• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Marcus Bonna double vs Yamaha/ Bach wood shell case

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jj586

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Marcus Bonna double vs Yamaha/ Bach wood shell case Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

How protective, or “hard”, is the Marcus Bonna double case compared to the Yamaha wood shell double cases, or the Bach wood shell case?

I looking to find a case for 1 trumpet + mutes and accessories. Ideally, something compact enough to fit in an overhead on a plane. And something sturdy enough so I don’t have to worry about the horn getting damaged because something pushed too hard on the case.

I’m familiar with the Yamaha double case, and I like that level of protection. So I’m looking for a case that protects at a similar level (or more).

I have an Adams A4 LT, and it won’t fit in a traditional case like the Yamaha or Bach wood shell. So I’m exploring my options.

Thanks for your help!
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MB cases are reportedly made with extremely sturdy "fiberglass or carbon fiber."

http://www.mbcases.com.br/en/

I have my first on order with a new horn presently being built and have every bit of confidence the instrument will be fully protected at all times. I see a couple on the TH marketplace right now, fyi. Also, Adams website has several to offer, which I would figure to completely accommodate an A4LT.

https://www.adams-music.com/search/default.asp
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mb doubles are fabulous and protective. My go-to double case for years.
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Double Cases Reply with quote

The MB cases are all absolutely great.

Another to check out is the Basili & Basili brand.
Same level of protection as the MB.

I have both and consider them equal in quality.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiseman
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MB case is great. The lightweight fiberglass frame is more durable than wood, which is in the Yamaha double and the Wiseman. And the Wiseman is way too heavy unless you by the $1600 carbon fiber model.

I like the newer Yamaha double with the fake leather and backpack straps. As long as you’re not rough with your case, the Yamaha is a great alternative to the more expensive MB. Also, if you’re rough, the MB outside will wear out fast!
jj586

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the insights and recommendations thus far, everyone!
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jj586 wrote:
Thank you so much for the insights and recommendations thus far, everyone!

IF you can locate a Torpedo Bags Coyote, they are the real deal. I have a Wiseman double, it is very protective, but VERY heavy. I have a Bonna double, and a latch on the backpack straps broke once, and caused severe damage to one of my Monettes. I use Torpedo Bags now (singles and 2.5 Coyotes), and endorse them for a reason. They are the best I have found. The little slogan on the website, "Discuss the merits with your trumpet" is sound advice. My horns, regardless of make or model, are protected, and are safe. I know this is a very old thread and that this isn't one of the listed options, but since I have at least one of every case you mention, I felt I could offer some insights. Hope they help!

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
jj586

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendation @dr_trumpet! The origina Torpedo Coyotes sound really nice based on what i’ve read. But it seems like they are hard to come by
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jj586 wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation @dr_trumpet! The origina Torpedo Coyotes sound really nice based on what i’ve read. But it seems like they are hard to come by

Send them a note and see if they will make one for you. The worst they can say is no. I know I've seen used ones going for really, really high prices, but I can assure you, they are worth the price if they are in excellent shape, and you typically carry 2-3 trumpets. I have two of these, and I use mine daily for orchestra rehearsals and to take my instruments from my studio at home to my studio at the university. Considering I have so much invested in trumpets and mouthpieces, the investment in a great case seems absolutely essential. I have an Marcus Bonna double that I have used for a long time (until I bought my first Coyote), but I can tell you that the Bonna is not nearly as protective or as strong as the Torpedo. If I can be of help, please do not hesistate to let me know.

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
jj586

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do! Thanks for the insights, @dr_trumpet.
Ferg825

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Marcus Bonna Double, the Torpedo Coyote, and a Yamaha wooden double.

I have never had any issues with my Marcus Bonna Double. I have had it for 9 years and its mostly carried a Bb/C trumpet. The convenience of the backpack straps is very nice. In addition, there is an outside zipper area that is good for oils/grease/pencils etc. I now use this for a Bb/Eb cornets. Works great!

The Torpedo Coyote is hands down the best case that I have ever used. I use it for my Bb/C/picc. It is a little heavy with all three horns, but it so solid. It is worth the investment. I was able to get one used and in good shape from the marketplace here.

My Yamaha double is a great lightweight case. I have the older model that doesn't have the leather and backpack straps. It also doesn't have any outside pockets. For this reason, it is mainly used as storage for my other horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: