• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Any studies on measuring mouthpiece pressure?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Any studies on measuring mouthpiece pressure? Reply with quote

Do any of you know of any scientific studies that have been done on measuring mouthpiece pressure? I know addressing the phenomenon has been discussed in many threads and that there are all kinds of techniques and even devices to directly self-train the player to help minimize mouthpiece pressure. Just curious if any study with scientific data has been documented along with its affects on the teeth and neighboring aspects of a player's physique.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=146884
Mac Gollehon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1972 Dr Elmer White at Appalachian State University wrote a detailed book titled Electromyographic Potentials of Selected Facial Muscles And Labial Mouthpiece Pressure Measurements in the Embouchure of Trumpet Players. I had a copy for years until someone borrowed it. It is available at Columbia University Library I think. There is data in the publication comparing numerous Trumpet players both pro and intermediate as well as casual hobbyists. Other players involved in this study were Roy Stevens ,Vince Penzarella ,Dr Elmer White and Dr Basmajian I think. 1972 was a long time ago and the author stated more than once that additional data and research was needed. A great starting point and read for sure and still as controversial and elusive today as it was in 1972.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: