• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Al Cass 3x1 Mouthpiece Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
philtpt

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Al Cass 3x1 Mouthpiece Questions Reply with quote

Hello trumpet community,

I recently purchased a trumpet mouthpiece at a garage sale and I’m looking to get some info on it.

It says “AL CASS MILFORD MASS 3 x 1” on it, but it looks poorly engraved (probably not done by a machine?). The inside of the cup is silver but the rest is unplated.

Can anyone tell me anything about this mouthpiece? What size it is? When it was made? How much it is worth?
ohnecael

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to what i have been able to read from other forum posts on this site and other sites, this is supposedly a line of screamer mouthpieces and the 3X1 is the deepest of the bunch
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Al Cass 3x1 Mouthpiece Questions Reply with quote

philtpt wrote:
It says “AL CASS MILFORD MASS 3 x 1” on it, but it looks poorly engraved (probably not done by a machine?).

This is typical. He used an electric engraving pen to mark his mouthpieces.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah man...fantastic small group jazz piece for smaller diameter cats.. It's around a .620 diameter..and I think feels a tad bigger because of the rim shape. Jazz cats like Booker Little and some others played 1-28 models a lot of the time..Pretty similar to the 3x1, but a bigger diameter. The 3X3 is also a wonderful jazz piece..especially in louder small group situations.. Here is a fairly adequate demonstration

Link

User Brad Goode was a long time student of Red's as I understand and posts here..He would have more info I'm sure. Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the road in 1968, I was playing outside of Boston and tried unsuccessfully to get over to Milford and see Al after I came across a 4X1 in a local store. Though we never got together in person, we had frequent phone visits and I bought a lot of mouthpieces from him. At the time, the 4-series was the widest diameter with the 3 narrower and the 2 even narrower. The 4X1 was pretty big compared to the others. The 1 designated deepest and the shallowest of each series was the 5.

I eventually settled on the 3X3 for legit work and the 3X5 for lead. I never played the 3X1 though I must have had one at some point.

Alan
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a site with Al Cass info

http://www.alcasstribute.com/

Proceed with caution; I see a lot of buggy-looking pop-ups when I access it. Use a safe browser.

In my uneducated opinion, the Cass pieces were from a time when the Bach 10 1/2 size was fairly popular. All the Cass pieces are on the small side for today's preferences. Even the 4 series, which he advertised as a "symphony" piece or as a transitional piece, is probably only about a Bach 5 size (though the Cass rims have no relation to a Bach rim).

As a 3C-type player myself, I do have a 3x1 cornet piece. It is really too small and shallow for me to do anything with. I have a 4x2 that I can and have actually used. I have owned a 1-28 before -- still just too small.

They are/were certainly interesting mouthpieces and have become somewhat of a collector's item. There is a 3x1 on true auction currently on ebay. It might give you an idea of the value at the end.

-- Joe
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've collected a few over the years, and among others, still have my 3 x 4, which is pretty shallow for me, but plays amazing if I act like I'm barely playing. Takes some getting used to, but Cass knew what he was doing.

ed
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjl wrote:
Here is a site with Al Cass info

http://www.alcasstribute.com/

Proceed with caution; I see a lot of buggy-looking pop-ups when I access it. Use a safe browser.

The site appears to have been infected with something.
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Cats Reply with quote

"We Pot" sounds an awful lot like "Wee Dot."

Great vid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: