• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Double tonguing advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlbertHwang

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Double tonguing advice Reply with quote

Hi, I've been struggling with multiple tonguing for quite a while now. Whenever I articulate the "k" syllable (or "g"), the air stops for far too long and as a result, the articulation is very unclear and distorted. What advice or exercises do you know that can help mitigate this? Thank you.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes hours to strengthen and coordinate the muscles used in k-tonguing. The best advice I can give you is to practice k-tonguing alone and no tah-tonguing (k k k k) up a scale or something. You should also practice double tonguing out of the first exercises of the Arban very slow, something like 55 or 60 bpm.

With patience, you can be double tonguing very well in a relatively short amount of time.
crose
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was taught and teach:

Learn to triple tongue well first

The K must not be too far back - no "Kugh", think key. The farther forward in the mouth the better - we are not tuba players

I also use the practicing the K alone as the above poster suggested

A metronome is also invaluable. Making it exact in not only important, but it seems to overwork the muscles and is also measurable

Be patient.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When learning you need to strive for the lightest possible "k". Some folks refer to it as just bumping the air. Other players demonstrated what they called doodle-tonguing.

As a practical matter, I didn't make big strides until my teacher assigned the Clarke Techincal Studies. One exercise for two weeks, each day with a different tonguing model...
- slur all
- single tongue
- slur two/tongue two
- double tongue
- triple tongue (where it makes sense)
- K-tongue

Sure it sucks for many agonizing weeks and you'll swear it's not getting better,...until it does.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
It takes hours to strengthen and coordinate the muscles used in k-tonguing. The best advice I can give you is to practice k-tonguing alone and no tah-tonguing (k k k k) up a scale or something. You should also practice double tonguing out of the first exercises of the Arban very slow, something like 55 or 60 bpm.

With patience, you can be double tonguing very well in a relatively short amount of time.

This is your answer. Also, the book Daily Trumpet Routines by Claude Gordon has years' worth of exercises using different patterns and arpeggios with all the possible articulations (T, K, TKTK, TTK, and slurred). If you buy the book and practice it daily following the instructions, competency with single, double and triple tonguing will be unavoidable.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned to multiple-tongue when I played the Carnival of Venice in high school. Practicing that slowly and working it up very gradually with a metronome did it for me.

Based on OP's description, it sounds like you're cutting the air off when you tongue. Try focusing on keeping the airstream constant and not interrupting it so much when you tongue. It's nowhere near as hard a syllable as the "c" in "cat." It's a lot more delicate, just a light touch that allows the air to continue uninterrupted.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to improve your double tongue, then double tongue - 10 minutes a day, every day.

There's no shortcut - it takes work and it takes time. Work on it daily, and when you work on it, really focus on what's going on, and work to refine it. No one can put in the work for you - you have to do it on your own, and there is no secret. You already fundamentally know what you need to know in order to do it.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you practicing this?
Peter Bond
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea that double tonguing takes great strength is....Well, I’ll say misguided.
Articulate like you speak.
Try this:
1) Speak the phrase or exercise. (Tu ku tu ku tu is best for a brilliant fanfare sound, du gu du gu du Is better for speed and longer passages)

2) With lips around the OUTSIDE of the mouthpiece, blow a gentle wind stream through the instrument, and articulate the passage in the same manner. This is your model.

3) Play the passage on an easy note using the same approach. If the problem re-occurs, you’re doing something unnecessary when playing. Often the issue is not articulation, but a dysfunctional embouchure, which requires tremendous wind pressure to function.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Bond wrote:
The idea that double tonguing takes great strength is....Well, I’ll say misguided.
Articulate like you speak.
Try this:
1) Speak the phrase or exercise. (Tu ku tu ku tu is best for a brilliant fanfare sound, du gu du gu du Is better for speed and longer passages)

2) With lips around the OUTSIDE of the mouthpiece, blow a gentle wind stream through the instrument, and articulate the passage in the same manner. This is your model.

3) Play the passage on an easy note using the same approach. If the problem re-occurs, you’re doing something unnecessary when playing. Often the issue is not articulation, but a dysfunctional embouchure, which requires tremendous wind pressure to function.

This.
And I'll add that it's akin to learning to speak a new language and to pronounce the words and phrases exactly, perfectly.
My experience with students is that most stop the air flow (not that you blow harder but the sound/air flow must continue) and the "syllables" are too far back in their mouths. Tongue placement is not like speaking "Tu & Ku" aloud - it's much more forward, and definitely don't get the throat involved. The "K" or "G" is roof of the mouth area: like saying "key" in a very high voice/falsetto.
Then DAILY work.. build some multiple tonging exercises into your daily routine, along with all the other technical elements that we need to learn, maintain and hone.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often players will try to over emphasize the K syllable, and thereby move it to far back in the oral cavity. This makes it impossible to acquire any speed, no matter how much they might practice. Try moving the K tongue more forward (as in takatakatakataka).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: