• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What happened to Walt Johnson cases?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

Could that case be taken on as a carry On?

FYI: Walt's earlier website had photos with endorsers like Bill Watrous, Arturo, Rick Baptist and guitarist Christopher Parkening. His line cases for soprano/alto/tenor/bari saxes, pocket trumpet and single flugelhorn.

My 30 year-old single and combo cases (trumpet/flg) cases with the twist anvil latches are still in use and the only problem I've had is having to reglue some areas of the lining. Aside from that, they've done their job protecting my horns.

I have a newer Trpt/flug combo and double case (which is essentially a combo shell with a full size accessory slot-big enough for a pic) that has the Halliburton latches. Again, great cases.

The newer single cases, with the flat bell end, seemed to use a weaker fiberglass formula. The edges are succeptible to chips and cracks. But, it is by far the most compact case I have found with good protection.

Anyone ever seen the earlier trumpet/flugel case that wasn't rectangular in shape? It looked more like cases from the 1950-60, almost a rounded trapezoid shape.

Last edited by gchun01 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd sure like to find the newer version of the single. Haven't seen one for sale.

I really hope someone would be willing to start making them again. I feel sure if someone could get the price point down a hair the cases would fly!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a newer-style single on eBay a few months ago...went for around $300 if memory serves. Looked pretty clean though.

johnlakejazz.com
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gchun01 wrote:
Could that case be taken on as a carry On?

I've never flown with the triple, only the trpt/flug combo, and it was not a problem as carry-on.

One of the things Walt took into consideration with the design was that it could be carried on airplanes.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Gregory Gilmore
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Walt Johnson cases... Reply with quote

...and don't forget the secret compartment!
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Walt Johnson cases... Reply with quote

Gregory Gilmore wrote:
...and don't forget the secret compartment!

Yeah...it was strange how on some cases he'd have the "secret compartment" and on others he'd have the one big compartment (that was very awkward to use as stuff easily fell out before you could close it).

Something to keep in mind is when he started making the cases is designed the interior to fit what he personally used - trumpet, flugel, Harmon, mouthpieces & oil, and 2 Spyder stands, one in the front compartment & one in the "secret."

He wanted to be able to walk off an airplane carrying everything he'd need - horns & accessories & a suit bag with his tux.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Walt Johnson cases... Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:

......Something to keep in mind is when he started making the cases is designed the interior to fit what he personally used - trumpet, flugel, Harmon, mouthpieces & oil, and 2 Spyder stands, one in the front compartment & one in the "secret."

He wanted to be able to walk off an airplane carrying everything he'd need - horns & accessories & a suit bag with his tux.

I'm able to get all of that PLUS a straight mute in the flugel bell and plunger and cup in the flugel bell wraps. I have always been able to carry it on board, but wouldn't fear any damage if I had to check it.

Walt came to visit a rehearsal band I was doing in Honolulu while he was on the Sinatra-Liza tour. He had an orange colored single case. Very flat, industrial looking. He sat in on a few numbers, tore it up, put his horn back in the case, then handed it to his young son. His son proceeded to drag it on the floor as they left!
Deacon

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: How about an update? Reply with quote

Is anyone making this case now? I have a large "suitcase" single, and would like to convert it to a combo trumpet/flugelhorn case.
Calicchio 1S-7
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
Walt Johnson closed the case business.

So it's a closed case? Case closed? (couldn't resist)
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
A used single was just posted in marketplace.

I couldn't find it. Could you tell me where it is? Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Geodude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kehaulani - you hopped on an older thread that had been revived. I think the case that Ed Kennedy mentioned being in the Marketplace was listed for sale back in 2016.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geodude wrote:
Kehaulani - you hopped on an older thread that had been revived. I think the case that Ed Kennedy mentioned being in the Marketplace was listed for sale back in 2016.

So sorry. Didn't mean to cause confusion...
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A single sold on eBay yesterday for $350. It was one of the newer / slimmer singles.

kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geodude wrote:

LOL!

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geodude wrote:

I think that was one that I listed and sold.....and should have kept.🤨

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: