• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mitchell Tone and Attack Study

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Mitchell Tone and Attack Study Reply with quote

Does anyone else practice a Tone and Attack Study from the Mitchell books everyday?

If so, do you always play them with a bold, firm attack, or do you try different attacks?
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mitchell Tone and Attack Study Reply with quote

loweredsixth wrote:
Does anyone else practice a Tone and Attack Study from the Mitchell books everyday?

If so, do you always play them with a bold, firm attack, or do you try different attacks?

I don't play them every day, but I teach them.

I teach them as "full and singing," accentato.

My goal with them is to have the student 100% sure of the pitch and the sound that they want in their mind as they're playing -- no pussyfooting or waffling.

If a kid gets a little less bold than I want, I'll sing along in an exaggerated "opera" voice for a couple of bars (something that no one ever wants to hear).

There are plenty of articulation studies in the Mitchell books and elsewhere -- use these exercises to find the exact resonance of your body and your horn operating together.

-Denny
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I alternate articulation patterns: slurred, then clear, distinctive staccato, then legato and connected with a very light touch. The legato is the most difficult and humbling, I think, but very worthwhile. Works with exercises in Mitchell and many other books too.
Piccolo Stomvi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: