• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Stravinsky-"A Solder's Tale"

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabrieli wrote:
David Mason (of Penny Lane fame) told me he once played it with Stravinsky conducting. He took a cornet and a trumpet to the first rehearsal (both of course in b flat) and asked Stravinsky, which he preferred. The reply:- " Use what ever you can play it best on; it just happened that the player I wrote it for liked playing the cornet"

Interesting anecdote. Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Jay Lichtmann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhenrikse wrote:
Whats all the fuss? I heard a big time (I think) LA studio player slur it back in the day.

If my memory serves me, the recording I heard that had Maurice Andre playing the cornet part, he slurred the quintuplets.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay Lichtmann wrote:
mhenrikse wrote:
Whats all the fuss? I heard a big time (I think) LA studio player slur it back in the day.

If my memory serves me, the recording I heard that had Maurice Andre playing the cornet part, he slurred the quintuplets.

Jay,

I have heard three performances where they were all slurred; Mssr. André, Mr. Herseth, and a big name studio player in California whose name escapes me all play it slurred. The Russian edition I have of the score has is slurred. The parts that I have show it as slurred as well. Not sure why we are tonguing it.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
Jay Lichtmann wrote:
mhenrikse wrote:

Jay,

I have heard three performances where they were all slurred; Mssr. André, Mr. Herseth, and a big name studio player in California whose name escapes me all play it slurred. The Russian edition I have of the score has is slurred. The parts that I have show it as slurred as well. Not sure why we are tonguing it.

There used to be a great article about this on Tom Stevens's website. It detailed the 1960s recording session with Stravinsky himself at the helm. Charles Brady was the cornet player and he spent an hour going over the articulations with Stravinsky. It that recording the quintuplets are tongued. I believe there is also another Stravinsky led recording (Robert Nagel playing) where they are also tongued. Why he wrote them slurred in the first place who knows. Perhaps the slur was a misinterpreted phrase making signifying that those 5 notes were together as a quintuplet.
kristiner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tubbs831 wrote:
There used to be a great article about this on Tom Stevens's website. It detailed the 1960s recording session with Stravinsky himself at the helm. Charles Brady was the cornet player and he spent an hour going over the articulations with Stravinsky. It that recording the quintuplets are tongued.

That story disappeared for some reason when Stevens revamped his site. But I quoted it for a blog post a few years ago after Charles (who was my teacher in undergrad) passed away...

“In an effort to clarify the cornet notation for what was intended at the time to be the definitive L’Histoire recording conducted by the composer, Stravinsky worked with Brady for over an hour in an one-on-one session during which time the maestro specified the articulations for the complete cornet part. Consequently, it would be fair to assert the recording, which was subsequently released in the CD format, does indeed represent the definitive performance of the cornet part…”

Here's my post about Charles: http://kristiner.com/2010/02/24/remembering-charles-brady/
http://kristiner.com
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has motivated me to listen to that Stravinsky record again with Charles Brady. Wow, what a marvelous performance. Those quiet, exposed arpeggios gave me fits when I was studying the piece so many years ago. So nice to revisit such wonderful music.

I used to practice by playing along with this recording over and over until I could count those tricky passages without error! Lordy.

Cheers, everyone.
kristiner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles was incredible. He sure is missed around here.

He was 22 when he recorded that, btw.
http://kristiner.com
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm also a fan of C trumpet or C cornet for this piece. I prefer the TKTKT articulation for the quintuplet passage.

What an awesome piece! I've been fortunate enough to perform it several times, and have enjoyed it immensely each time!

Have fun!

Dave

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass
Jay Lichtmann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kristiner wrote:
tubbs831 wrote:
There used to be a great article about this on Tom Stevens's website. It detailed the 1960s recording session with Stravinsky himself at the helm. Charles Brady was the cornet player and he spent an hour going over the articulations with Stravinsky. It that recording the quintuplets are tongued.

That story disappeared for some reason when Stevens revamped his site. But I quoted it for a blog post a few years ago after Charles (who was my teacher in undergrad) passed away...

“In an effort to clarify the cornet notation for what was intended at the time to be the definitive L’Histoire recording conducted by the composer, Stravinsky worked with Brady for over an hour in an one-on-one session during which time the maestro specified the articulations for the complete cornet part. Consequently, it would be fair to assert the recording, which was subsequently released in the CD format, does indeed represent the definitive performance of the cornet part…”

Here's my post about Charles: http://kristiner.com/2010/02/24/remembering-charles-brady/

Thanks for that Kristiner, very interesting. Charles Brady was a monumental talent for sure. I remembered when I studied with Tom Stevens (who was an extremely competitive guy) that he spoke in the most glowing and envious terms about Brady. He told stories about what a marvelous player he was, a true natural on the instrument, and how jealous he was of him in his younger days. The L'historie recording of Brady's is the gold standard for trumpeters no doubt!
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick and dirty example of TKTKT. Apologies if the second entrance was early - my memory isn't what it used to be.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1u0omi13fvthcwj/Stravinsky.mov?dl=0
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should all be so quick and dirty... Thanks Jim!
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrClean wrote:
A quick and dirty example of TKTKT. Apologies if the second entrance was early - my memory isn't what it used to be.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1u0omi13fvthcwj/Stravinsky.mov?dl=0

Wow. That was fantastic. I won't live long enough to get that down like you just played it.

Off to the salt mines...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: