• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Becoming a first chair player. Kinda funny lol.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Becoming a first chair player. Kinda funny lol. Reply with quote

Just got out of a rehearsal which included both a guest artist on tenor sax and his impromptu jazz improvisation clinic. In other words we both rehearsed and had a jazz Q & A session.

The amusing part was unintentional but many times reality and truth are funnier than anything we try to invent to get laughs. Anyway towards the end of the clinic session the man asks the people in the big band to,

"Raise your hand if you practice long tones every day".

And here comes the killer; just four people raised their hands,

The first chair player in every section!...

Both the music director and guest artist got substantial chuckles from my observation. LOL!

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played jazz tenor for a long time and after a couple of years quit playing long tones in deference to things like Cancone Studies; i.e. moving long tones, as it were. In my experience, it's not so unusual for advanced players not to play conventional long tones.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your post made me sigh lol. I can’t seem to work long tones into my routine. However, whisper tones are something I’ve been adding, in addition to soft Clarke studies. Hopefully that does the trick!
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Your post made me sigh lol. I can’t seem to work long tones into my routine. However, whisper tones are something I’ve been adding, in addition to soft Clarke studies. Hopefully that does the trick!

C/J,
Clarke himself suggested exactly what it is that you're doing. His theory was that by playing running notes through long phrases the effect was similar to both playing long tones AND developong fingers, breath control etc. Essentially "killing several birds with one stone".

I think the question asked by the jazz professor posted in my O/Topic would make it's point had it just said,

"Who practices every day"? As opposed to,

"Who practices long tones every day"?

In fact the only reason I was able to truthfully answer the question with a "yes" is because I'm working on that new embouchure. My experience with new chop settings being similar to teaching a raw beginner. In other words ling tones help beginners because of their limited ability to exhibit multiple skills. A beginner can't play the Flight of the Bumblebee up an octave (or probably not even in it's regular scale) because it requires too many skills.

So long tones are helpful for those trying to develop. Esp the upper register. So as I develop my new embouchure I'm playing long tones in all registers. This due to the less mature level of the new chop setting. I'm only able to play well and a good sound on this new setting when most other technical obstacles are removed. More later.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: