• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Marketplace Access

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many posts should be required for Marketplace access?
0 (none, no post requirement to buy/sell in Marketplace)
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
5 (current)
27%
 27%  [ 8 ]
20+ (high enough to exclude FPWs)
58%
 58%  [ 17 ]
Get rid of the Marketplace
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Get rid of Marketplace, add For Sale forum
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 29

Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Marketplace Access Reply with quote

We have been getting quite a few "for sale" type posts lately, usually thinly disguised as "how much is this worth?" as well as more blatant posts. And of course the usual five-post wonders (FPWs) making five inane posts. They take up space and resources but I am wondering what folk on TH think.

We could scrap the five-post requirement, make it so high that only "true" TH'rs can post, scrap the Marketplace entirely (always eBay), add an unmonitored For Sale subforum, or ???

Curious - Don
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't scrap it. I've had many good experiences with it that would not happen on eBay.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd put forward an additional suggestion....

Make it something like (for example) 50 posts PLUS account 6 months old or older.

Most "FPW's" sign up wanting to use the marketplace and they only post their 5 posts because they know it'll get them access... if you put a 6 month block on it, the majority of them won't even bother, I suspect.

This doesn't solve the problem of them then posting ads on the regular boards (whether well disguised or not), but it does make the marketplace fit for purpose for the members who really make this site.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, perhaps, instead of 5 posts, just set a time limit, like 2 weeks after subscribing.
Craig S

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belong to another forum. The requirement to buy/sell on that site is 50 "quality" posts.

Does not include one word/one line posts. Must ask a valid question or add to a discussion in some way. On here, simply asking "What kind of trumpet should I buy?" wouldn't count because it's been asked (I assume) a million times, but, say, "What kind of trumpet should I buy for xyz purpose?" might. Posts that aren't substantive are deleted by the mods, and the poster is warned. Too many times and the user is banned.

Also on that site, PMs are blocked--except to mods in the case of issues--until the 50 post threshold. This is done in order to keep people from just going around the limit and doing the sale anyway. This puts A LOT on the mods to look at every post and evaluate it, if it's from a new member, but it does tend to keep the forum clear of redundant or inane threads. You will and do have the members with exactly 50 post who only post in the classifieds to sell things, but they went about the way the mods wanted them too.

There is one way to go around the 50 post rule and that is to donate $20 to support the site. It goes toward keeping the site up. If they do that, the member can go immediately and sell his or her wares.

Just some ideas that seem to work over there. I am a big fan of the site supporter option as it keeps even veiled attempts to pad post counts down and makes money to keep things going.

Just my two cents!
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a suggestion that could possibly be more developed. A VeteraN member/mod can “confirm” a sale or “trust” a member or something of the sort that would grant that member access to the marketplace and be able to sell their item. Maybe 5 would be required.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fail to see why requiring any posts of substance is any different than allowing new members to post to the marketplace immediately.

There are people who are concerned about the quality or content of the five posts. These people can always look at the seller's post counts and review the posts, even if 5 posts are not required.

Requiring one or more posts does make it harder on the automated scammers which used to post on this site in the past.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I fail to see why requiring any posts of substance is any different than allowing new members to post to the marketplace immediately.

There are people who are concerned about the quality or content of the five posts. These people can always look at the seller's post counts and review the posts, even if 5 posts are not required.

This is right on the money. The hazing of newcomers is becoming pathetic; some of the long-time "regulars" like to drive off newbies with insults and even personal attacks on their character, even though they are following the rules. In fact, these personal attacks are often clearly violating the posting guidelines. I don't see how anyone is hurt by a new user posting five messages and then posting an ad.

There's even a stock insult used against newcomers, and I see it ("FPW") in the poll. How is the forum (or any member) hurt by someone posting five times and advertising? Why is this so upsetting?

I think there is a genuine need to prevent spam that has nothing to do with trumpets. The notion that there's a danger from posts that don't meet up with someone's ill-defined notion of "post quality" is ridiculous, especially when a newbie's clueless first post is compared to the "post quality" of posts from veteran members gleefully hazing and attacking new members, or veteran members who are constantly trolling.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg

Last edited by mm55 on Wed May 09, 2018 5:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone is being attacked report it to the moderators via PM. And realize mods cannot be everywhere at once 24/7 and what constitutes abuse is often subjective. And do not respond in the thread, just makes more work.
Craig S

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I am a new member here, only a couple of weeks. In looking through threads, I've seen a lot of "Post 1," "Post 2," etc. My comments above about "quality posts" keeps those kinds of posts down. The ones that pop up in the other forum I referenced are removed. This is to keep the threads in sub-forums from getting clogged up with those types of posts.

Being so new, I don't know what the point of the marketplace is to the forum members here (obviously to buy/sell things). What I mean is, on the other forum, it is meant to be a perk for contributing members of the community. The post requirement is more to dissuade people from joining just to sell something and leave. There, to my knowledge, have not been issues with spam bots or anything.

The post count gives people buying and selling a piece of mind in doing business online with people they have never met in person. They can, and usually have, interacted online with the people they buy from or sell to. This means that they can have some sense of who that person is prior to the exchange of money, which, on that site, is generally $300-$800 per transaction. The horns here can be, from what I've seen, anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand. When dealing with those kinds of sums, a bit of piece of mind goes a long way.

That all being said, things can be done here however the powers that be decide they should be done. I'm simply explaining why things are done that way over there. If the post count here is only to keep the ads coming from real people, then that is what it is. Perhaps having a disclaimer on the marketplace stating what the post count is meant to do with a link to a general "Get your 5 posts in on this thread" on the forum would keep both veteran members and new members looking only to sell things happy. That way the moderators can ensure the ads are from real people, the veteran members don't have to worry about seeing a large amount of duplicate threads, and new members won't be attacked or can sell their wares.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 5 post chumps are like the dude who goes to eat the free food at the happy hour but never buys a drink

in french they are what we call profiteurs

they only take (sell their junk) but never give back (become part of the communit).

that is what ebay or craigslist is for
http://highdefinitionbigband.com

Last edited by homebilly on Wed May 09, 2018 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
the 5 post chumps ...

A lot of talk like this (and more) is heaped on many new posters. In those cases, it's a personal attack on a new member. It's a horrible way to welcome a new member to the community, and it's a violation of the posting guidelines in the usage agreement. But hey, it's good sport, and many of the "veteran members" have a great time patting each other on the back about how they ran off the Big Bad Five Post Newbie. Nobody deserves that kind of childish treatment.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is actually annoying and wasteful of our time are the continual and never ending negative comments aimed at new members.

The current guideline is 5 posts and you can use the marketplace. That does not make ANY other member here need to buy, communicate or even seriously consider a new member's item offered for sale.

If this is changed to a higher number, then the same members are going to have a whinge when people post 10, or 50 useless posts, in order to put something up for sale...

At which point, I will continue to ignore the silly posts, enjoy my low blood pressure and buy what I feel like, from who I feel like, when I feel like it.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: