• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Two new trumpet concertos: "Hedonism," and "A

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenSajo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Two new trumpet concertos: "Hedonism," and "A Reply with quote

Dear Trumpeters,

I hope this post finds you well. My name is Benjamin Sajo, a composer and trumpeter. I'm excited to have found this site and to connect with the community.

This story might be familiar to most of you, but I fell in love with the trumpet at an early age. As a teacher, I deeply enjoyed passing this passion to new generations.

I'd like to share with you two compositions that I've been shopping around for several years; being orchestral, it's like fishing for whales in a lake. That being said, I've put my heart and soul into these works. "Abandonment" was my graduate thesis, whereas "Hedonism" was my entry into the 2012 Doc Severinson Trumpet Competition. Both are part of larger-scale heptology that ultimately will become my magnum opus in all practicalities.

Neither of these works have ever been performed, but it is my dream to at least have a reading of them. They are for a large orchestra with the addition of a saxophone section.

The program notes can be found on the scores, but, in a nutshell, "Abandonment" is inspired by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross's five stages of grief (Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression, and Acceptance) with the trumpet representing the protagonist's heroic journey throughout this psychological landscape. "Hedonism" is a very Gershwinesque and sartorial adventure that transitions from a Charleston through a Gil Evans aesthetic.

I know that both are challenging, and I have versions for both C and B-flat trumpets. I mean, they're concertos!

Below is a Google Drive link to "Abandonment"--the trumpet part is at the back(B-flat version)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IIaRHbYdnwa5yX45uBlfLlN6t3DBq9B6

Same score, but with the trumpet part in C:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RBJ8VrvxWkvKPQXLm1TR6VFmZrfQghdS

Below is a Google Drive link to "Hedonism" for B-flat trumpet:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZqSpRM_lCzJ2j9g9FDB_3SOjgIqvmrsW

I don't have a C version for this one, currently.

I'm sharing this here because I want to share my music with whoever would be interested in taking it on as a project. They are very colourful and dramatic works that demand a passionate and expressive performance. I would be deeply honoured if this would be the work for you.

I am based in Ottawa, Canada. If you're nearby, I'd be happy to meet in person, too! Either way, on the internet, geography rarely matters

Kind regards,
Ben
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only perused the trumpet part to Abandonment and noticed the end of the second mvt. labelled "Anger." I like the title(!), and I like the fact that your trumpet-playing background is showing by inserting some rest before the player has to play a high E-flat as the last note! I wish all arrangers and composers thought this way!
BenSajo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! High notes should never be put to waste. Especially for trumpet players, our concertos are essentially musical marathons where the runner needs time to breath and admire the countryside before clambering up that hill.

I actually originally programmatically chose to have the solo trumpets and orchestral trumpets be in different keys to differentiate their brightness, hence the different versions, but then I thought this was a bit too academic. So then I decided to have the orchestral players play on brass lacquered horns and the soloist play silver--that's a joke.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenSajo wrote:
...So then I decided to have the orchestral players play on brass lacquered horns and the soloist play silver--that's a joke.

Nah. Put the section on P-Trumpets!...with different colors!
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Two new trumpet concertos: "Hedonism," and &qu Reply with quote

BenSajo wrote:
...Both are part of larger-scale heptology that ultimately will become my magnum opus in all practicalities....

Meant to ask, what is a "heptology?" I see the definition of "hepatology" on google as:

"Hepatology is the branch of medicine that incorporates the study of liver, gallbladder, biliary tree, and pancreas as well as management of their disorders."

...but I don't think your work has anything to do with gallbladders (or maybe the trumpet soloist will feel it there after playing one of these concertos!).
BenSajo

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pardon, a heptalogy is a series of seven works, like a trilogy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: