• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

ACB Doubler Specifics / Modification

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: ACB Doubler Specifics / Modification Reply with quote

Hi guys. Going to be getting my first ACB Doubler flugel this week, and had a couple questions for seasoned owners.

- Is the mouthpiece shank a standard taper? I want to make sure when / if I get anew mouthpiece that I look at the right shanks.
- Are the valve cap threads any type of standard? I’m interested in getting a heavy trim kit / recessed top caps, and am hoping there’s some type of standard thread so it’s not a custom order.
- Lacquer stripping - this is an older model from before raw brass was offered. Does anyone have experience stripping lacquer from the previous red brass version?

Thanks!

Raw Brass HB2 - Hammond PW
Gen II ACB Doubler Flugel - Curry 5FL
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All questions for Trent.. I'm sure if you give him a chance to settle into the new digs (he's moving his shop), he'll help you out more than any 57 of us on the web....
Retired Air Force Bandsman
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I sent a message to Trent through the site, but didn’t know they were moving. I’ll wait for a response.

TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now we're measuring them... the older supplier (GEN II flugels) were Yamaha threads so we assumed they were the same. These new gen horns are not. Most likely we'll set up the new CNC for some caps and start making some shortly once we move to KC.
-T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Trent! Thanks for the input.

PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, mainly for archival purposes.

I purchased a nickel Yamaha 631 tuning slide, and it fit fine. Seemed to open up the blow a bit, but I also swapped to a Curry 5FL from the included mouthpiece at the same time, so who knows. I also put in a set of the Yamaha valve springs from Mouthpiece Express and they do make a noticeable difference in the actuation force, for me.

As far as the threads, maybe they are Yamaha, but the Curry XCaps with Yamaha threads I got were too small to fit over the threads of the ACB Flugel. Oddly enough, the top caps and buttons fit my Jupiter perfectly. The bottom caps only go on about 3/4 of a turn, but I put 2 o-rings on each valve, and it makes a fun difference on that horn.

Just for future, the Yamaha leadpipe and springs worked with zero issue, the Yamaha threaded trim kit did not fit.

meplaytrumpet

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:49 am    Post subject: Thread sizes Reply with quote

FYI, i also have a new ACB flugel. Top caps/buttons from a Yamaha flugel trim kit fit the top threads perfectly but the bottom caps are a different size
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious now if Yamaha flugel and trumpet threads / valve casings are the same diameter. Perhaps the bottom-sprung casings are larger?

Tivolian

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eighteen months into my comeback (>40 year layoff after high school) I recently bought a used ACB doublers flugel. My naive question is why replace the top caps and buttons with a Yamaha trim kit? How would those change the sound and/or action? Thanks.
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tivolian,

It was primarily an aesthetic / ergonomic choice. I bought them as soon as I received the flugel and realized it played well enough. I had read of a couple other people buying standard Yamaha springs and leadpipes to (slightly) improve the valve action and blow.

The trim kit was solely because I was originally going to also strip the lacquer from the red brass bell and let it patina, and thought a heavy trim kit in brushed silver would look cool. I also like the feel of recessed caps when I'm playing ballads (I know, that's an oddly specific thing but I find it true), and I figured it was worth the risk.

Thankfully the trim kit fit my XO 1600i pretty well. The threads weren't perfect but they also didn't strip / cross-thread much at all. Unfortunately that trumpet grew legs and walked away (stolen), but the flugel was left behind. I'm thankful for that because it's the first time I've owned a flugel since high school (30 now), and it was only a couple weeks old at the time of the theft.

And sitting right next to the trumpet...

Anyway, the heavy trim kit was just a personal choice, but I never got to see what the effect would have been on that horn.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: