• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Billy Joel Cornet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.billyjoel.com/news/look-back-west-52nd-street/
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So-o-o-o, according to the link, the trumpet in the photo (a Conn Constellation) is not the horn used on the solo and the solo was played by Freddie Hubbard and NOT Billy Joel? This would make sense, as I have never seen a BJ performance that featured him on trumpet. Now I'll have to look up what Freddie was playing.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know that Billy Joel is guilty of trumpet appropriation.

What I want to know is who really played the flute solo that Ron Burgundy took credit for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c_ufaxeSTs
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:
So-o-o-o, according to the link, the trumpet in the photo (a Conn Constellation) is not the horn used on the solo and the solo was played by Freddie Hubbard and NOT Billy Joel? This would make sense, as I have never seen a BJ performance that featured him on trumpet. Now I'll have to look up what Freddie was playing.

I'm guessing a Callichio......
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, according to the player/horn page, Callichio is a decent guess. Freddy evidently played a number of horns:

Conn Artist 8B,
Bach Mercury,
Olds Ambassador(w/pickup),
Martin Cmmittee
Getzen,
Callichio

I don't know whether this list is chronological or not...and IDK when in his career the Joel album came. I have heard that Freddy blew out his lip and couldn't play very long or as well as before at the end of his career, which was very sad. What a great player.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:
Actually, according to the player/horn page, Callichio is a decent guess. Freddy evidently played a number of horns:

Conn Artist 8B,
Bach Mercury,
Martin Cmmittee
Getzen,
Callichio

I don't know whether this list is chronological or not...and IDK when in his career the Joel album came. I have heard that Freddy blew out his lip and couldn't play very long or as well as before at the end of his career, which was very sad. What a great player.

Freddie played Collichio's and I THINK that's what he was playing when the Joel album was recorded. Just a guess though, I mean guys switch around a lot, right?
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not listened to the cut Zanzibar that Freddie plays on in a while. If I remember correctly he solos twice on the song. Billy sings the chorus in between Freddie's solos. It sounds like Freddie plays the first solo section on Flugelhorn and Trumpet on the second.
Carl Fischer was playing on Billy's band the last I knew and tears it up on the solo.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: 1978, 1992 Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:

Conn Artist 8B,
Bach Mercury,
Martin Cmmittee
Getzen,
Callichio

The Billy Joel album you all are talking about was released in 1978. Freddie Hubbard injured his lip in 1992. My easy guess is that Mr. Hubbard was still very much in his playing prime when he recorded the trumpet solos on Zanzibar.
Kazz

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddie was a jazz icon. Great solo. Carl Fischer, Billy's current trumpet player and former Maynard Ferguson band member, plays the solo live. Amazing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: