• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Upper teeth contacting lower lip?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrumpetBoy907

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Upper teeth contacting lower lip? Reply with quote

I've noticed in the past few weeks that sometimes when I play, especially at quieter playing in the upper register, that my bottom lip contacts my top teeth. This hasn't caused any adverse side effects (my top lip rolls out and my bottom lip in, so the bottom never has done much vibrating anyways), but I'd sure like to kick the habit if I can, I feel my playing would improve if the airstream had a more direct flow to the mouthpiece, and not having to go around my teeth. Any tips, criticisms, or speculations would be more than welcome!
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Upper teeth contacting lower lip? Reply with quote

TrumpetBoy907 wrote:
I've noticed in the past few weeks that sometimes when I play, especially at quieter playing in the upper register, that my bottom lip contacts my top teeth. This hasn't caused any adverse side effects (my top lip rolls out and my bottom lip in, so the bottom never has done much vibrating anyways), but I'd sure like to kick the habit if I can, I feel my playing would improve if the airstream had a more direct flow to the mouthpiece, and not having to go around my teeth. Any tips, criticisms, or speculations would be more than welcome!

So the sensation you're getting is like saying the letter "F," correct? I've noticed this helps control the airstream for me, especially when playing softly, and I've consulted some other professionals who've confirmed they do the same. If it still sounds good, then you might not want to fret over changing this. That said, there's nothing wrong with trying to become more efficient in our playing, so pursuing a mechanical approach that you feel will be more in that direction is not necessarily a bad thing. However, if it works (namely, if it sounds good), then you might want to be careful in trying to change things, or as the axiom goes: "If it works, don't fix it."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: