• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry 600's Cornet MPC's. What To Expect ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Curry 600's Cornet MPC's. What To Expect ? Reply with quote

Well I just got what I hope is an awesome deal: 3 Curry Cornet pieces in "very fine" used condition. A 20M, 30M and 30C, all silver for $40 USD for all 3 + shipping. They haven't arrived yet. Being a novice, I'm curious as to what to expect ? My experience is limited to Bach's and Blessing's. I hear everyone raving about the Curry's, so I thought I better pounce on these. The closest MPC I like right now is my Bach 10 1/2 C, but I do find it a little uncomfortably sharp on the inner rim. I'm told the 600 series is very comfortable without sacrificing performance. I did muck around with a Bach 3F for awhile and found it fun to hit the higher notes, but lost control over the lower register, so shallow cups are a concern. I was told to get a deep Curry MPC for the true Cornet sound, but this OLDS Special, with the 2 tone bell, is already a pretty mellow sounding horn and I can't at my level of talent pay and pray away $90 on something that might not work. I'm up in Canada and between international shipping and Customs and Taxes, these could stress my budget, having to go through a pile. Any insights and opinions ???
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that listing, was tempted to pounce on it (thinking they may well be decent sop pieces) but decided against in the end.

Tbh I suspect the tone you'll get won't be particularly cornetty (it wouldn't be for 99%+ of players) but they'll still play well if they suit you...
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop...Would the 30 C not have sufficient depth ? Quite interesting is his chart that says all the 600 Series MPC"s Bach equivalents are E's and F's which are pretty shallow, including his C's. I think that is what you are alluding to, that none of these are deep, if we look at the Bach equivalents ? He also doesn't make a distinction in the chart as to whether these are trumpet or cornet listings. Even the "Flugal Deep" are given Bach equivalents in the Bach E and F range. I can't understand why he would make all these 600 Series MPC's if they were only restricted to the shallow Bach equivalents E and F. Strange. Maybe he'll see this post and comment on it.
http://currympc.com/index.php?id=48
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I mean by cornet standards a C cup is pretty shallow to begin with.

If you're satisfied with the 10.5c, then it might well work for you anyway (fingers crossed), but I can't imagine the tone being distinctly cornetty rather than trumpetty... But I guess it depends on you and your level of development to some extent whether the results are satisfactory.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Olds Special tritone is pretty well known for it's cornet sound on account of that copper bell end softening things up. It sounds quite different than a trumpet no matter what MPC I play with..I also have a 7C and you can still definitely tell you are hearing a cornet.

I still would love to hear from Mike Curry re his chart as stated above. It doesn't make a ton of sense to me at least.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of how much copper (or any other material) you use, very much secondary to other design characteristics in any case, a cornet with a trumpet-like mouthpiece in the end is going to tend towards a trumpetty sound for most players.

That's not to say there's anything wrong with that sound, if it's working for you with that kind of cup and you like the sound then who's to judge?

As far as I can tell, Mark (sic) Curry's comparison using E and F cup variants is purely for rim size, but I could be wrong there.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP is posting from the U.K but that doesn't mean we should assume that he's seeking a BBB cornet sound.

Trad music is well and alive in the U.K so, before we talk about a "trumpety" sound, perhaps we should find out what kind of playing he's making. After all he has been using a Bach 10.5 C with his horn.

BTW sounds like a killer of a purchase. Three mouthpieces for $40.00 you can't go wrong.

(Abraxas, could you consider breaking your posts into a few paragraphs for some of us whose eyesight has a problem following one block of text. Thanks.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I live in London, Canada. The Empire got around and there are Londons everywhere.

I've used both a 10 1/2C and a 7C on this cornet and I don't think anyone hearing it would be mistaken in saying it's a cornet.

The copper tip Olds Special has been noted to have a real soft cornet sound as compared to it's regular cornet peers. I've never been really motivated to run out and get a deep V cup as some have suggested for all cornets.

I'll be really happy if those Bach equivalents are just rim size and not cup depth. I guess I will soon find out.

Cheers.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abraxas wrote:
Actually, I live in London, Canada. The Empire got around and there are Londons everywhere.

LOL!

(And thanks for the paragraphs. )

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got those three mpcs. What a steal !! The deepest was the 30 C and seemed to be comparable to the old Bach 10 1/2 C, I was using, as far as depth. As predicted it did take some of that wooden (for lack of a better description) sound of the Cornet away, but I'm still quite happy with them. As advertised, they are a lot more comfortable on the lips. They push my range upwards, which took some getting used to in so far as restraining my air. Lastly and this is what I noticed most, is how much less air I have to put into the horn to get any note out of it. It's just like effortlessly exhaling a normal breath now. I take it that has something to do with the bore, but at my skill level have no wisdom on assessing what part of the geometry accomplished that. I wouldn't want to switch back and forth between these and my regular roster, so I'll just use the 30C. The jury is still out on the shallower cups. Not sure why I'd want them in there. Maybe screaming, but the 30 C has already added as many notes to the top as I'll use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: