Wha" - now THAT'S a terrific mute, worth having in your mute bag!

And just for disclaimer purposes - all of the opinions I express are purely that - my opinions, which are based on years of practice and practical application in our art.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim, Ever consider reviewing the Best Brass mini straight mute as a pixie substitute? Yes, $93 is expensive. However, it's less than a bidding war on eBay for the nipple mute.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthes93401 wrote:
Hi Tim, Ever consider reviewing the Best Brass mini straight mute as a pixie substitute? Yes, $93 is expensive. However, it's less than a bidding war on eBay for the nipple mute.

If they'd send me one - sure!

But if someone has a Best Brass mini and wants to do a video of their own - please do so. I'd be interested in hearing it.

I think the prime desirable sound characteristic of a Pixie is the "raspy-ness" you can get and how easily you can create it. My guess on that with the Nipple mute is how much farther it goes into the bell.

Then there's that it doesn't extend as far out of the bell as a normal straight mute does (for ease of plunger movement).

bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Best Brass mini quite a bit, it is very in tune and very portable, as it fits into the bell of the horn in the case. Works very well with the plunger and by itself as a regular straight mute and doesn't back up on the low notes.

Another pixie that I find to be excellent is the Facet 'Miley' mute -- very in tune and works all the way down to the lowest notes on the horn. Also works great as a straight mute.
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bixtone wrote:
I use the Best Brass mini quite a bit, it is very in tune and very portable, as it fits into the bell of the horn in the case. Works very well with the plunger and by itself as a regular straight mute and doesn't back up on the low notes.

Another pixie that I find to be excellent is the Facet 'Miley' mute -- very in tune and works all the way down to the lowest notes on the horn. Also works great as a straight mute.

Between the Facet and Best Brass, which do you prefer for plunger work?

Thanks!
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bixtone wrote:

Video, please.

bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what I need to do for the gig. The orginal Conn mutes were used in several different ways by players like Joe Oliver and Bubber Miley. In addition to using the mute with a plunger, they also hold the mute part way in the bell with their hands, using their fingers for a 'wa-wa' sound. A great example of this technique is Bubber's solo on Ellington's original "East St. Louis Toodle --oo" A lot of modern players play this solo with the plunger mute and it doesn't sound right.

The Facet is better for this plunger-less type of playing than the Best Brass due to the shape of the mute. The Best Brass would be fine for this in a pinch, it's just a little easier with the Facet. The Best Brass also sounds a little different to the player because the mute is entirely in the bell so the feedback is weird, the Facet sounds more conventional. Also there is a difference because one is wood and the other is aluminum. They both work great with a plunger. I still like them both and use them a lot. One more thing -- the Best Brass doesn't fit in some horns with a really wide bell throat.

I also have a HN White nipple mute, Conn, and some other ones but I don't like to travel with them as I have a habit of losing mutes. If I'm recording I'll always use the old ones because nothing can replicate their sound.
bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best Brass (with Shastock aluminum plunger) at 3:17:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYgA4De7iss
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim - this is off-topic, but you're in the same area, maybe played together. Did you know a friend of mine, Larry Ford?

I understand that he died of a heart attack and have just been curious if that was the reason. He seemed pretty relaxed (no stress) the last time I saw him. Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great, Tim. I enjoy all your contributions here!

I've got one of those old Conn practice mutes.

The really old guys (Bubber, Bix, etc) used those mutes, but they didn't put the mute all the way into the bell. They loosely put it in and used a plunger to hold it in the bell, or in the case of Bix, he held the mute with a couple of fingers and used the other fingers to "wah" the bell.

That said, I'd never use it in a section or for ensemble passages. I use the Wick Eb for that (which works fantastically). Even with the conn mute halfway in the bell, the low register is totally useless and it raises the overall pitch of the horn a bit. This is definitely something you'd solo with, or at best with a New Orleans style front line type of band.

So, even though the nipple mutes are definitely better all around, those old conn practice mutes can still sound good. Better yet, you can grab one for around 100 bucks usually.

(Just a tip about the video - turn your volume up. This was recorded with my horn mic and it's quite far off screen)

Link

Bach-aha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to using the Eb Dennis Wick for pixie work. Just used it last week for a run of 42nd St. and I liked the way it worked a couple of little solo things in the book. As Tim metioned it has great pitch and for me, allows that raspy-ness to come out easily in plunger work. (I also like that quality of the regular dennis wick straight too for when I feel the mute should have that real bright and buzzy sound to it).

I would be interested in hearing what the reviews are on the best brass and facet mutes.
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been a really helpful thread for me. Thanks to all the contributors! TH at its best.

Based on the Trad Jazz video with the Best Brass with plunger, that was enough for me to go ahead and order the Best Brass. My plunger is the Denis Wick, not the vintage aluminum in the video. However, it is metal, so I'm hopeful for a similar sound.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Tim - this is off-topic, but you're in the same area, maybe played together. Did you know a friend of mine, Larry Ford?

I understand that he died of a heart attack and have just been curious if that was the reason. He seemed pretty relaxed (no stress) the last time I saw him. Thanks.

I did not get to meet Larry, even tho we were in the same area for a while.

I was in the USAF Band at March AFB (Riverside) CA., from April 1983 to Jan., 1988. I think Larry had passed by the time I got out and started working in local bands and orchestras. By that time, the service had lifted its restrictions on military musicians working on civilian band & orchestra gigs, but I had not broken into that scene until shortly before I got out.

I know for a while Larry was the trumpet professor at U. of Redlands.

And of his time at U of Redlands...there's a terrific story I heard about him that sadly would not only get censored by this site...it might also get me tossed out!

Mike & Bixtone - really nice playing samples - thanks!

RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice video, Tim. I had never seen or even heard of the 'nipple mute' shown in the video, but it really does have a nice sound. I doubt I'll ever see one in person, but very cool. Any idea what company made them originally?

One thing that I noticed in the video, perhaps it's just due to the camera angle being right off the end of the bell, is it looks like the Wick D/Eb sticks a fair bit further out of the bell than I expected for what it is.

Is it just an optical illusion, or does it interfere at all with the plunger motion when you are using it that way?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Tim - thanks a lot for responding.
(See your email.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Any idea what company made them originally?

One thing that I noticed in the video, perhaps it's just due to the camera angle being right off the end of the bell, is it looks like the Wick D/Eb sticks a fair bit further out of the bell than I expected for what it is.

Is it just an optical illusion, or does it interfere at all with the plunger motion when you are using it that way?

There aren't any markings of any kind on the Nipple mute. I've searched the net a little looking for information on it but so far haven't come up with anything.

The Wick D/Eb does protrude out from the bell but nowhere near as much as a regular straight mute does. With a plunger that's larger than the H&B "Tuxedo" plunger or one that's really small, it'll cover the bell & mute quite nicely with no hindrance to movement.

bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ‘nipple’ mutes were supplied with HN White instruments.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/s0w_qeTCqiw

This is a other great video for the pixie mute.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: