• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ventral/Umbilical Mesh Hernia Repair Chat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmyGirl

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Ventral/Umbilical Mesh Hernia Repair Chat Reply with quote

Hi Trumpet Players,

My name is Amy and I'm a 36 yo trumpet player and band director in Maryland. Two years ago I had a nasty Meckel's infection and had to have a bowel resection. About 11% of people with this surgery end up with an incisional hernia, and of course I was one. So I had the incisional (umbilical area) repair done robotically 10 months ago with dual Gortex mesh (if I could go back I would have done an open repair, but that is another story for another forum).

I know there have been other posts on here about hernias before, but my post is slightly different. I think trumpet players in general are at greater risk for hernias, maybe as comparable to body builders. I have an appointment with my surgeon next Friday and will be bringing my trumpet to demonstrate. Even after the repair with the mesh I still get burning and a bulge when I play my horn (also cough, sneeze, clear my throat). Going through a second surgery to put a second layer of mesh on is an option, but not something I'm sure I want to do due to the risk of seromas and infection between the layers.

Hernia surgeries are super complex and they almost always seem to have lasting chronic challenges, minor to major for most that have them repaired. They are just evil!

My question is, has anyone here had an incisional/ventral/umbilical mesh repair and still feel buring and bulging when you play? I can play any other instrument without the bulge, only trumpet seems to cause the problem, my main instrument OF COURSE

Thanks for any feedback ya'll have to share. Hernias are just the worst!
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to read of your issues Amy. Most of the people here have zero medical training, myself included, unless having a wife who is a senior scrub nurse and a once very active technical diver (lots of medical things crop up in diving)

That said, pain? This is not right, so definitely go back to your surgeon. you may also consider getting a second opinion and letting your original person know this. The bulge only confirms that something is not right.

I hope you find a solution to this. In the meantime, avoid things which cause you pain!

cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: